NYI: Brassard, Kuhnhackl
NYR: Howden, Andersson
Ott: Anisimov, Pageau
Phi: Laughton, Bunnaman
Pit: Bjugstad, Blueger
TBL: Johnson, Smith
Tor: Kerfoot, Spezza
Was: Stephenson, Dowd
That Nashville 3rd/4th line centre stands out...Turris $6M...Bonino $4M...

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The flip side has to the Oilers... I hadnt even heard of Cave and Haas before this preseason... must be min wage or ELC's...

Cave played for the Bruins and Oilers last season. He's a 24-year-old undrafted center who brings nothing offensively and doesn't seem to move the needle defensively either. Filler junk on the level of what Schaller was last season but at center.

Hass is a 27-year-old center out of the Swiss league. He was a ~0.5 PPG player in a league where former NHL nobodies such as the esteemed Josh Holden can play at a near 1 PPG pace well into their late 3os. So a complete nobody who's very likely to provide less than nothing for the Oil.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Why would the Canucks blueline be better than the Oilers in a few years?..Edler,Tanev,Myers aren't getting any younger?
I might not like the contract, but I don't think Myers will fall of the cliff in the next few years in terms of performance.

Jimbo didn't deal a 1st line forward for a #4 (re: Myers vs Larssen).

Plus those aging D vets will be better for helping to insulate Hughes. Oilers don't have that luxory with their D prospects.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I might not like the contract, but I don't think Myers will fall of the cliff in the next few years in terms of performance.

Jimbo didn't deal a 1st line forward for a #4 (re: Myers vs Larssen).

Plus those aging D vets will be better for helping to insulate Hughes. Oilers don't have that luxory with their D prospects.
Edmonton has Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse (who are better than the Canucks top 3) so how exactly can they not insulate Broberg and Bouchard?

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Once Roussell is healthy, I’d like to see a bottom six like this:

Roussell Gaudette Leivo
Motte/Schaller Beagle Virtanen

with hopefully Sutter traded away and Eriksson shot out of a canon.

Although even then I don’t see much of a performance improvement except we put a young player in a position to play and gain cap relief.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Edmonton has Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse (who are better than the Canucks top 3) so how exactly can they not insulate Broberg and Bouchard?
Klefbom is a good player... I like him.
Nurse is Sbisa with a better shot, and slightly fewer puck gaffes... huge toolbox, not enough IQ.
Larson is a healthier more physical Tanev... a defensive dman only with less IQ and skating ability.

Reactions: bh53

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Guess $10.9 mill in cap spending only gets you so much.
We can laugh all we want about the Marner contract, but then we are paying more for our 4th line, so jokes on us.
As for the game, I'm excited to get the season going. I think we lose a tight one on the road, 4-3 OTL. McDavid with a 4 point game to start the season (probably 4 unassisted goals by the look of his linemates).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
And looking at their roster it's hard to comprehend how they're up against the cap ceiling, when unlike us they're spending relatively little on their bottom six. Also ironically for the high profile trades Chiarelli messed up his Scrivens for Kassian trade I think is a better value deal than anything Benning has been able to pull off.

Gudbranson for Pearsson comes to mind.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The bottom 6 definitely is a bit of a buzz kill. Was looking forward to seeing a top 9 that looks dangerous offensively with Gaudette as the 3LC and Sven on his wing. Now we have a decent top 6 and what looks to be a random mix of bottom 6 players, there's no clear role/cohesion in that bottom 6.

I would be much more excited for tomorrow if these were the lines:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller
Baertschi - Gaudette - Leivo
Virtanen - Beagle - Sutter

With the following usage from favourable to least favourable in terms of zone starts and line matching.

T-1) 1st Line
T-1) 3rd Line
3) 2nd Line
4) 4th Line

I'm also not a huge fan of Edler -Myers, I'd go:

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Benn - Myers

Reactions: bh53 and Red
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad