Give Tangradi one more shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Tangradi-Sutter-Boychuk.

Next season's third line if we had ANY other coach.

A long fall from the "best 3rd line in hockey" days.....that one would be closer to the worst. That looks to be one of those "no offense, no defense, no identity" lines - just missing Lasse Pirjeta.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
A long fall from the "best 3rd line in hockey" days.....that one would be closer to the worst. That looks to be one of those "no offense, no defense, no identity" lines - just missing Lasse Pirjeta.

I'll take that 3rd line....

If Kunitz - Crosby - Perry ....Kulemin - Malkin - Neal ....are the first two

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm not sure Tangradi's ever going to make it in the NHL, even as a bottom 6er. I'm convinced Jeffrey's going to make it as a decent 3rd line centre but it'll be after he's moved on from the Pens.

Last edited:

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Tangradi sucks, plain and simple. A good waste of size.

I caught Madden briefly this afternoon and every once in a while he seems to have a decent idea that I can go along with. Today he suggested Cooke on Malkin's left. He's basically Kunitz minus a handful of goals. Will go to the dirty areas, get to the front of the net, and he nearly hit 20 last year. Couldn't be any worse than the first four options.

There's no reason not to give Jeffrey the same opportunity Boychuk has been given, though.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Said no.

If there was a "not until Jeffrey gets at least as many games as Tangradi or Boychuk have had," I would have said that.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Maybe I'm alone here, but I still haven't given up completely on Boychuk. Yeah he hasn't put up points, but the opportunities are still there, and I didn't see that so much when Tangradi was there. I'd still be willing to give him a few more games to try to nail those chances... I agree with the consensus we need a top 6 winger still, but for now at least I still don't mind rolling with Boychuk.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Tangradi's a good guy, but a terrible hockey player at the NHL level. He really has failed to make himself at all noticeable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If the coach keeps telling whomever that goes on the Geno line to "pass to Geno and Neal when you get a chance"...it doesn't matter who is playing there, besides Kunitz, they're set up to fail.

Trade the kid, Bylsma is killing his career. Everyone seems to hate on the guy, when I watch him play, I see a different player from the AHL Tangradi vs the NHL Tangradi and to me, it's the direction he's getting from the coaching staff. He comes up, plays a certain way and gets noticed for it, then he's told to do something completely different it seems. I see it with Boychuk too. Guys that are capable of scoring, suddenly become people that just pass back the puck the moment they get it, instead of going in for the shot.

Tangradi needs work, sure, but he's never really had a fair shot in the top 6. Boychuk has gotten more of a shot in the top 6 than Tangradi ever has in his entire NHL career with the Penguins.

What does that say about the staff? They never had any faith in him, regardless of his abilities. I'd rather see him get traded, so a team that understands what he is, knows how to use him properly and I hope he succeeds. I think Dustin Jeffrey is in that situation as well. I hate it when players ask for a trade, but I think it's time both of them did and I would not hate them even a tiny bit for doing it. It's for their livelihood, of which Bylsma is just taking a giant dump on.

The only positives I have seen from Bylsma is that Craig Adams has played 7mins or under the last 2 games. I thought that day would never come.

Feb 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe I'm alone here, but I still haven't given up completely on Boychuk. Yeah he hasn't put up points, but the opportunities are still there, and I didn't see that so much when Tangradi was there. I'd still be willing to give him a few more games to try to nail those chances... I agree with the consensus we need a top 6 winger still, but for now at least I still don't mind rolling with Boychuk.

You're definitely not alone, i still honestly don't see a reason why they split up kunitz-malkin-neal. don't fix it if it aint broke.

Maybe throw boychuk up on the first line with crosby for a minute, and see if he can become a big time scorer. the way he feeds the puck back is a lot better than dupuis can slap shot it from the crease.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure Tangradi's ever going to make it in the NHL, even at a bottom 6er. I'm convinced Jeffrey's going to make it as a decent 3rd line centre but it'll be after he's moved on from the Pens.

Jeffrey has enough versatility to make a quality 3rd liner in this league. Tangradi...not so much.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You wonder why Boychuk keeps getting full shifts/games with Geno's line, but a guy like DJ or Tangradi are only used sparingly. I'm not saying those two will be any better, but at least we will find out the right way as we did w/ Boychuk.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
You wonder why Boychuk keeps getting full shifts/games with Geno's line, but a guy like DJ or Tangradi are only used sparingly. I'm not saying those two will be any better, but at least we will find out the right way as we did w/ Boychuk.

They either like what they see from ZB more than DJ, or see him having some long term potential. Bylsma's pretty much said that Boychuk's played well enough but will need to produce to stay there. Honestly, while I wouldn't say that Boychuk has made an impact, at least he thinks the game well enough and can make the passes and offensive zone plays. I don't think he's dragging that line down, and IMO he can stay there until Shero can make a trade to add to the top 6.

"He's been able to create for that line and made some good plays with that line but hasn't been able to finish them," coach Dan Bylsma said. "I think he does add to that line, but obviously it hasn't turned into a point. That's what kind of resonates with you when it comes to evaluation."

Link

Tangradi's noticeably less of a factor than either, IMO. And I would rather have all of the bottom 6 guys in their current spots than ET.

I like having Jeffrey around since he can play anywhere and make a contribution.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Boychuk has looked OK with Geno and Neal and is occasionally involved in the play which is more than you can say for Jeffrey and Tangradi.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
The poll is semi-close. I guess Tangradi has to take a dump in Mario's pool for people to admit he's a non-factor out there. I mean seriously people what the hell are you watching??

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
Boychuk joins the rush better, but most importantly is usually in good position. Can make the above average pass and hit. Decent speed.

Not a world beater, but definitely beats two things. Jeffrey and Tangradi.

Penguinzilla*

Being that Zach Boychuk has been nothing but a blackhole on Malkin's line, I think at this point it's safe to say he won't last. Tangradi has the ability to be what Kunitz was on that line, but for a 6'4 guy he plays small. Would you all support the idea of giving him one more chance before trying to trade for another winger?

Boychuk is playing well. He's making smart plays and getting some scoring chances. Plus, he's not overwhelmed by Malkin and forcing him the puck all the time. On the other hand, I don't recall anything Tangradi did well.

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
Boychuk is playing well. He's making smart plays and getting some scoring chances. Plus, he's not overwhelmed by Malkin and forcing him the puck all the time. On the other hand, I don't recall anything Tangradi did well.

Come on. Remember when Tangradi passed that puck to a wide-open Malkin for a breaka...

Oh wait. He's terrible and ruined that too.

I mean, seriously. It's not often that people miss passes to Malkin when he's wide open. Dude's lankier than an orangutan, great speed. Wasn't even close lol.

Only you Big Dog. Only you.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I agree that Boychuk has looked good as far as getting chances. I don't like him on Malkin's line because his offense will be inconsistent at best even when he does start scoring and he doesn't do many little things to open up room or create opportunities for Malkin and Neal.

I do think he could be a cheap TK replacement that buzzes around and provides inconsistent offense for the 3rd line. That's if the Pens move on from TK obviously and I can see that happening since I'm not sure they want to have TK back at 2 million/per and I believe that's what they'd have to tender him.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The poll is semi-close. I guess Tangradi has to take a dump in Mario's pool for people to admit he's a non-factor out there. I mean seriously people what the hell are you watching??
This is what I'm saying too. He looked his best in the last game before he got benched and even then its not like he does much. He's so dang blah. The Pens are losing? Go out and start a ruckus, bump the goalie or just do something besides chase the puck and not even get them.

Look at Bort and Despres. They took a seat every once in a while, got more involved, gained some trust, played better and now they almost seem like a regular part of the D. As much as I want to see Niskanen and Letang back I almost hate seeing one of those kids sit.

Jeffrey has gotten the short end of the stick. I thought he looked good with Malkin and Neal but I think the Pens want some speed and puck get on that line.

I wouldn't mind seeing TK sit for a game or two, moving down Dupes to the third line and trying DJ with Sid and Kunitz. Jeffrey has a sense about him that might mesh with Sid while Kinitz and Crosby do the skating for him.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
^ This. At least he's had a few good chances. Those other guys (Jeffrey & Tangradi) are practically invisible on his line.

Not true at all. Jeffrey had just as many scoring chances when he got his one (1) game with Malkin & Neal. In fact, Jeffrey was praised by the TSN crew as being one of best players in that game (not something I've ever heard said about Boychuck).

Give Jeffrey 7-straight games on the Malkin/Neal line and I guarantee that line scores at least 1 even-strength goal (dear lord how far the bar has been lowered).

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Boychuk joins the rush better, but most importantly is usually in good position. Can make the above average pass and hit. Decent speed.

Not a world beater, but definitely beats two things. Jeffrey and Tangradi.

The only problem I have with Boychuk is that he doesn't go to the net hard enough, he is really slow and it cost him at least 2-3 goals from big time rebounds

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
If possible the time has come to move on from TK. Move him with a prospect and/or pick in an attempt to secure a legit top six. The problem is I'm not sure there is a market of any kind for him out there.

As for Tangradi; I was a major supporter of his last year and this year. However, I have come to believe that he is a victim of the Penguin's system as anything else. He seems more suited for the Western Conference than the Eastern one; there just seems like there is more emphasis on speed in the East than in the West.

Jeffrey is better as a C than he is as a Wing; again it is a lack of speed. So......

the speed component leaves the Pens with few options.....Boychuk or Bennett or a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad