Tribute Give Dubas a letter grade on the 2022 draft

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe the reason Kerfoot and Holl weren’t dealt at the draft was because Dubas wants 2023 picks

Kind of hard to judge them on a draft that’s a year away…
So Dubas plans of trading then UFA players Kerfoot and Holl next summer for draft picks, and not this year while still under contract. That is pretty clever thinking on the GM's part. :wg:

Its not hard to judge on picks already dealt, so what is his clever plan for that "a time machine" to go back in time and not sign Nick Ritchie, and not trade for McCann just to lose him in expansion to undo those transactions etc and get Leafs picks back?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I give Dubas an A-. That trade to dump 3.8mil for virtually nothing except the glamor of a 1st round selection was a fabulous move. I also really like their approach to the draft going after intelligence and leadership as opposed to high end skill. That's what they need to do for the bottom 6. I'm not going to pretend to know what these kids, can only assess the approach, and I like it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So Dubas plans of trading then UFA players Kerfoot and Holl next summer for draft picks, and not this year while still under contract. That is pretty clever thinking on the GM's part. :wg:

Its not hard to judge on picks already dealt, so what is his clever plan for that "a time machine" to go back in time and not sign Nick Ritchie, and not trade for McCann just to lose him in expansion to undo those transactions etc and get Leafs picks back?

There is literally 95% of the off-season and 11.5 months until the next draft. Those guys still have a lot of time to be traded.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The picks prior to Dubas aren’t Dubas’ fault.

Also even if they kept the picks, there would never be players that trend like Marner or Matthews, both of whom are franchise players, a top 15 and 5 player in the league respectively.

Talk about unrealistic expectations.

Of course not but if we get the same results form the Dubas drafts we are doomed and Dubas is not picking in the top 10 so yes, I am saying don't expect any unicorns.

As far as expectations go, Dubas has 5 drafts under his belt and Sandin is his only pick on the roster to date.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Of course not but if we get the same results form the Dubas drafts we are doomed and Dubas is not picking in the top 10 so yes, I am saying don't expect any unicorns.

As far as expectations go, Dubas has 5 drafts under his belt and Sandin is his only pick on the roster to date.

Unfortunately due to the complete drafting ineptitude of the previous regime, the Leafs don’t get the benefit of the influx of cheap ELCs that they should.

We can’t blame Dubas now when even the best of late 1sts and beyond are 3-5 years minimum away from regular duty.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dubas' 5 Drafts (with most recent season's age):

1sts (2): Sandin 21, Amirov 20
2nds (5): Robertson 20, Knies 19, Durzi 23, Hirvonen 19, Minten 17
3rds (5): Niemela 19, Kokkonen 20, Moldenhauer 17, SDA 21, Stotts 21
4ths (6): Abbruzzese 22, Villeneuve 19, Hildeby 20, Akhtyamov 20, Abramov 20, Holowell 23
5ths (5): Voit 18, Ovchinnikov 19, Koster 20, Kral 22, Grebenkin 18
6ths (5): Holmberg 22, Peksa 19, Miettenin 20, Rindell 21, Miller 19
7ths (7): Lisowsky 17, Tverberg 19, Schingoethe 19, Fusco 20, Loponen 20, Bouthilier 22, Kizimov 21

"Mortgaging our future"

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yahoo gave us a C. How many firsts and seconds has Dubas given up? The real question is are we mortgaging the future? The answer is yes. Are we falling behind other teams, again the answer is yes. If Mathews leaves when Dubas is fired, then what?

Reactions: ToneDog

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think Dubas is terrible. I’m surprised he’s still your GM. I mean our GM was complete dogshit and we kept him for way too long too. I expect Dubas is on thin ice. From an outsiders perspective I find him to be awful. Leafs have had a great young core for years now and he’s been unable to augment that group at all. Still doesn’t have a goalie etc.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yahoo gave us a C. How many firsts and seconds has Dubas given up? The real question is are we mortgaging the future? The answer is yes. Are we falling behind other teams, again the answer is yes. If Mathews leaves when Dubas is fired, then what?
See responses to me above. Dubas' got it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

4ths (6): Abbruzzese 22, Villeneuve 19, Hildeby 20, Akhtyamov 20, Abramov 20, Holowell 23
7ths (7): Lisowsky 17, Tverberg 19, Schingoethe 19, Fusco 20, Loponen 20, Bouthilier 22, Kizimov 21

"Mortgaging our future"

35 picks in 5 years fwiw

We are now at the point where we can start To gauge his first and maybe his second yeast drafts.

Sandin and Durzi have promising NHL careers at this point. Holmberg and Kral are knocking at the door but need to keep progressing this year to show they are NHL calibre. That’s 2018.

Nick Robertson is also showing tremendous potential and should be a solid NHLer. Abruzzese is another who is showing glimpses in his game action but clearly needs more development time to prove himself. Finally Kokkonen and Abramov need to take steps forward in the AHL, like Kral and Holmberg, but are probably a bit Heinz.

So out of those 15 picks, 3 are looking like solidNHLer’s (more than just depth players). 3 that are close to being NHLers (in a depth role at least). And 3 are trending up but need to have strong seasons in the AHL.

Reactions: SprDaVE

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The funny thing about this line of thought, every year people are disappointed in the playoff failures because expectations are higher. If expectations are high, it means the GM has put together a team deserving of high expectations. If the GM put together a team of high expectations, does that not mean he is doing a good job?

I get the playoff failure frustrations, I may be more frustrated than anyone. But there’s something more going on than just the GM.
The funny thing about this line of thinking, this GM didn’t even bring in the pieces that give us high expectations. He was gifted rather than put together, the toughest things to acquire were already there, a wet dram scenario to take over. I get your point as well, but….

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The funny thing about this line of thinking, this GM didn’t even bring in the pieces that give us high expectations. He was gifted rather than put together, the toughest things to acquire were already there, a wet dram scenario to take over. I get your point as well, but….
Dubas is sacrificing everything at his disposal to support the few he paid half the Cap for. And it’s not like they are even 1 win away from the finals. They can’t even survive the 1st hit.
Not a solid long term formula.
You either get your gratification or you end up without a pot to **** in.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The trade itself was excellent and deserves propers, but Mrazek was his own mistake that he had to fix. It worries me that its part of a larger pattern of pro scouting missing hard - Mrazek, Ritchie, Foligno and assets needing to leave to fix it. They’ve hit as well but look at the two teams who just played to see the difference.

Having three picks but getting five guys is good, you can’t dispute that.

Aside from the goalie its always the same players - ‘high IQ’ safe guys. Just once it’d be nice to pick up a guy who has issues but does X better than anybody in the draft. They need a guy who can play either F or D at about close to the level Nylander plays at, and snagging him lower is the only way they get to the next level.

Maybe it happens with Minten who has the most potential, but I’m not seeing anyone I like as much as Amirov, Topi or Knies, or Sandin and Lily before them.

B-/C+?

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No grade, but am kind of annoyed we didn't take anyone with higher upside in the second and didn't take any chances on Russians that dropped.

The goalie prospect is intriguing to me.

The majority of the guys are 6 foot+, surprised the usual crowd isn't giving A+'s...

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Another re build

Reactions: thewave

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

"Mortgaging our future"
every teams fans can list there draft picks , your list means absolutely nothing

and i do like how you used ''most recent seasons age'' to make them appear younger , lol

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not only are the Leafs losing in round #1 of the playoffs their mortgaging their future for the right to do so.
Leafs have picked 35 times in the past 5 drafts - which is the default number of picks.
Remember the good old days when the GM dealt;
The Toronto Maple Leafs agreed to send defenseman Roman Polak and center Nick Spaling to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for second-round picks in 2017 and 2018.
You think acquiring draft picks because we're the worst team in the league and selling off players is "the good old days"??

Reactions: Tarmore and kb

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You can't judge it at all right now.

Dubas comes up with some interesting players but it's a question if whether they can transition to actual NHL roster players.

That'll take a couple years at the earliest.

Reactions: Tarmore

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You think acquiring draft picks because we're the worst team in the league and selling off players is "the good old days"??
His post was so devoid of rational thought or facts that I actually feel bad for him.

But then I realize every single other post is exactly the same.....

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs have picked 35 times in the past 5 drafts - which is the default number of picks.

2 firsts
5 seconds
5 thirds
6 fourths
4 fifths
6 sixths
7 sevenths

12 picks in the top 95
23 picks in the rest

Yup default number of picks. Too bad 2/3 of he picks fall in the bottom 4 rounds and 1/3+ are in the last two rounds.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2 firsts
5 seconds
5 thirds
6 fourths
4 fifths
6 sixths
7 sevenths

12 picks in the top 95
23 picks in the rest

Yup default number of picks. Too bad 2/3 of he picks fall in the bottom 4 rounds and 1/3+ are in the last two rounds.

Weird that there would be more picks in 4 rounds than in 3 rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad