Give Fasth a chance?

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
At what point does Viktor get a go in net? Hiller has started slow, and it would be interesting to see what Fasth can do.

Hiller has been good. I'd argue almost every goal scored to date he hasn't seen. This on top of the fact that the team is 2-0 and I see no reason why the coaching staff would be in a rush to give Fasth a chance.

That being said BB has stated a few times that Fasth will get a good amount of playing time over the course of the season.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Hiller has started slow? I'm not sure what game you've been watching.

Nearly every goal has come from poor defense, forwards/defense not blocking near enough, poor defensive coverage, not tying sticks up for tips etc

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
<- Agrees with above statements. The 7 goals against Hiller have been ones where guys have been left open or there has been bad covereage. People getting shots off through traffic and defenders screening Hiller.

Hiller has actually been pretty good at spotting the puck through traffic so far. And pucks are sticking to him nicely.

And he's confident. Last game he reached out a few times with pokechecks on the puck. He looks very reliable so far.

So if Friday rolls around and Hiller lets in 3-4 goals (his fault or not), I think Fasth is going to get a jump in net on Saturday. If Hiller puts up a shutout or has a stellar game on Friday, I think he starts again Saturday.

We need wins and points badly. If the Ducks win Friday, that qualifies as a mini-streak and as long as the game isn't too ugly, I don't see BB trying to mess with things too much.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Of the 7 goals im pretty sure 3 he had terrible screens on, 2 were deflections a few feet in front of the net, and one was a break away caused from bad neutral zone coverage.

I would argue hiller has been our best player(getz/winnick in the running) so far.

That being said id hope to maybe see him vs nashville on saturday. If not then, id expect to see him during the stretch of feb 1- feb 9(6 games in 9 days).

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Hiller has been solid. I think he's saved every shot he's seen aside from one. With that said, I hope Fasth gets a game on the upcoming back to back.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
If Hiller lets in 1 bad goal, or doesn't make a great save on 1 of the multiple HQ scoring chances against Calgary, that game goes to at least OT.

Hillers been good/great, Fasth will likely get his chance Saturday.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Agreed with this. Hiller has been good and Fasth will likely get his on Saturday.

Yep. I'd be surprised if Fasth didn't start against Nashville on Saturday night. Hiller kept us in the game during the 2nd period against Calagary, in which we were badly outplayed. We were lucky to go into the 3rd period with a tie game.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hiller has been fine but Fasth will get plenty of chances especially considering the amount of back to backs we play.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
6 games in 9 nights starts tonight, im guessing fasth will get at least 2 games in the next 9 nights.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Fasth could start tonight against Minny according Eric Stephens.

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
Viktor Fasth first off the ice at morning skate. Guessing he's in tonight against MIN and Jonas Hiller tomorrow vs. LA?

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Fasth could start tonight against Minny according Eric Stephens.

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
Viktor Fasth first off the ice at morning skate. Guessing he's in tonight against MIN and Jonas Hiller tomorrow vs. LA?

that could make sense. put hiller against a division rival (points worth more) and fasth against minny. i woulnd't be opposed to this.

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
that could make sense. put hiller against a division rival (points worth more) and fasth against minny. i woulnd't be opposed to this.

No way. Hiller is our first, and he must feel that hes first. If Victor play every second game, that wont work. Hiller is our first, Fasth may play about 10 games, but you cant go with 2 goalies in NHL.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
No way. Hiller is our first, and he must feel that hes first. If Victor play every second game, that wont work. Hiller is our first, Fasth may play about 10 games, but you cant go with 2 goalies in NHL.

Vancouver does it...as does St.Louis (or did last season).

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

I think he feels, he is first if he plays against LA. No point overplay Hiller if back-up turns out to be good, what I hope. And Fasth won't play every second game whole season, if he does it once in a while. I hope Fasth can play up to 13 to 15 games because of schedule, and Ducks make in the playoffs with fresh goalie.

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
I think he feels, he is first if he plays against LA. No point overplay Hiller if back-up turns out to be good, what I hope. And Fasth won't play every second game whole season, if he does it once in a while. I hope Fasth can play up to 13 to 15 games because of schedule, and Ducks make in the playoffs with fresh goalie.

This is only 48 game season, so dont worry about overplaying.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009

i dont think you understand... fasth isn't playing every second game.. the only reason is because its a BACK TO BACK. and I said that points against our division rivals are worth more, the only reason fasth MIGHT get the start today is only because how the schedule has us playing LA tomorrow and MINNY today...

nothing to do with playing fasth every second game

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
i dont think you understand... fasth isn't playing every second game.. the only reason is because its a BACK TO BACK. and I said that points against our division rivals are worth more, the only reason fasth MIGHT get the start today is only because how the schedule has us playing LA tomorrow and MINNY today...

nothing to do with playing fasth every second game

Ok. But in BB trousers, Fasth is not my choice tonight. There is Koivu and Granlund against. Bad memories. So MINNY with Hiller and LA with Fasth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad