Proposal: give Saku Koivu a pro tryout

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Koivu was and still is better than Gomez.

Not that that's saying a lot. But whatever, I'd take him over Sekac. On a real contract, though, I don't think he's in a situation to accept any tryouts.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
While I initially liked the OP's idea, taking a quick look there appears to be no PTO contract option, and no option that would allow Saku to play without a standard contract that would have cap implications.

Another option is the Modano contract, a one day player contract that is allowed to be signed if immediately followed by a retirement. Give it to Saku, let him participate in the home opener ceremony, and maybe offer him an ambassador role. He should have a role here.

He should, but I wonder if he'd even want it.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Makes me wonder if I'd really prefer Malhotra over Koivu, after all. He's not exactly a checking line cener though but he's decent enough on the PK.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Makes no sense. To want to move on with the younger players, to actually go beyond and trade a vet for a pick, and then get an ex-captain to lead the team? On top of having slowed down tremendously? That's actually some posters version of Therrien wanting Bouillon back......You don't want the coach to play his favorites.....don't do the same.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
What do you think should we sign Koivu to a tryout play him in a preseason game in Montreal and let him Retire as a Hab would be fitting for him to End his Career in Montreal

Yup why not. Play one preseason game and then a big ceremony, and retire a Hab. Feels good man.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
For future reference, be VERY clear in the title choice, cause now we know 98% of HF doesn't give a **** what you write anyways... :laugh:
apparently. i meant one preseason game and if you read the op its quite clear nobody read though so...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We got rid of him at exactly the right time.

You mean that season where he was seven points behind the guy we replaced him with? In seven less games, I might add. Or when he put up 45 and 38 points, which would have been tied for 4th in scoring (just two points back from 2nd) and 5th respectively?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
All I want is to hear Michel Lacroix do the hometown call on Saku's name.

MaxChart

Nov 7, 2010
Montréal
Saku was great, but no thanks.

1 day contract would be cool.

See there? Exactly what I said.

Nothing against you MaxChart. You read the title, skimmed through the answers and gave your opinion.

The OP is actually about bringing back Saku for one pre-season game. But apparently that requires a pro tryout contract and the focus is on that for most of the thread! :laugh:

Can a mod please change the title just to bring that discussion back on track? :help:

Sorry, you are right, I didn't read OP before answering.

That being said, my reply would be the same, no thanks for him playing in a game, too much distraction and one roster spot less (I guess it wouldn't be that big of a big deal, but still).

Still in for a one day contract before camp or during camp before games.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You mean that season where he was seven points behind the guy we replaced him with? In seven less games, I might add. Or when he put up 45 and 38 points, which would have been tied for 4th in scoring (just two points back from 2nd) and 5th respectively?

Saku should have been traded in 06-07.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
This organization has too much respect for Saku Koivu to simply ''move on'' from him. He was the heart of the franchise for a whole decade. He done so much for the city too. I'm not saying we should retire his jersey, but I don't think we should simply ''move on'' from him neither. I still believe the OP idea is the best. If Koivu's about to retire, give him the chance to do it by playing his last game (even though it's a preseason one) in the right sweater; the CH. It's a really cool thing to do to honour him without having to retire the #11.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
If you were one of the longest serving captains of the Montreal Canadiens would you really come back to the team on a tryout basis... effing RIDICULOUS!!!!:shakehead

who ever started this thread look up the word D-I-G-N-I-T-Y.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
If you were one of the longest serving captains of the Montreal Canadiens would you really come back to the team on a tryout basis... effing RIDICULOUS!!!!:shakehead

who ever started this thread look up the word D-I-G-N-I-T-Y.

what's effing ridiculous is people who don't read past the subject line. Read the O-R-I-G-I-N-A-L-P-O-S-T. :shakehead:shakehead

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
This Koivu kid sounds like he HAD some talent.

There fixed it

Better to leave sleeping dogs lie
Bring him back retire the guy a Hab, give him a kiss a hug and a heart felt handshake and move on

I've said this before and I'll say it again - i'm amazed with this boards fascination with retreads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad