Give Fasth a chance?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's definitely not terrible. Don't think he's better than Hiller, but a pretty decent backup it seems like so far...

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
He's definitely not terrible. Don't think he's better than Hiller, but a pretty decent backup it seems like so far...

so far he seems like a good backup. besides the weak goal he was solid.
hiller has the ability to steal games though. we've definitely seen that. haven't seen anything from fasth to signal that (albeit its only 2 games)

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Watched last night game and i still believe Fasth is good enough for 13 to 15 games if he continues to play on a level he was playing in his 2 games. His rebound control has been pretty terrible and he will be in deep trouple against certain teams because of that, but otherwise he is solid enough to give u chance to win against weaker teams. I am a fan of spreading workload if u have good back-up. After all Hiller gets 20+ games in playoffs if they are going to win Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

Swedish playmaker*

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but have to put a word in on the Fasth-discussion.

It could be that Fasth doesn't adjust to the change from SEL -> NHL, but if he does, he will get the #1 from Hiller who is nothing more then mediocre. Fasth was DOMINANT in the SEL, and as stated before, the last goaltender who was as dominant as him was Lundqvist. Fasth has a real temper and a genuine competitive personality, it's like he has got a fire within that doesn't accept anything but winning.

I don't know what happened with Markström in Florida, haven't heard a word about him.

But skillwise it's imo (But remains to be seen if Fasth and Markström can translate their SEL dominance into the NHL)
1. Lundqvist
2. Fasth
3. Markström
4. Lindbäck

1027. Gustavsson

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Watched last night game and i still believe Fasth is good enough for 13 to 15 games if he continues to play on a level he was playing in his 2 games. His rebound control has been pretty terrible and he will be in deep trouple against certain teams because of that, but otherwise he is solid enough to give u chance to win against weaker teams. I am a fan of spreading workload if u have good back-up. After all Hiller gets 20+ games in playoffs if they are going to win Stanley Cup.

I pretty much agree with you, i also think playing behind hiller will help him progress as a goalie too. Hiller is one of the most technically sound goalies in the league.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He reminds me a bit of Irbe, and a bit of Hebert. Lots of twitching and high speed movement. Not so great on the rebounds or puckhandling, but he's got the agility to make multiple saves in a row off his own mistakes.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but have to put a word in on the Fasth-discussion.

It could be that Fasth doesn't adjust to the change from SEL -> NHL, but if he does, he will get the #1 from Hiller who is nothing more then mediocre. Fasth was DOMINANT in the SEL, and as stated before, the last goaltender who was as dominant as him was Lundqvist. Fasth has a real temper and a genuine competitive personality, it's like he has got a fire within that doesn't accept anything but winning.

I don't know what happened with Markström in Florida, haven't heard a word about him.

But skillwise it's imo (But remains to be seen if Fasth and Markström can translate their SEL dominance into the NHL)
1. Lundqvist
2. Fasth
3. Markström
4. Lindbäck

1027. Gustavsson

Hiller mediocre? Up until his vertigo issue, he's been the most consistant goaltender in the league only after Tomas Vokoun svs% wise. You don't think Hiller would be DOMINANT in the SEL?

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Hiller mediocre? Up until his vertigo issue, he's been the most consistant goaltender in the league only after Tomas Vokoun svs% wise. You don't think Hiller would be DOMINANT in the SEL?

Considering Gustavsson was even more dominant than both Lundqvist and Fasth (argument could be made for Lundqvist since it was lockout and SEL was the best league in the world that season), and that he ranks Gustavsson at "1027." skillwise, I wouldn't take what he says seriously. Obviously a troll. Fasth is probably too old to do something big in NHL. If he plays good maybe he could get a season or 2 as a starter, but probably not in Ducks.

eenok*

fasth is very good. hiller is not good at all.

WHY IS HILLER PLAYING?

fasth should be nr 1 . are you blind?

i really dont understand this. cant put friends on the bench in anaheim???

FASTH MUST PLAY OR FORGET TO BE AI WINNING TEAM!

THANK YOU!

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
fasth is very good. hiller is not good at all.

WHY IS HILLER PLAYING?

fasth should be nr 1 . are you blind?

i really dont understand this. cant put friends on the bench in anaheim???

FASTH MUST PLAY OR FORGET TO BE AI WINNING TEAM!

THANK YOU!

lol.. you're a fun poster :) little crazy but fun to read..

Swedish playmaker*

Consistent - yes. Elite - no? That makes him mediocre. I was just judging by his play in previous matches, and he is no where near being elite.

And yes, I exaggerated about Gustavsson. He can do some very good saves - BUT, he's soft mentally, just like Luongo. They go god mode sometimes, but then totally collapse when pucks are starting to find their way in.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
I'm just glad someone is challenging Hiller. If Fasth continues to impress, I'd be all for him taking over the starting role.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Consistent - yes. Elite - no? That makes him mediocre. I was just judging by his play in previous matches, and he is no where near being elite.

And yes, I exaggerated about Gustavsson. He can do some very good saves - BUT, he's soft mentally, just like Luongo. They go god mode sometimes, but then totally collapse when pucks are starting to find their way in.

If you by 'previous matches' you mean this season, you haven't seen Hiller when he's actually on. I'm not saying he's Elite right now, but he's been not that long ago. We haven't really seen him healthy much since.

Since entering the league, he's tied for 8th among NHL netminders in svs%. And prior to his vertigo he's 5th in the league. How is that 'mediocre'? Compare that to the incredibly overrated MA Fleury, who's just barely in the top 40...

Last edited:

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
Both goalies will get at least 2 games on this roadtrip. Will be very interesting as to who starts the trip against Colorado though, Fasth was incredibly solid tonight.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Both goalies will get at least 2 games on this roadtrip. Will be very interesting as to who starts the trip against Colorado though, Fasth was incredibly solid tonight.

this. i'm really wondering as well who starts...

since colorado's a bit banged up i'd like to see fasth in against colordao and then hiller against the stars

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Play Fasth Wednesday. No doubt in my mind, I hope BFB feels the same.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
At this point...absolutely play him against the Avalanche. 3-0 and played like a beast in the San Jose game. Avs aren't the best of teams anyway, so it would be a good opportunity to use him again.

Why not?

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I've always told you he is a good one. Fasth is a competitor! That's why I had little doubt about him. His rebounds are still a weak point but damn he has the poise.

Zibanejad

Aug 21, 2011
I've always told you he is a good one. Fasth is a competitor! That's why I had little doubt about him. His rebounds are still a weak point but damn he has the poise.

he used to have good rebound control in sweden. Either its just a nervous start or its the higher level, maybe a combo.. He should get there give it some time

If fasth is too old for nhl then what is the devils duo?

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I still believe Fasth is good enough to play 13 to 15 games this season. Hiller isn't that much better that they should overplay him on regular season.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I only caught the highlights of the games he played in, but I don't think his rebound control is generally bad, either. There were indeed a few big ones in his first couple of starts, but I do not get the impression that those are characteristic. I find rebound control to get used a little often when assessing goalies. It's an important part of the game, but it's also a bit tougher to judge what's a bad rebound and what's just a big rebound when you haven't played the position (not that it's impossible, but it's one of the tougher aspects to get a feeling for). The number of shots that can be dealt with while taking care of where the rebound goes isn't as high as the general consensus would suggest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad