Tribute Give Dubas a letter grade on the 2022 draft

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Overall Grade: B+

Mrazek Trade: A-

As a whole the trade to get rid of 3.8M/2 was extremely painless. Moving down 13 spots is quite literally nothing. I didn't like the signing originally, but I understood it, and it went about as poorly as you could possibly hope. The trade in a vacuum was well above average though for me.

How can u give the Mrazek trade an A- considering Dubas made the mistake himself to sign him. If that is another GM's mistake, i would agree with that grade possibly. Considering Dubas created that problem to begin with, that trade situation deserves an F.

Reactions: mclaren55

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
How can u give the Mrazek trade an A- considering Dubas made the mistake himself to sign him. If that is another GM's mistake, i would agree with that grade possibly. Considering Dubas created that problem to begin with, that trade situation deserves an F.
I believe i kind of agree with the poster you quoted. I think he's saying he gives the resolution to a poor signing a high grade. Of course i could be wrong and he is in fact grading the entire Mrazek situation from beginning to end an A- in which case that is an overly generous rating.

Myself, i award Dubas a C.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
D+ or C-
Dubas deserves some credit for making a good trade to dump Mrazek but at the same time he deserves more criticism for signing that contract in the first place.

He didn’t make any moves to add a goalie despite multiple being traded for lower prices. He didn’t trade Holl or Kerfoot for picks to create more cap space or add draft capital.

I don’t have a strong opinion of the picks he made but I do think the team deserves some trust here. A few guys they drafted developed well in their D+1 seasons the last couple years so we should take a wait and see approach there.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
D+ or C-
Dubas deserves some credit for making a good trade to dump Mrazek but at the same time he deserves more criticism for signing that contract in the first place.

He didn’t make any moves to add a goalie despite multiple being traded for lower prices. He didn’t trade Holl or Kerfoot for picks to create more cap space or add draft capital.

I don’t have a strong opinion of the picks he made but I do think the team deserves some trust here. A few guys they drafted developed well in their D+1 seasons the last couple years so we should take a wait and see approach there.

I don't know if they pay signing bonuses on July 1 or start of UFA this year but I imagine Kerfoot doesn't move until his cash owed is down to 750k.

Reactions: Tarmore

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
One first round pick in the past 4 drafts. Even his future (Amirov) is in doubt.

Not overly impressed with Dubas mortgaging the future with no post season success to show for it.

D+

Reactions: DarkKnight

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
D

-he gave up assets to correct his own mistake
-2nd rd pick has low upside and most had him in the 3rd rd
-drafts two more smurf wingers
-2 more overagers , one of which is already turning 21 this summer

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
One first round pick in the past 4 drafts. Even his future (Amirov) is in doubt.

Not overly impressed with Dubas mortgaging the future with no post season success to show for it.

D+
Wonder if people realize we only have 3 surviving draft picks in next years 2023 draft and we just finished grading this class, for the same reason you mention here.

Leafs 2nd next year & 3rd in 2024 is already spent along with our 2nd from this draft to dress 39 & 40 year old Giordano.
Leafs 3rd next year already committed to get out from the Nick Ritchie UFA signing much like our 1st was used to get out of the Mrazek mistake this year.
Leafs 4th next year was borrowed so Leafs could make a 4th round pick in this draft to draft an overage goalie that was already passed over in multiple drafts.
Leafs 7th is on its way to Pens as part of Leafs acquiring Jared McCann so they could give him to Seattle their leading scorer in the expansion draft.

So as on right now only Leafs 1st, 5th and 6th round picks remain from 2023 draft class and we haven't even started this 2022-23 season yet. With no starting goalie and a track record of trading away Leafs 1st in 4 consecutive drafts I don't like our chances of picking in the 1st next year either,

You could almost earmark your post here and preserve it, so you can re-post again AS IS for grading the 2023 draft as its 100% applicable to this and next years drafts. :wg:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Wonder if people realize we only have 3 surviving draft picks in next years 2023 draft and we just finished grading this class, for the same reason you mention here.

Leafs 2nd next year & 3rd in 2024 is already spent along with our 2nd from this draft to dress 39 & 40 year old Giordano.
Leafs 3rd next year already committed to get out from the Nick Ritchie UFA signing much like our 1st was used to get out of the Mrazek mistake this year.
Leafs 4th next year was borrowed so Leafs could make a 4th round pick in this draft to draft an overage goalie that was already passed over in multiple drafts.
Leafs 7th is on its way to Pens as part of Leafs acquiring Jared McCann so they could give him to Seattle their leading scorer in the expansion draft.

So as on right now only Leafs 1st, 5th and 6th round picks remain from 2023 draft class and we haven't even started this 2022-23 season yet. With no starting goalie and a track record of trading away Leafs 1st in 4 consecutive drafts I don't like our chances of picking in the 1st next year either,

You could almost earmark your post here and preserve it, so you can re-post again AS IS for grading the 2023 draft as its 100% applicable to this and next years drafts. :wg:
the real question is ''I wonder if his fans care he's already burned through next yrs draft picks''

it's truly remarkable how much damage he's done

-no num1 G and few if any out there available to acquire
-ancient declining D
-after the 3 amigos up front there's only a grossly overpaid declining JT , Kerfoot lol and a who lot of scrap heap guys

our new GM next off season will have a massive job of trying to clean up the shit show Dubie left

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
the real question is ''I wonder if his fans care he's already burned through next yrs draft picks''

-ancient declining D
-after the 3 amigos up front there's only a grossly overpaid declining JT , Kerfoot lol and a who lot of scrap heap guys

our new GM next off season will have a massive job of trying to clean up the shit show Dubie left
All that and zero playoff success
Well done Shanny.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

-ancient declining D

Truly amazing this guy has been able to keep his job. Truth be told, you and I could make the playoffs if we inherited the team he did by leaving it in auto pilot.

I pity the GM who takes over for this clown if 34 leaves. Not to mention the die heart fans.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Truly amazing this guy has been able to keep his job. Truth be told, you and I could make the playoffs if we inherited the team he did.

I pity the GM who takes over for this clown if 34 leaves. Not to mention the die heart fans.

The funny thing about this line of thought, every year people are disappointed in the playoff failures because expectations are higher. If expectations are high, it means the GM has put together a team deserving of high expectations. If the GM put together a team of high expectations, does that not mean he is doing a good job?

I get the playoff failure frustrations, I may be more frustrated than anyone. But there’s something more going on than just the GM.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nobody can properly grade this, like most drafts for 4-6 years. It’s basically, they didn’t pick my choice, so it’s sucks, or I love these guys, but it doesn’t mean much until they bust, or contribute.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog and kb

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Could have had Lambert, Howard, Beck, Chesley…..
Crazy….this lack of picks and good picks will catch up eventually

Reactions: Trapper

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Maybe the reason Kerfoot and Holl weren’t dealt at the draft was because Dubas wants 2023 picks

Kind of hard to judge them on a draft that’s a year away…

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

-no num1 G and few if any ways out there
-ancient declining D

Lets not forget Leafs made only 3 picks in 2021 draft also the previous year, and all these 3 draft classes 2021, 2022 and 2023 draft picks being sacrificed are essentially to pay off the losses in round #1 to CBJ, Mon, and TB of the past.

Not only are the Leafs losing in round #1 of the playoffs their mortgaging their future for the right to do so.

Leafs didn't need to deal a single pick from any of these 3 drafts they still could of lost in round #1 because they didn't change the outcome even with that sacrifice. The cost of losing in the playoffs goes well beyond the handshake line, when it comes to mortgaging away the Leafs future for the opportunity to shake the winning teams by the Leafs each year.

Our current GM is even going out and signing UFA free players Mrazek and Nick Ritchie and then paying future 1st and conditional 2nd/3rd to get out of his signing mistakes and earning praise and those players and transactions didn't even have any impact of the playoff results because neither even existed nor dressed for the Leafs against TB. That is even worse then wasting draft picks to prop up failing playoff teams.

Remember the good old days when the GM dealt;

The Toronto Maple Leafs agreed to send defenseman Roman Polak and center Nick Spaling to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for second-round picks in 2017 and 2018. Then used those manufactured 2nd rounders on Brian Boyle and Tomas Plekanec to prop up playoff runs and Leaf fans to this day cry bloody murder for wasting draft picks and foolishly mortgaging the future to lose in round #1. Those same hypocritical Leaf fans are giving the current GM high grades for his draft class, despite limited picks and unbothered in slightest by the mortgaging of the future now. :wg:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Lets not forget Leafs made only 3 picks in 2021 draft also the previous year, and all these 3 draft classes 2021, 2022 and 2023 draft picks being sacrificed are essentially to pay off the losses in round #1 to CBJ, Mon, and TB of the past.

Not only are the Leafs losing in round #1 of the playoffs their mortgaging their future for the right to do so.

Leafs didn't need to deal a single pick from any of these 3 drafts they still could of lost in round #1 because they didn't change the outcome even with that sacrifice. The cost of losing in the playoffs goes well beyond the handshake line, when it comes to mortgaging away the Leafs future for the opportunity to shake the winning teams by the Leafs each year.

Our current GM is even going out and signing UFA free players Mrazek and Nick Ritchie and then paying future 1st and conditional 2nd/3rd to get out of his signing mistakes and earning praise and those players and transactions didn't even have any impact of the playoff results because neither even existed nor dressed for the Leafs against TB. That is even worse then wasting draft picks to prop up failing playoff teams.

Remember the good old days when the GM dealt;

The Toronto Maple Leafs agreed to send defenseman Roman Polak and center Nick Spaling to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for second-round picks in 2017 and 2018. Then used those manufactured 2nd rounders on Brian Boyle and Tomas Plekanec to prop up playoff runs and Leaf fans to this day cry bloody murder for wasting draft picks and foolishly mortgaging the future to lose in round #1. Those same hypocritical Leaf fans are giving the current GM high grades for his draft class, despite limited picks and unbothered in slightest by the mortgaging of the future now. :wg:

Why not go back to the 2020 draft? Maybe because they made almost 2 drafts worth of picks (12)

Also he traded 13 spots to get rid of Mrazek, not a 1st. Unless you also want to be thorough and include a high second asterisk* when trying to be so pessimistic.

The good ole days you are referring too we’re when this team was a perennial basement dweller who had one of the worst scouting departments in the league.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
An A, based solely on dumping the Mrazek contract for virtually no cost.
The picks look extremely interesting but who knows?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The funny thing about this line of thought, every year people are disappointed in the playoff failures because expectations are higher. If expectations are high, it means the GM has put together a team deserving of high expectations. If the GM put together a team of high expectations, does that not mean he is doing a good job?

I get the playoff failure frustrations, I may be more frustrated than anyone. But there’s something more going on than just the GM.

The expectations were never higher going into the season following the loss to the Caps. We have 3 $11m players. Expectations are to win the cup and we have not come close (hence why some fans are upset). Now most fans don't care about regular season results and expect them to lose in round 1.

As @hotpaws says "it's truly remarkable how much damage he's done". Unless he hits on a number of his picks soon, we will continue to fill the roster via cheap UFAs because the 4 guys he bet everything on haven't been able to get it done.

All you have to do is look at the drafts prior to Dubas taking over. Outside of 16,34,88 and 37, there is nothing and it is hurting us. As for Dubas' drafts, think what you want but there are no trending 16,34 or 88s in the pipeline. Yup there are a couple of guys who look good but until the pipeline pushes out some solid players, it will be rinse and repeat IMO.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The expectations were never higher going into the season following the loss to the Caps. Now most fans don't care about regular season results and expect them to lose in round 1.

As @hotpaws says "it's truly remarkable how much damage he's done". Unless he hits on a number of his picks soon, we will continue to fill the roster via cheap UFAs because the 4 guys he bet everything on haven't been able to get it done to.

All you have to do is look at the drafts prior to Dubas taking over. Outside of 16,34,88 and 37, there is nothing and it is hurting us. As for Dubas' drafts, think what you want but there are no trending 16,34 or 88s in the pipeline. Yup there are a couple of guys who look good but until the pipeline pushes out some solid players, it will be rinse and repeat IMO.
That poster makes a living about misrepresenting everything, if not outright lying.

Kinda all makes sense now...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The expectations were never higher going into the season following the loss to the Caps. Now most fans don't care about regular season results and expect them to lose in round 1.

As @hotpaws says "it's truly remarkable how much damage he's done". Unless he hits on a number of his picks soon, we will continue to fill the roster via cheap UFAs because the 4 guys he bet everything on haven't been able to get it done to.

The picks prior to Dubas aren’t Dubas’ fault.

Also even if they kept the picks, there would never be players that trend like Marner or Matthews, both of whom are franchise players, a top 15 and 5 player in the league respectively.

Talk about unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad