Speculation: Glen Sather ready to retire?

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
And that is why I was laughing at people who honestly thought GLEN SATHER would retire at the end of this offseason. Ha. Ha.

We got another 5+ years of him MINIMUM. I wouldn't be surprised to see him here in 10 Years.

He is the worst thing to ever happen to the New York Rangers. People want to talk about a curse? Well guess what, if we are cursed it is manifested itself in Sather.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
And that is why I was laughing at people who honestly thought GLEN SATHER would retire at the end of this offseason. Ha. Ha.

We got another 5+ years of him MINIMUM. I wouldn't be surprised to see him here in 10 Years.

He is the worst thing to ever happen to the New York Rangers. People want to talk about a curse? Well guess what, if we are cursed it is manifested itself in Sather.

Historically, I think World War II was the worst thing to ever happen to the Rangers, but Sather is up there on the list. He was brought in and expected to find success in a league that even he could not recognize anymore.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Historically, I think World War II was the worst thing to ever happen to the Rangers, but Sather is up there on the list. He was brought in and expected to find success in a league that even he could not recognize anymore.

He has no idea what he is doing.

This team isn't winning a cup with him running it.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
Lol three things here "Thugice."

Brassard is our best center.
Boyle is a great fourth liner and gives us a ton of flexibility.
McIlrath is not ready for regular minutes in the NHL. If you knew anything outside of his fighting, you would agree with that. Furthermore, if his "short" NHL
stint proved anything, it was to further indicate his need for more time in the A.

I certainly haven't given up on the kid like many here have. I think
he'll be a good piece for a long-time. But right now is not that time. Neither is next year. I say earliest, the 2015-2016 season.

Lol a few things "AHB",

1. What's funny, a silly username? Should I go three letters for street cred vice the name of my home brew....whatever

2. Claiming brassard is our best center is misinformed

3. Boyle at 1.7 while being serviceable yet the weak link on the fourth line guarantees his departure in offseason. Wanna bet?

4. Have read many updates on mcilrath some conflicting, needless to say I'm more online with the ones not claiming brassard our best c.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One can make a case that he is the worst thing that happened to NY Rangers hockey in 50 years. Organizationally speaking, off course.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
If the Rangers go outside the organization for the next GM, get ready for Brian Burke as your next Rangers GM.

Prototypical Dolan pick. Typical lazy, good 'ol boys club choice.

Oh good god no! That would be going from bad to worse.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Leafs never made the playoffs under Burkie... made one high risk trade, and cost them 3 seasons. Good GM, he really is, but he's like a Rick Dudley, you bring him in to build teams, not win.

Nowadays you need asset managers more than anything else. Shero, Chiarelli, Lombardi, they are all younger breed of GMs that take calculated risks, and lock their assets down and done't lose them for nothing... and all of them have had success.

It's as much cap and money management as it is talent evaluation. The Rangers need their Theo Epstein.

SupersonicMonkey*

Eh...Burke is a pain in neck. But, he had a hand in reviving the Canucks, assembled a Stanley Cup winner in Anaheim, and got the Leafs out of a dark age.

There could be worse hirings.

If that happened, though, say bye to Gorton. Would he stick around after getting a snub?

30theking

Mar 31, 2012
It still boggles my mind how he was able to get rid of gomez and get mcdonagh in return. Does bob gainey have a brain?

Ranger Angst

May 3, 2009
Montreal
The McDonough trade saves Sather . The MSL trade might sink him. Dolan is bound to wake up sometime & fire this clown. Ok was dreaming Sather is there for life . Very hard being a Ranger fan.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They made the playoffs last year, are still in the race this year and have some very good pieces to show for his time there moving forward, yes. Upper management axed him like idiots, however, and Nonis is ****ing up what he built.

Making the playoffs and having some good pieces isn't really better than what Sather has done here. That's not success.

If they pick a new GM that isn't Gorton, they'll be making a huge, huge mistake in my opinion. He oversaw a brief period of building the Bruins, but in that period, he made tons of moves that made that team what they are today.

We have someone who did a lot toward building the current Boston team in the Ranger office. And he's playing second to Sather. That's a waste in and of itself. Replacing Sather with anyone but him would be absolutely insane.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The McDonough trade saves Sather . The MSL trade might sink him. Dolan is bound to wake up sometime & fire this clown. Ok was dreaming Sather is there for life . Very hard being a Ranger fan.
Neither statement is true. The McDonough trade did not save Sather. The MSL trade is not going to sink him. When you look at his overall body of work, it is essentially an unmitigated disaster. One good trade and one bad trade does not a difference make.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
He needs to go. Anything he does ruins this team in the big picture save a few trades. a very small few. Maybe also the McDonagh (spell it right. He's been here a while.) contract. But otherwise this man is acidic to the good of this team.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Sather is never going anywhere, period, not until he dies. And since even I can't wish that on the man, we'll just have to hold our noses and hope for the occasional break. Like perhaps an 'elite' player who demands to be traded here - but also PLAYS elite too. As if.

Isiah Thomas had all the ineptness with legal issues to boot, and Dolan STILL wouldn't get rid of him until he had absolutely no choice.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't know if there's anything hockey related that Sather could do which would get him canned. He's going to leave on his own terms no matter what.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sather is never going anywhere, period, not until he dies. And since even I can't with that on the man, we'll just have to hold our noses and hope for the occasional break. Like perhaps an 'elite' player who demands to be traded here - but also PLAYS elite too. As if.
I am still waiting on that one. And you are spot on. Jacks goes nowhere until he decides he is done.
Isiah Thomas had all the ineptness with legal issues to boot, and Dolan STILL wouldn't get rid of him until he had absolutely no choice.
Not only that, but didn't actually consider bringing him back at one point?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Could #Rangers situation regarding Sather's future be delaying Shanahan's decision to accept #Leafs offer? More on @Sportsnet Connected

https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/454367847746387970

Shanahan wants a job with the Rangers. According to Sather,there is no job opening. Shanahan has lived in Manhattan since 2006. What does Shanahan know? He has been involved with the NHL for a while.

Kyper reported in December there was speculation about Sather's future.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Shanahan spoke to the Flames last summer about being their President of hockey operations. He rejected that job. Now Shanahan is talking to the Leafs about the same position. Shanahan would have to move to Toronto. The Leafs job is his if he wants it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad