Give Tangradi one more shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Being that Zach Boychuk has been nothing but a blackhole on Malkin's line, I think at this point it's safe to say he won't last. Tangradi has the ability to be what Kunitz was on that line, but for a 6'4 guy he plays small. Would you all support the idea of giving him one more chance before trying to trade for another winger?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Being that Zach Boychuk has been nothing but a blackhole on Malkin's line, I think at this point it's safe to say he won't last. Tangradi has the ability to be what Kunitz was on that line, but for a 6'4 guy he plays small. Would you all support the idea of giving him one more chance before trying to trade for another winger?

Tangradi has the ability to be lots of things.

I was about to type 'Jeffrey will be next', but I think Bylsma sees great value in having Boychuk with Malkin and Neal.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Whoever gets put in as the third wheel to Geno and Neal needs to get more than a couple games before being replaced. I don't care if it's Boychuk, Tangradi, Kennedy, Jeffrey, or whoever. Changing wingers every 4-5 games is stupid.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Whoever gets put in as the third wheel to Geno and Neal needs to get more than a couple games before being replaced. I don't care if it's Boychuk, Tangradi, Kennedy, Jeffrey, or whoever. Changing wingers every 4-5 games is stupid.

True. Removing Tangradi from Malkin's line after the Leafs game seemed to be a very knee-jerkish reaction by Bylsma. Was he trying to blame Tangradi for that game? Will Boychuk be blamed for the Devils game as accordingly? Seemed like scapegoating to me.

Tangradi should have been given at least the first three weeks before being benched.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Unless of course none of the options is even a temporary solution.

True. Removing Tangradi from Malkin's line after the Leafs game seemed to be a very knee-jerkish reaction by Bylsma. Was he trying to blame Tangradi for that game? Will Boychuk be blamed for the Devils game as accordingly? Seemed like scapegoating to me.

Tangradi should have been given at least the first three weeks before being benched.

Frankly, there is no option. They all ****. Cooke could be, but Bylsma won't touch the third line (can't blame him). Vitale could be like a Talbot, but I've only seen Bylsma get creative and desperate like that four years ago and never since.

EDIT: I think this sums it up best . . .

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
#pens 2nd line LW slot this season is equivalent of clearing snow for car spot then having truck plow you in anyway. #TribHKY

Last edited:

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam

Then either bring in someone that will stick in that spot or give someone on the roster a legit shot (10+ games). It's not like we're floundering in the standings or anything, we can afford to give a bit more time to see if any type of chemistry at all will show up. I don't think we have a long term solution with any of the guys that have played on that line this year, but at least give them a shot instead of benching them after a couple games.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think there's another question that needs to be asked: What did Jeffrey do to piss off Bylsma so badly? Seems like the coaching staff overlooks him.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
They should go with Jeffrey if they switch out Boychuk. If Jeffrey doesn't do anything, Shero has to go outside of the organization for a solution cause Tangradi isn't the answer to that line's even-strength play.

Actually the answer could be in-house if Sid's line get an upgrade and one of Dupuis/Kunitz is bumped to Geno's line. Either way, team needs to acquire a skilled winger at some point unless they want to crap out in the postseason because only 2 forwards on the team have any sort of playmaking ability. Just don't want to see a situation come playoff time where clutching and grabbing is going on and the even strength scoring is gong to depend entirely on either Sid & Geno making plays.

Last edited:

Fire Shero*

Boychuk has been given far more opportunities compared to the other 3 idiots. He has not done much to warrant more playing time with Geno. I think it's pretty apparent that none of the players we've tried are good long - term solutions.

It's portably too early to make a decent deal out there because no one is really out of playoff contention yet. So unfortunately, we are going to have to continue playing Geno with one of these dumbasses.

But enough with Boychuk, that needs to stop. Give Jeffrey 5 games with Malkin. When that fails maybe try Tangradi again. When that fails, hopefully some teams have raised the white flag by then.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Jeffrey desreves another chance before Tangradi. But 3 games for Tangradi is not enough time. So yes Tangradi does deserve another shot

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Eric Tangradi has shown nothing in the NHL that points to him being capable of being a top 5 forward. I don't care if he "looks good" while doing nothing. If you don't produce, you're NOT a top 6 forward. Period. And don't give me any of that "he wasn't given a fair chance" crap, because even a guy like Adams who blows offensively can outproduce him from the 4th line. The guy sucks. So no, he doesn't "deserve another shot" because he's done NOTHING to deserve even one shot. 45 games, 1 goal, 5 points.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They should go with Jeffrey if they switch out Boychuk. If Jeffrey doesn't do anything, Shero has to go outside of the organization for a solution cause Tangradi isn't the answer to that line's even-strength play.

Actually the answer could be in-house if Sid's line get an upgrade and one of Dupuis/Kunitz is bumped to Geno's line. Either way, team needs to acquire a skilled winger at some point unless they want to crap out in the postseason because only 2 forwards on the team have any sort of playmaking ability. Just don't want to see a situation come playoff time where clutching and grabbing is going on and the even strength scoring is gong to depend entirely on either Sid & Geno making plays.

I wouldn't be disappointed if they brought up Beau Bennett and dropped Dupuis to Malkin's line.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Malkin-Neal

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Boychuk has been given far more opportunities compared to the other 3 idiots. He has not done much to warrant more playing time with Geno. I think it's pretty apparent that none of the players we've tried are good long - term solutions.

It's portably too early to make a decent deal out there because no one is really out of playoff contention yet. So unfortunately, we are going to have to continue playing Geno with one of these dumbasses.

But enough with Boychuk, that needs to stop. Give Jeffrey 5 games with Malkin. When that fails maybe try Tangradi again. When that fails, hopefully some teams have raised the white flag by then.

Ya I agree my pick would be DJ but we all know none of these guys are the answer Its almost getting to the point where its not even worth talking about this anymore. We just gotta wait til the deadline. Lets hope none of our top 6 wingers like neal or kunitz get hurt If one of them go down were gonna be screwed for a while.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He should of been on the 4th line getting regular minutes since last January. Then started there this season. I couldn't give two left balls what people say, that is all on DB.

He had a good game before he was benched and was starting to gain a little confidence, but of course he got yanked for a waiver wire pickup like last season.

Now we have people throwing him and Jeffrey under the bus, much like was done with Strait and Bort.

I'm sticking by Tangradi and Jeffrey, "the idiots", until they get a legit shot and show me they can't handle the NHL.

I refuse to put these guys down because I've seen their talent and know both of them can help. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He should of been on the 4th line getting regular minutes since last January. Then started there this season. I couldn't give two left balls what people say, that is all on DB.

He had a good game before he was benched and was starting to gain a little confidence, but of course he got yanked for a waiver wire pickup like last season.

Now we have people throwing him and Jeffrey under the bus, much like was done with Strait and Bort.

I'm sticking by Tangradi and Jeffrey, "the idiots", until they get a legit shot and show me they can't handle the NHL.

I refuse to put these guys down because I've seen their talent and know both of them can help. If I'm wrong, so be it.

It can't be overlooked that the Penguins have done a lousy job at developing forwards.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It can't be overlooked that the Penguins have done a lousy job at developing forwards.

I've said it for a year, Tangradi isn't ready for the top six. He is at least a couple of yrs away, but people don't want to hear that. It's easier to call him names and write him off.

I expect people on here to act stupid about him, especially since few have ever seen the time it really takes for a top six guy to develop.

However, Pens mgmt and DB should of known better than to throw him into a role he isn't ready for. They wasted a year of his development last year in place of retreads and waiver wire pickups. He should of been rolled out on the fourth line, shift after shift last season. Then he would of had a secured role on the team this year playing on the fourth line.

He should of been allowed to slowly work his way up, make mistakes, and learn. Not be thrown out on a line with Malkin of all players.

His last game he played his role well on the fourth line and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to re-watch the tape.

Of course it's easier to say he sucks and call him names. It's what the cool kids do.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I truly think the weakest edge of this coaching staff is dealing with rookie type forwards who have upside. Whether Tangradi can be better or not (my opinion is that we overrated him some) is almost irrelevant. I say we trade him while he still has a little value left. Better for him, better for us. We're much better at acquiring forwards and developing D, not the other way around.

I just hope they don't **** Bennett up.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
One of my biggest problems with this team is the level of patience applied to players who have established themselves with another team is significantly higher than with our homegrown talent. Look at Neal, he didnt perform all that well when he first came over. I honestly wonder if he was a home grown player would he have ever even been given the opportunity to showcase what he can now do today? Seems like we really don't know what we have with our wingers and will likely have to see them show their true colors on other teams. The threshold to being hooked is so significant that unless you're a Crosby in your first year you just arent going to be able to put up a significant enough impact to hold that spot for you.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I'd think all would have to agree that Bennett is going to be the litmus test for DB's handling of young forwards. Let's be honest, Bennett is the first real talent the team has had at forward that didn't make the team immediately after their draft year in quite a while. Bennett has played well at WBS and I firmly believe that he will start next season on one of the top 2 lines as long as his production doesn't completely crater this season.

DB could certainly handle things better with his young forwards, but then again, look at the quality of young forwards available to him. How much different would things be for the players that haven't made much of an impact for the Pens in different organizations? Not much different I imagine. At the same time, the blame also can't be soley laid at DB's feet. He's not the guy who signed a 4th-liner in Glass and locked up the 4th-line from being anything other than Glass-Vitale-Adams. Having a locked-up 4th-line means guys like Tangradi, Jeffrey, etc are essentially in a top-6 or bust position.

In short, I think Bennett is going to disprove the DB hates young forwards theory and turn it into DB hates young forwards that aren't very good theory.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If he can't play well after being benched and likely being told he's not done good enough then he should be cut dry. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tangradi and Jeffrey included in a deal for someone at the deadline.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Frankly, there is no option. They all ****. Cooke could be, but Bylsma won't touch the third line (can't blame him). Vitale could be like a Talbot, but I've only seen Bylsma get creative and desperate like that four years ago and never since.

EDIT: I think this sums it up best . . .

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
#pens 2nd line LW slot this season is equivalent of clearing snow for car spot then having truck plow you in anyway. #TribHKY

That's twice I've seen you quoting Rossi ... it may be the first sign of the Apocalypse

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
He will never be a consistent producer unless he's put on the PP. He makes his money in front of the net on the PP or he doesn't at all.

Also, I didn't watch today's game but all the previous game it seems like Malkin & Neal play so great together they almost ignore the other guy. Tangradi didn't get a pass until three games in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad