Proposal: give Saku Koivu a pro tryout

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
If our line up weren't what it is right now, I wouldn't necessarily be against it. He would be a good veteran addition.

But we just have too many centers, and a couple of rookies who could hop in at some point in the season. So I don't think it's a good idea.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I needed to think about this before answering.

Yes, I'd do it...because I sure wouldn't retire his number...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
What do you think should we sign Koivu to a tryout play him in a preseason game in Montreal and let him Retire as a Hab would be fitting for him to End his Career in Montreal
(sorry made the same thread twice accidentally mods please close one or booth if not worthy of discussion)

Once he retires, sign him to a 1 day contract and give him a nice parting gift. Makes no sense to sign him to a PTO with 4 centers already penciled in and no open spot, would be a slap in the face.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
All in for Saku to retire as a Habs. The guy gave his best while most of his time playing with a mediocre lineup. He should be remember as a Habs and retire properly in this jersey.

Not one of my favorite Habs but I got a ton of respect for the guy.

edit : retire as a Habs, not playing in an actual game. Modano style.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
I'm all for him being at the ceremony and handing off the torch (if we're gonna do that again).

Do I want to see him lace up his skates and play for us? No, its time to let the kids step up and be leaders. Also, we're already congested at center (Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller, Malhotra) and Galchenyuk, Prust, Bournival who are all playing winger instead of center.

Koivu gave this city and this team his all when he was here. I will never forget it and always be a fan of his for it. But I don't think he fits in the composition of the current team.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Koivu have to accept first. He might be looking for another contract. I'm not sure he'd accept a pro try-out just to play one pre-season game and then be forced to retire. How awkward would it be if he'd score 2 goals and then the Leafs decided to offer him a contract.

If he's really commited to retirement, the OP idea is genious and a great alternative to retiring his jersey, because it's not gonna happen. Give him the C for one game to honor him, it would be a very unique moment.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Koivu have to accept first. He might be looking for another contract. I'm not sure he'd accept a pro try-out just to play one pre-season game and then be forced to retire. How awkward would it be if he'd score 2 goals and then the Leafs decided to offer him a contract.

If he's really commited to retirement, the OP idea is genious and a great alternative to retiring his jersey, because it's not gonna happen. Give him the C for one game to honor him, it would be a very unique moment.

Of course it all depends on Saku. I remember when Theoren Fleury played (really well) in pre-season for the Flames and they cut him. Three other NHL teams offered him one year contracts and he turned them down. Still so dumb for the Flames not to let him continue playing. He was really, really good.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012

if Koivu announces his intent to before retire the game everyone is happy if not it wont work at all if he still wants to play

Last edited:

Analyzer*

Kind of insulting

Though, give him a try-out similar to Fleury. Have him comeback, play a game or two in pre-season and then he retires ?

Just imagine a week, or two of him around all of our youngsters.

One day contract to retire as a Canadiens would be great, too.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I remember when Theoren Fleury played (really well) in pre-season for the Flames and they cut him. Three other NHL teams offered him one year contracts and he turned them down.
Strange, in Fleury's documentary he spins that pre-season stint with the Flames as being done for his own sake (kind of putting a demon to rest, and mending ties with the Flames), and he immediately opted for retirement after that one game, having proved something to himself. No mention of being cut, or of being offered other contracts. And Fleury was the bitter type; if he felt the Flames had done him wrong, he wouldn't have stayed quiet about it.

Anyone got a detailed write-up on that?

I'd be fully on-board with a 1-day contract or a preseason game to allow Koivu one last skate at center ice with the Habs jersey on. He probably would too, if he's really decided it's time to retire.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Strange, in Fleury's documentary he spins that pre-season stint with the Flames as being done for his own sake (kind of putting a demon to rest, and mending ties with the Flames), and he immediately opted for retirement after that one game, having proved something to himself. No mention of being cut, or of being offered other contracts. And Fleury was the bitter type; if he felt the Flames had done him wrong, he wouldn't have stayed quiet about it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292955

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/23/11064396-sun.html

I don't believe he was bitter that the Flames cut him because he got what he wanted, which was to retire a Flame. That said, having watched the games, Fleury was more than capable of playing in the NHL that year. Maybe not the full season but he would have put up points. It was a mistake by the Flames but Fleury was simply happy to have the shot.

Saintpatrick*

The way Koivu was unceremoniously dumped to the curb after sacrificing his body for this organization always just felt so wrong. If he wants to retire we should honor him one last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad