Speculation: Glen Sather ready to retire?

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I don't think you and I are on the same page - and probably never will be - so I suppose we'll just agree to disagree.

- Yeah, I think it would be insane to go into win-now mode, and think that one year later we can trade a major player, while we are in win-now mode, to recoup next year's first round draft pick.

- if, as you say, the team is 'not winning now short of a literally historic turn around', it makes zero sense to trade away a significant part of your future when even you admit the team is not winning now.

- the St Louis trade, sacrificing first a second round picks, is highly debatable even in a vacuum. When you take into account that Sather also sacrificed a first round pick for Nash and a second round pick for Clowe, THEN add in the first and second for St Louis, that's three years with a grand total of one first round and one second round draft pick. That's it.

- and even with all the above, three years of sacrificing draft picks, it brings us, in your words, to a place where we are 'not winning now, short of a literally historic turn around' is absolutely asinine. And I know you like to frame the 2015 first rounder like it's so far down the road, but Sather's three years of one first round draft pick and one second round draft pick actually started with last year's draft, continues of course through this year's draft, and goes through next year's draft - which by all accounts is supposed to be one of the best draft classes in quite a while.

I know you disagree with all of the above, but I think you're being very short-sighted and also completely wrong, and nothing you say will change my opinion. I'm sure you feel the same way about my opinion, so that's that.

Agree totally. The St. Louis trade (on top of Nash and Clowe) only makes sense if we get to the finals. But that's not happening. This is not a top team, with St. Louis or without him.

That's why Sather's "go for it" is so stupid. We're not in a position to go for it. It would be great if we were, but we're not.

The cherry only goes on top when the rest of the sundae is complete.

Basically we blew another hole in our future and didn't get that much for it.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I think some people have to remember who the owner really is.
If you watched the Phil Jackson announcement on MSG and listened to Dolan's responses to questions from the press it couldn't be any clearer that the man has no business and clearly lacks the intelligence to take on any type of managerial let alone ownership position of any kind. He proved to be a barely coherent fool who quickly gives the impression that he's indeed a drunk who landed MSG and its franchises from daddy.
The best thing fans can do is hope and wish the man just sticks to playing his awful guitar in dive bars and hired the right people to run things. I think he did just that with signing Jackson this week and giving him full autonomy. I believe he has the same relationship with Sather in that he worships the ground he walks on. I definitely agree that Sather would have been fired by now from any other respectable franchise but it is what it is. Ranger fans have to hope for Gorton making most if not all of the personnel decisions and if he goes we better hope to hell Dolan goes out and gets a person like JD to come in.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jim Dolan drinking game. Jim says "you know". Drink up. He must have said "you know" a million times in his two interviews. Sather is the highest paid GM in the NHL and Dolan keeps him around. Don LaGreca said Sather has been here for 10 years and Dolan said its more than 10. You could see Dolan on YES trying to figure out how many years Sather has been here. Dolan came up with the answer after thinking about it. 14 years. Long time. If the Rangers wanted to bring in JD as president of hockey operations or in some other capacity,they had their chance two years ago.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Jim Dolan drinking game. Jim says "you know". Drink up. He must have said "you know" a million times in his two interviews. Sather is the highest paid GM in the NHL and Dolan keeps him around. Don LaGreca said Sather has been here for 10 years and Dolan said its more than 10. You could see Dolan on YES trying to figure out how many years Sather has been here. Dolan came up with the answer after thinking about it. 14 years. Long time. If the Rangers wanted to bring in JD as president of hockey operations or in some other capacity,they had their chance two years ago.

I don't think the chance to bring in JD has vanished just because he's with Columbus at the present time. His position in Columbus isn't permanent.
Yes, they could have brought him in 2 years ago but didn't. That doesn't mean it can never happen. I would think JD would love to come back home. Personally, I think JD has done a great a job in both St. Louis and now with Columbus and wouldn't mind seeing what he can do with this team.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Agree totally. The St. Louis trade (on top of Nash and Clowe) only makes sense if we get to the finals. But that's not happening. This is not a top team, with St. Louis or without him.

That's why Sather's "go for it" is so stupid. We're not in a position to go for it. It would be great if we were, but we're not.

The cherry only goes on top when the rest of the sundae is complete.

Basically we blew another hole in our future and didn't get that much for it.

He would've added 2 or 3 6'3ish 230+ish players, grinder types with hands, size, and horsepower, if he were going for it.

I liked the St.Louis trade, I don't like that it was like "cool, we DID get MSL…now what big body is coming with him? ….uhhhhhh….."

I'm not saying I'd throw any (single) one of our kids and whatever picks for Byfuglien in front of their net in our shirt….but close to it!

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think some people have to remember who the owner really is.
If you watched the Phil Jackson announcement on MSG and listened to Dolan's responses to questions from the press it couldn't be any clearer that the man has no business and clearly lacks the intelligence to take on any type of managerial let alone ownership position of any kind. He proved to be a barely coherent fool who quickly gives the impression that he's indeed a drunk who landed MSG and its franchises from daddy.
The best thing fans can do is hope and wish the man just sticks to playing his awful guitar in dive bars and hired the right people to run things. I think he did just that with signing Jackson this week and giving him full autonomy. I believe he has the same relationship with Sather in that he worships the ground he walks on. I definitely agree that Sather would have been fired by now from any other respectable franchise but it is what it is. Ranger fans have to hope for Gorton making most if not all of the personnel decisions and if he goes we better hope to hell Dolan goes out and gets a person like JD to come in.

This says it all:

"I trust Sather and think he is the best in the business. That team is competing for a playoff spot.â€

He's a jackass with jackass standards.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't think you and I are on the same page - and probably never will be - so I suppose we'll just agree to disagree.

- Yeah, I think it would be insane to go into win-now mode, and think that one year later we can trade a major player, while we are in win-now mode, to recoup next year's first round draft pick.

- if, as you say, the team is 'not winning now short of a literally historic turn around', it makes zero sense to trade away a significant part of your future when even you admit the team is not winning now.

- the St Louis trade, sacrificing first a second round picks, is highly debatable even in a vacuum. When you take into account that Sather also sacrificed a first round pick for Nash and a second round pick for Clowe, THEN add in the first and second for St Louis, that's three years with a grand total of one first round and one second round draft pick. That's it.

- and even with all the above, three years of sacrificing draft picks, it brings us, in your words, to a place where we are 'not winning now, short of a literally historic turn around' is absolutely asinine. And I know you like to frame the 2015 first rounder like it's so far down the road, but Sather's three years of one first round draft pick and one second round draft pick actually started with last year's draft, continues of course through this year's draft, and goes through next year's draft - which by all accounts is supposed to be one of the best draft classes in quite a while.

I know you disagree with all of the above, but I think you're being very short-sighted and also completely wrong, and nothing you say will change my opinion. I'm sure you feel the same way about my opinion, so that's that.

To be completely honest, I was having an awful day yesterday and I was probably more argumentative than was warranted. 100% my bad. I actually don't think we disagree as much as it might appear.

I wouldn't describe anyone who can/will be replaced by a rookie as a "major player" but I see what you're saying. To give an example of my thinking, if Miller makes Brass expendable in the future, Brass could be flipped for a second perhaps (maybe Brass + a later pick for a first?), which wouldn't be bad if there's a replacement in line and it gets the type of picks this team has thrown away as of late. Would a trade like that be an about face on the "win now" thing? I wouldn't think so, but maybe others would?

I agree that the MSL trade gave up too much, but I still don't think it's quite as bad as ruining the future or whatever talk is commonly being used. MSL will play here next year, and perhaps even beyond that, and though his start has been underwhelming, I don't really buy this whole bad juju around the team thing. He's a PPG player and he'll be one here once the sample size expands in my opinion. Many of the guys who came here and "fell off" actually did what could/should have been expected of them from a reasonable person who watched their game. I truly think that once Callahan was lost, the team needed a leader, a leader who actually backs their talk up on the ice consistently unlike Richards/Nash, and MSL is exactly that. I think he can have a very positive effect on the young guys off the ice, and hopefully even on the ice.

I absolutely agree about the Clowe trade and have all along. That was just tremendously stupid, and it makes the MSL trade, which I don't think was a horrible idea on it's own, look worse than it really is.

Maybe my thinking/hoping that some of these picks can be replaced is pie-in-the-sky optimism, but I honestly don't see many other ways to build the team from the point they're at now, save for moving a Nash, MSL, McD, Staal, Girardi type piece. Maybe (hopefully not) Staal will be moved, but that'd be due to him being a UFA unwilling to resign, which is pretty much just embracing the inevitable a few months early. If that has to happen, that could be a place to recoup some assets, though the question of who will play those minutes is a real one.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you were given the reigns of the team as it stands now? Obviously, it's a far fetched idea for any of us, but for me personally, I'd stick with the big guys as they are (unless you can somehow move Nash for a similarly productive player with a better attitude), abandon this dream of somehow winning this year or next year with any certainty, let rookies come up, trade away whoever is in their way assuming that their play is instilling real confidence, and try to recoup the lost picks. From there out, ride the "core" guys and the rookies and see how it builds up. Do you think they need to ride out this "win now" idea because they're already this deep? If so, until when?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...ays-ryan-callahan-price-tag-was-too-high-team

Dolan, making a rare media appearance on ESPN Radio's "The Michael Kay Show" on Tuesday afternoon, said that Callahan's price tag ultimately became too prohibitive for the Rangers' long-term plans.

The Rangers have long term plans?

"I think Ryan, essentially, was asking too much for his services and was going to hamstring the team," Dolan said during a media tour following the New York Knicks' announcement of Phil Jackson. "With that, I think [general manager Glen Sather] did the right thing."

Right, and trading Callahan plus 1st and 2nd round picks for a soon to be 39 yo player doesn't hamstring us?

Dolan's appearances are rare, but not rare enough. Stick to the knicks.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
To be completely honest, I was having an awful day yesterday and I was probably more argumentative than was warranted. 100% my bad. I actually don't think we disagree as much as it might appear.

I wouldn't describe anyone who can/will be replaced by a rookie as a "major player" but I see what you're saying. To give an example of my thinking, if Miller makes Brass expendable in the future, Brass could be flipped for a second perhaps (maybe Brass + a later pick for a first?), which wouldn't be bad if there's a replacement in line and it gets the type of picks this team has thrown away as of late. Would a trade like that be an about face on the "win now" thing? I wouldn't think so, but maybe others would?

I agree that the MSL trade gave up too much, but I still don't think it's quite as bad as ruining the future or whatever talk is commonly being used. MSL will play here next year, and perhaps even beyond that, and though his start has been underwhelming, I don't really buy this whole bad juju around the team thing. He's a PPG player and he'll be one here once the sample size expands in my opinion. Many of the guys who came here and "fell off" actually did what could/should have been expected of them from a reasonable person who watched their game. I truly think that once Callahan was lost, the team needed a leader, a leader who actually backs their talk up on the ice consistently unlike Richards/Nash, and MSL is exactly that. I think he can have a very positive effect on the young guys off the ice, and hopefully even on the ice.

I absolutely agree about the Clowe trade and have all along. That was just tremendously stupid, and it makes the MSL trade, which I don't think was a horrible idea on it's own, look worse than it really is.

Maybe my thinking/hoping that some of these picks can be replaced is pie-in-the-sky optimism, but I honestly don't see many other ways to build the team from the point they're at now, save for moving a Nash, MSL, McD, Staal, Girardi type piece. Maybe (hopefully not) Staal will be moved, but that'd be due to him being a UFA unwilling to resign, which is pretty much just embracing the inevitable a few months early. If that has to happen, that could be a place to recoup some assets, though the question of who will play those minutes is a real one.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you were given the reigns of the team as it stands now? Obviously, it's a far fetched idea for any of us, but for me personally, I'd stick with the big guys as they are (unless you can somehow move Nash for a similarly productive player with a better attitude), abandon this dream of somehow winning this year or next year with any certainty, let rookies come up, trade away whoever is in their way assuming that their play is instilling real confidence, and try to recoup the lost picks. From there out, ride the "core" guys and the rookies and see how it builds up. Do you think they need to ride out this "win now" idea because they're already this deep? If so, until when?

I'm just afraid at next year's deadline Sather trades Staal, a first and a second to San Jose for Joe Thornton, or somewhere for a Joe Thornton type. Nash, Lundqvist and Girardi aren't getting younger, St Louis is in the last year of his contract, how often do you get a chance to trade for a Joe Thornton, blah blah blah.

Then that trade barely squeaks us into the playoffs next year, and hey, who needs draft picks anyway?

I used to hate when Sather was always a buyer - but now we find out he mortgages the future when he's a seller too!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm just afraid at next year's deadline Sather trades Staal, a first and a second to San Jose for Joe Thornton, or somewhere for a Joe Thornton type. Nash, Lundqvist and Girardi aren't getting younger, St Louis is in the last year of his contract, how often do you get a chance to trade for a Joe Thornton, blah blah blah.

Then that trade barely squeaks us into the playoffs next year, and hey, who needs draft picks anyway?

I used to hate when Sather was always a buyer - but now we find out he mortgages the future when he's a seller too!

That would be a nightmare. There's something we can both agree on right off the bat. :laugh:

I hope to sweet baby jesus that Sather isn't behind the desk by next year's deadline. I'd love to see what Gorton could/can do if he's at the top of the totem pole here. We've got a guy who played a significant hand in building one of the league's most dominant teams just a few years ago and he's playing second fiddle to someone who hasn't built a dominant team since long before the cap. It's insane.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I found Dolans comments to be in line with a post I made earlier in this thread. He Dolan said a lot, was very open and actually said he's unsure of the direction the this ranger team has taken.

He didn't sound happy with Sather, said it's been a long time without any championship, said the dynamics of the sport is different from basketball and he doesn't involve himself in decision making. He didn't seem to hot on AVs style of play earlier in the season, said he was very alarmed... And is expecting to make the playoffs.

I honestly think, for the first time, that Sather won't be here next year. That has more to do with the decline of this team from 2012 till now.. How does a team that was rebuilding from 2004 to 2012 peak and decline the way it has?

Mismanagement.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
While torts was here we had identity however torts proved inflexible and ultimately lost support from mostly everyone. he needed to go but the philosophy of building towards something left with him. We have some dead weight and lack a true 1c but despite these facts sather has pushed all the chips to the center of the table.

We need to see what types of returns staal and hags can bring, if not an overpay don't consider and this is IF it looks like staal wants to bolt.

Buyout beaver

Re-sign d. Moore , zucc, pou

By to Boyle, dorsett, brassard

Miller at 3c, fast competing for minute
Mcilrath bottom pair

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
While torts was here we had identity however torts proved inflexible and ultimately lost support from mostly everyone. he needed to go but the philosophy of building towards something left with him. We have some dead weight and lack a true 1c but despite these facts sather has pushed all the chips to the center of the table.

We need to see what types of returns staal and hags can bring, if not an overpay don't consider and this is IF it looks like staal wants to bolt.

Buyout beaver

Mcilrath bottom pair

Great thinking, team badly needs a top 4 offensive RHD, and another legitimate top 6 center. There's going to be a couple of options in the free agent market, but another trade needs to be made to address the top 6 center unless Richards is brought back.

I was one of his biggest supporters but he needs to go. Nice classy guy and all but the on ice performance hasn't picked up and the team has had a couple of no show games at this stage of the season.. Games in which Richards hasn't stepped up.

I really hope there is a movement in the front office by the draft. The Rangers don't have any assets to trade other than the Columbus holdovers, and that's not getting much of a return.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really hope there is a movement in the front office by the draft. The Rangers don't have any assets to trade other than the Columbus holdovers, and that's not getting much of a return.
Don't see it. And I do not see Jackass leaving after this year. His latest trading escapade signaled that the only thought is to win NOW. Which means draft day moves and off season moves will be geared to winning it next year, as that is when St. Louis is signed through. THEN, after he leaves the team with a bereft farm system and in salary cap hell, only then will he possibly retire.

1997 all over again.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I enjoy Dolan's lack of meddling, unfortunately we have 3 main problems as fans:

1. He seems to respect "big shots" and Sather still fancies himself as a big shot even though hes gone over a generation without winning a thing.

2. Dolan's responsibility as owner is recognizing a job poorly done and making a change.

3. If he were to make a change, he has to hire the replacement

....doomed.

Theres a reason the last 20 years have been hideous for both Dolan-owned franchises.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Buyout beaver

Mcilrath bottom pair

If Staal wants to leave, then you absolutely explore the option of trading him. But there's absolutely no reason to trade Hags. He does his job and he does it well. And Brassard is an RFA. Why wouldn't we bring him back? Who plays 2nd line center if both him and Richards are gone. Yeah, he isn't ideal. He's not very good defensively, he doesn't have great size and his offense is streaky. But he's the best we have. And no, I don't want to throw a whole bunch of money as Stastny.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
I enjoy Dolan's lack of meddling, unfortunately we have 3 main problems as fans:

1. He seems to respect "big shots" and Sather still fancies himself as a big shot even though hes gone over a generation without winning a thing.

2. Dolan's responsibility as owner is recognizing a job poorly done and making a change.

3. If he were to make a change, he has to hire the replacement

....doomed.

Theres a reason the last 20 years have been hideous for both Dolan-owned franchises.

Tale of two stories, he meddles with the Knicks and neglects the Rangers.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
If there truly is a merciful God, Sather will retire sooner rather than later.

I absolutely HATED the MSL trade. I wasn't against trading Callahan, but it should have been a trade to try to acquire draft picks and/or trying to pry a blue chip prospect, not trade for a player thats on the downside of his career.

Losing that first next year is killer.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If there truly is a merciful God, Sather will retire sooner rather than later.

I absolutely HATED the MSL trade. I wasn't against trading Callahan, but it should have been a trade to try to acquire draft picks and/or trying to pry a blue chip prospect, not trade for a player thats on the downside of his career.

Losing that first next year is killer.

Not sure that a #20 pick is that
Callahan had to go . but myself - like you - are not happy about the return in this necessary trade
St Louis has been close to abyssmal so far - That is the REAL PROBLEM
We wanted a short term upgrade balking at Callys ridiculous $$$ demands and were ready to sacrifice some high grade futures and our captain for this
So far I see nothing close to gaining that
Country Club syndrome all over again

AHB*

Buyout beaver

Mcilrath bottom pair

Lol three things here "Thugice."

Brassard is our best center.
Boyle is a great fourth liner and gives us a ton of flexibility.
McIlrath is not ready for regular minutes in the NHL. If you knew anything outside of his fighting, you would agree with that. Furthermore, if his "short" NHL stint proved anything, it was to further indicate his need for more time in the A.

I certainly haven't given up on the kid like many here have. I think he'll be a good piece for a long-time. But right now is not that time. Neither is next year. I say earliest, the 2015-2016 season.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Sather will die at his desk with a lit Cubano in his mouth. People have been talking this stuff for years. He's not going anywhere.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“Everybody retires sometime, but I’m not intending to step away or retire from anything this year,†Sather told Slap Shots on Friday in Columbus, Ohio. “I don’t know how stories like this keep coming up, because I haven’t said anything to anybody about retiring. … One day, yes. But not now.â€

“There comes a time where you do think about your lifestyle and maybe some of the things you might do if you weren’t doing this job,†he said. “But that’s not where my thoughts are now. I’m working to build this team into a Stanley Cup winner. That’s my priority. That’s what I’m focused on. … I’m not thinking about stepping back, or a change in my title or in my responsibilities.â€

http://nypost.com/2014/03/22/despite-reports-sather-says-no-retirement-on-tap/

The old man is delusional. Any picks left for him to trade?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Rangerboy I come in this thread everyday looking for some good news. You just broke my heart. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad