Give me 2 reasons why JT should not be next captain

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
1)
2)

I think Matthews is supposed to get it.
I'm waiting to see if Matthews shows up in the playoffs.

I've asked many times and I never receive a response.

How will the captain of the Leafs be chosen ?
Players only decide ?

Russian Roulette or twelve paces at dawn blindfolded.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tavares has more playoff series wins (1) than the Maple leafs have in the last decade and a half.

A new career high in goals and potentially points isn't good enough for some people apparently.

the whole team is setting career records for goals and points.

and Johnny doesn't look like He'll be hitting a record in points anyways.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It should be Matthews once he steps up and takes it.

And I think holding off on naming a captain may be entirely because the Leafs organization are planning/counting on him doing just that.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
1, because we do not need a captain of any kind whatsoever and cannot afford to pay $1 more for one;
2, Because Reilly or Matthews are better players.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Imo it’s between Rielly and Tavares. They’re both excellent candidates but at the end of the day, whoever is a leader, is going to lead regardless of the letter on their chest. Captaincy is becoming a gimmick more and more everyday.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Too bad Joffrey's gone.

Morgan's the obvious choice. Letting JT have his moment at the blueline screamed Morgan Rielly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
well he didn't lead the isles anywhere and hasn't impacted this team as much as hoped for.

so what are we making him captain for?

McDavid hasn't lead his team anywhere either. Seriously Zeke, this is no argument at all. As far as "hoped for", if you hoped for more than Tavares has provided, then you were hoping for too much.

Reactions: dsred

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe that's because your expectations were higher than they should have been in the first place. No surprise really.

But if we're using a player's team success as the basis for captaincy then I guess that makes the most qualified captain to be Mitch Marner - whose London Knights / OHL success is the pinnacle any player on this team has acheived.

Reactions: Vaive50

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
McDavid hasn't lead his team anywhere either. Seriously Zeke, this is no argument at all. As far as "hoped for", if you hoped for more than Tavares has provided, then you were hoping for too much.

I have to go with Zeke on this, I expected the Leafs to take the next step with Tavares, but to be fair I think it is that the team isn't any better than they were last year without Tavares. Perhaps the players who left were underrated?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I have to go with Zeke on this, I expected the Leafs to take the next step with Tavares, but to be fair I think it is that the team isn't any better than they were last year without Tavares. Perhaps the players who left were underrated?
They didn't lose a step when Matthews was gone either, if that's how we view these things.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

what is the purpose of having a captain?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think Rielly is our guy, but because everybody else is talking about him, I'll talk about Matthews instead. Matthews might get it as the face of the franchise (which I would also support) and I think he wants it. The way I see Matthews is that he's a guy who wants the pressure and the responsibility. He wants more ice time, he wants to play in Toronto, and I think he wants to be THE guy. I want to see him really step up his game in the playoffs this year and prove that he can be that guy, but I think that's what he expects from himself.

1)
2)

I think Matthews is supposed to get it.
I'm waiting to see if Matthews shows up in the playoffs.

I've asked many times and I never receive a response.

How will the captain of the Leafs be chosen ?
Players only decide ?
I remember watching an interview with Babcock from a year or so ago (can't find it though) where he said that in Detroit it was a situation where everybody knew. Mike knew who the leader was (Lidstrom), the players knew, and Holland knew, so it was easy. The hope for the Leafs is that they will have a similar situation where everyone involved knows who the leader is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matthews has been the face of the franchise since being taken 1st overall - and the Leafs do have a more than a slight incentive to give him every reason to resign once his current contract is up in 5 years.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think Rielly is our guy, but because everybody else is talking about him, I'll talk about Matthews instead. Matthews might get it as the face of the franchise (which I would also support) and I think he wants it. The way I see Matthews is that he's a guy who wants the pressure and the responsibility. He wants more ice time, he wants to play in Toronto, and I think he wants to be THE guy. I want to see him really step up his game in the playoffs this year and prove that he can be that guy, but I think that's what he expects from himself.

I remember watching an interview with Babcock from a year or so ago (can't find it though) where he said that in Detroit it was a situation where everybody knew. Mike knew who the leader was (Lidstrom), the players knew, and Holland knew, so it was easy. The hope for the Leafs is that they will have a similar situation where everyone involved knows who the leader is.

they do

it's been Auston since his first game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I think we're moderately better in all aspects this year, even though we've had more key players miss games this year. so as expected.

I'm just not sure I see that Tavares has added anything above or beyond being the very good player that he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad