Proposal: give Saku Koivu a pro tryout

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
What do you think should we sign Koivu to a tryout play him in a preseason game in Montreal and let him Retire as a Hab would be fitting for him to End his Career in Montreal
(sorry made the same thread twice accidentally mods please close one or booth if not worthy of discussion)

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Not sure Saku can help this team very much, but I'd be all for a Modano style one night of celebration and facilitating his retirement in a Habs jersey. That's a better opening night than the torch thingy.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
we dont need another center. we have too many. Prust or Bournival can center the 4 if someone gets injured, and Galchenyuk can move to center if one of the top 3 gets hurt.

So no, we dont need another Briere situation where the guy was bought in strictly due to his name but not actual fit with the club.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Not sure Saku can help this team very much, but I'd be all for a Modano style one night of celebration and facilitating his retirement in a Habs jersey. That's a better opening night than the torch thingy.

Agreed. Even if people think bring an old player back for one game is cheesy, if it replaces the torch, nobody will complain.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I think its an excellent Idea with the departure of Gionta, Gorges and Briere, Koivu will bring some well needed experience and Leadership off and on the ice. He wont cost much either.

I say we should totally do it.

PricePkPatch*

Future Cakes > Present Koivu

I prefer to keep the spot we have for rookies. And.. I think its for the same reason as to why MB doesnt want Jagr as part of the team: an overaged dominating presence in the locker room might be detrimental to the long term chemistry of the leadership core. Especially one as burgeoning as ours

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
...what is this affliction some fans suffer from that makes them want old finished players and think they'll magically perform better because they're in MTL??

Hey; if Koivu can ask to come back over here in French and make a complete sentence of it in public then ok..

(yeaaaaah... as if)-:shakehead

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
It's good to have a thread like this occasionally just to highlight who actually reads the OP of a thread before responding to what they imagine it says.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
We should sign him for one season. I would love to see him play one last year with us. Go ahead hate on me...

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
It's good to have a thread like this occasionally just to highlight who actually reads the OP of a thread before responding to what they imagine it says.

I can explain it: i have a sudden allergic reaction and i scratch all over suddenly whenever i read the words "come back" and "Koivu" in the same sentence.

I was already wildly typing and posting my mesage even before i had complete control of my fingers...( its an illness you know)

But i'm ok now.

Thanks for asking. :sarcasm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We should sign him for one season. I would love to see him play one last year with us. Go ahead hate on me...

You realize that means Bournival in the minors, right ?

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
I half-agree. Koivu may not be finished, but he is Finnish.

PdVa3Cf.gif
VjWIxmx.gif

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

I don't remember reading what is written now when I first came into this thread.

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal
I would very irrationally agree with this, even if it stunts the young guys development haha.

Seriously though, would be very cool to do a one game contract thing, have him retire a hab.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Saku is my favorite hockey player, but he's done. Watched him play this season, especially in the playoff and he was horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad