Post-Game Talk: Giveaway Kings 1 @ Los Angeles Kings 2 | Dec 1 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Gillis vets are playing hard. Rookies are trying their best. Admittedly Vrby has not given a **** all year long but he knows he's gone either way.

Doesn't matter if we have Babcock back there the roster is poorly built.

I suspect that management may have lit into Vrbata after last years playoff no show and this is the result. Nothing else really explains his lack of commitment to the team game. Or possibly he just can't stand Old Willie.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Agreed. It's on Edler to take away the cross-ice pass. If Marky is any deeper, it opens up the short side aerial angle. And on the blocker side to boot. Vrbata was at fault as well as Edler. I would not tell my goalie he did anything wrong in that situation.

On another note, Biega again shows he is top 5 in the depth chart for D.

Good effort overall given the circumstances.

As in hanging on by your fingernails and refusing to let go kind of effort.

One thing you can count on from the bulldog is that he never stops working. He prides himself at being the hardest working D-man on the ice. You can see it in every shift. He never takes one off.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can you imagine what would happen if a guy like Hutton committed the same kind of brain-cramp as Edler in overtime?.....he's be stapled to the bench for the next three games....but Canuck vets just keep crapping the bed, with no accountability....is there any way we can trade Edler as part of a package for a real d-man with some upside?

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Listening to the radio, for some reason, and the host just mentioned that over the last 11 games (I think he said 11) the Sedins have outscored all the other players on the team taken together, and that includes Hansen with 10 points over that same span. Leaving Hansen out, the rest have 18 points combined, scarcely more than one Sedin's worth of production.

Would this be the worst team in the league without the Sedins?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I suspect that management may have lit into Vrbata after last years playoff no show and this is the result. Nothing else really explains his lack of commitment to the team game. Or possibly he just can't stand Old Willie.

The signs are there. The talk of something happening in the room in the playoffs when Hansen went to play with the sedins. Then vrbata pouting in camp and the obvious lack of commitment this year.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
In the past 7 games the Canucks have scored 14 times on goalies:

Daniel (6)
Henrik (3)
Vrbata (3)
Hansen (2)

That's it. Fun times. A Sedin has gotten a point on 12 of 14 goals in the past 7 games. Too, One of the ones where they didn't was an utterly meaningless goal with a second left.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
We were outshot 17-1 in the third, and we had 1 shift of sustained possession the entire period. It was the Sedins. Stop blaming the refs guys. Come on.

Clearly it's not all on the refs, but I don't think that's the point being made. It's just that awful reffing did have an effect on the third period and possibly the outcome of the game.

I certainly won't pretend that the Canucks were in the drivers seat before all the penalties, but that shouldn't preclude one from pointing out the massive discrepancy in what was deemed acceptable for each team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Listening to the radio, for some reason, and the host just mentioned that over the last 11 games (I think he said 11) the Sedins have outscored all the other players on the team taken together, and that includes Hansen with 10 points over that same span. Leaving Hansen out, the rest have 18 points combined, scarcely more than one Sedin's worth of production.

We may find out if the Sedins ever go down with injuries....could happen with all the minutes they're getting....in that case the answer would by 'yes'...who else is going to score on this team?

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Over the last 10 games (while the Sedins have been on fire) we're 29th place in terms of points.

We could be the worst team in the league with the Sedins.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And tankers go "Damn you Markstrom, why did you have to be so friggen good". Certainly most of the team were contributing to an important regulation tank loss. Oh well, 14th here we come. Truly unbelieveable that they are still close to the division lead.

Good Games

Markstrom - Canucks have to ride him now but probably won't. More likely moth ball him for a couple of weeks. Maybe the best goal tending we have seen all season.

Sbisa - give him some credit. Best of the d-men. Good on the PK and stood in best against a very heavy team. Pace in this one more to his liking.

Burrows - only other reason we got a point, other than Markstrom, was Burrows work on the PK. Dumb penalty but at least he was competing.

Bad

Bartkowski - same old, same old. Not really NHL caliber. Biega, even with the heavy travel day, was better.

Hamhuis - good for a few juicy turnovers a game. Looks dispirited and, at times, sort of shell-shocked. Can't be traded fast enough

Dorsett - looks totally bagged. Can't see what he is providing. Bumped around at will. None of the fourth line looked ready to play. LA size just took them out of the game.

Vrbata - far too many turnovers. Looked ok with McCann at times but still looks mostly lost and confused.

Horvat - counted maybe two good but meaningless rushes. Rest of it was him vainly trying to cope in his own end. Agree that he should not be seen as huge issue as I believe he will improve down the road. Right now, however, going thru some real difficult development issues as a player.

Others

Liked McCann but saw so little time late. Don't know why WD can't see him as an option in OT. It's not like we are being successful with what we are throwing out now. Can't be worst than Vrbata

Hard to get any impression on Pedan. Ridiculous that he should start the NHL in this way. Must have a lot to do with the cap situation.

Looks like Higgins is going to have one of those seasons. Probably on the shelf for awhile - not that will hurt the team much. Should obviously have been moved for whatever during the summer.

Baertschi played better in parts of the game and showed some signs of being able to compete at this level. Maybe being overly hopeful but thought there were some positives in this game.

After an excellent stretch, Hansen has gone quiet. Shows, in comparison, how excellent the Sedins are when they can maintain an very good level of play in spite of the schedule.

Can't imagine playing LA type team in the playoffs. Be shredded by the third game.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

I would suggest it would be difficult to produce a rational argument against your premise.

However, I believe there's a poster on these boards that doesn't find the Sedins particularly effective. Maybe he'll dig up some "evidence" that will show the team is being held back by the Twins.

The Jesus*

Or he sucks, and he always sucked. But because he scored goals people overlooked how incredibly flawed he is as a hockey player. I was absolutely grilled during the offseason by every single person on this website for saying Vrbata was everything he's showing himself to be now.

Im no prophet. Im not even a particularly bright hockey mind. Homers just gonna homer.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

yes, because the teams currently worse than ours have elite first line players and would still have them.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I would suggest it would be difficult to produce a rational argument against your premise.

However, I believe there's a poster on these boards that doesn't find the Sedins particularly effective. Maybe he'll dig up some "evidence" that will show the team is being held back by the Twins.

They are holding the team back. From a number one pick, of course.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
More upset at Pedan getting 4 minutes more than anything
Developing prospects like a pro

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
More upset at Pedan getting 4 minutes more than anything
Developing prospects like a pro

don't really have an issue with it since he's not a natural forward, and he's in his debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig