Glendale Lease Drama Thread: Part II (REMINDER in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The team, barring some sort of magical gift from Phoenix or the Suns, cannot survive the wait for a new downtown arena. Much better to sue the **** out of Glendale, exercise the five year out when it comes time, and move downtown with more concrete plans in place.

Yeah, that's how I see it.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The team, barring some sort of magical gift from Phoenix or the Suns, cannot survive the wait for a new downtown arena. Much better to sue the **** out of Glendale, exercise the five year out when it comes time, and move downtown with more concrete plans in place.

The team gave $9M back to the city. If it is less costly to play downtown, I'd imagine it is a viable option because they can keep all their profits. However they would lose some sources of income. I think it is possible but not ideal.

The team needs to fight Glendale on this. It would be bad of they mutually terminated the contract because of their contracts with their vendors and sponsors. Don't want to be sued for damages themselves. Plus, can't let a city run your business. Still think this whole thing is a grudge from when the lease agreement passed and Wiers was asking for more time right before the vote took place. Then when Sherwood had a vote to remove the cities outclausse in the agreement.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
His point about the Yotes getting the heck away from Glendale (and into the arms of the City of Phoenix) are right on.

However, I'm not seeing a whole lot of that sentiment from Coyotes fans. Instead, they want to fight to stay in Glendale.

I don't get it. Moving downtown and then to a new arena in the semi-near future seems like a real upgrade.
We all WANT the coyotes to move to an actual city like Phoenix. It's just not going to happen.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What about the right to make a living?

Nothing to do with it. We're talking about Glendale claiming that an anti corruption statute applies due to Tindall's work with the Coyotes. Tindall has a contract with a waiver of conflict of interest claims. I still think that this is the COG's attempt to get out from under both the Coyotes and the baseball complex which is draining the city worse than the Coyotes and the hockey arena, by losing in court and declaring bankruptcy.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Roenick unloads on Glendale: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/roenick-unloads-on-glendale-city-council/

“I was disgusted, to tell you the truth. I think it’s an unbelievable amount of disrespect to the owners of the Coyotes who came in and bought the team and did a deal with the Glendale City Council to keep a team in Arizona. That was pretty much the basis of keeping the team in Arizona, was the support of Glendale. The fact that a year later, a year and a half later, they’re running around and reneging on a deal is injust, to tell you the truth. It’s 100 percent injust.

“Whatever the case may be of how it got approved, or why it got approved, the fact of the matter is that it got approved. And I am a true believer in when you make a deal, you live up to your deal and you live by your deal.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The right to make a living has nothing to do with unions, it's for everyone.

Not on subject, but it's not the right to make a living, it's the "right to not be a member of a union." It's also "right to not make a living wage, or have any sort of protection against employer abuses other than the 13th Amendment."

Back ON topic: right now, I have my severe doubts that the Yotes are going to be playing in Glendale in five years. However, I also doubt that they will be playing home games outside of the state of Arizona by that time.

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Non-Yotes fan here, just dropping by to say how much this sucks, and I'm sorry you guys have to deal with it! Glendale's move is the shadiest thing imaginable, and hopefully they'll pay for it.

jwhouk

Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I'd actually be willing to put all of my vCash on a prop bet: Which will happen first: The Coyotes moving out of Arizona, or the Toronto Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup?

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Am I crazy though to think that lets say we win the suit, come out of it with, say we win 30 million for damages from Glendale, that that would be enough to stay afloat with moving to downtown Phoenix this year? That theoretically covers the subsidy for the next two years, we move in with the Suns at Talking Stick while a new arena is being built to house both of us. We benefit because we are closer to the entirety of the fan base and get to keep the majority of our profits, unlike giving up 9 million of it to Glendale.

Am I crazy to think that that would work or am I missing something?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Am I crazy though to think that lets say we win the suit, come out of it with, say we win 30 million for damages from Glendale, that that would be enough to stay afloat with moving to downtown Phoenix this year? That theoretically covers the subsidy for the next two years, we move in with the Suns at Talking Stick while a new arena is being built to house both of us. We benefit because we are closer to the entirety of the fan base and get to keep the majority of our profits, unlike giving up 9 million of it to Glendale.

My hope is they stay right where they are, win a fat judgment and mayor Weird has to resign in disgrace. The city has so much invested in the Cards, Yotes and spring training, we need a mayor that will work to drive as much revenue out of the sports partnerships as possible, not try to run them off. How much money did he just cost the city with this idiotic move and not taking advantage of the super bowl? Weird is hurting this city on a daily basis. He needs to go.

jwhouk

Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net

Glendale would then declare bankruptcy, or find some other stupid way to get out of paying out the damages from any lawsuit.

This crap is why I have no desire at all to move to the West Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad