Pre-Game Talk: Gm 1 of 82. @ Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The bottom 6 definitely is a bit of a buzz kill. Was looking forward to seeing a top 9 that looks dangerous offensively with Gaudette as the 3LC and Sven on his wing. Now we have a decent top 6 and what looks to be a random mix of bottom 6 players, there's no clear role/cohesion in that bottom 6.

I would be much more excited for tomorrow if these were the lines:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller
Baertschi - Gaudette - Leivo
Virtanen - Beagle - Sutter

With the following usage from favourable to least favourable in terms of zone starts and line matching.

T-1) 1st Line
T-1) 3rd Line
3) 2nd Line
4) 4th Line

I'm also not a huge fan of Edler -Myers, I'd go:

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Benn - Myers
You’ll probably see it all eventually.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I feel like Edler Tanev and Hughes Myers works better.
I'd rather not put Hughes with an anchor that he'll have to repeatedly cover for when he makes gaffes. Tanev is a better option, even if he has regressed quite a bit.

Biega also would have been a great partner for him

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I'd rather not put Hughes with an anchor that he'll have to repeatedly cover for when he makes gaffes. Tanev is a better option, even if he has regressed quite a bit.

Biega also would have been a great partner for him
But thats sort of one of the best parts of hughes game. His skating allows him to recover when a mistake is made in the offensive zone. In the dzone tho it could be a tirefire, but I don't like the foot speed of Edler - Myers. I feel like Edler needs to be paired with a good skater (Tanev, stetcher, etc)

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
But thats sort of one of the best parts of hughes game. His skating allows him to recover when a mistake is made in the offensive zone. In the dzone tho it could be a tirefire, but I don't like the foot speed of Edler - Myers. I feel like Edler needs to be paired with a good skater (Tanev, stetcher, etc)
Yeah, I just don't want to put too much pressure on Hughes to carry his partner defensively. Putting him with a smart partner who makes minimal gaffes is the best option at this point. Biega or Tanev could cover for him well.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Biega

Tanev - Myers

would be my ideal pairings, but I don't think Myers or Tanev have ever played the left.. Would be interesting to try out at least, though.

Reactions: VintageBure

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Its one game why the over-reaction of Gaudette sitting out? Im sure he's plenty happy to earn a NHL paycheque, fly private, and practice with the big boys rather than be in Utica.

Obviously i'd prefer him in over anyone else in the bottom-6 but we know how these things play out by now. If by game 3 he's still not in then for sure ill be hand-wringing too.

Reactions: Canucko

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Klefbom is a good player... I like him.
Nurse is Sbisa with a better shot, and slightly fewer puck gaffes... huge toolbox, not enough IQ.
Larson is a healthier more physical Tanev... a defensive dman only with less IQ and skating ability.
Sbisa? Yikes bad take, but I remember you thought Sbisa was good?

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
I wonder how Beagle and Sutter compare to any other third and fourth line centers in the entire league? They might be the worst in all of hockey is you just look at their production over the past two seasons relative to what they earn.

For all of the pumping of tires about all the positive changes on the Cancuks, the bottom six might actually be worse than a year ago, if that's possible. A total of $15.5m in cap space tied up in Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter and Schaller....surely the most spendthrift third and fourth lines in the Salary Cap Era.

I have no idea how Benning can look at this flotsam and jetsam third and fourth lines, and not feel at least a little queasy.
Beagle has been here 1/season and won a cup and was a key piece. Sutter was doing well before his injuries. But way to not let facts get in the way of your ranting.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Beagle has been here 1/season and won a cup and was a key piece. Sutter was doing well before his injuries. But way to not let facts get in the way of your ranting.

Wish we had more won-a-cuppery in the lineup.

And more well-doing-before-injuryrery.

Seriously. They were both overpaid even if they repeated their best seasons, and their play dropped to replacement level.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
The first game is always really exciting for a bottom tier team, because that's the ONE night of the season your team has a seriously legit chance and being first over all in the standings! I'M PUMPED!

Reactions: Zombotron

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
Hoping for a win. Don't care how, we need to start putting up the points against the weaker teams. Go Canucks Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad