Tribute Give Dubas a letter grade on the 2022 draft

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I wish I knew enough about some of these new prospects.

I am certainly happy Dubas drafted a goalie.

For those of you who know these recently drafted leafs let us know what you think.

My Grade

B-

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
C seems appropriate. The prospects are all fine. Average. Nothing bad happened. Nothing good happened. It was quiet for the Leafs other than fixing a mistake to get more cap space.

Now the real test starts. Grade will change a lot from now to the start of the season. I don't think they can go through another couple dud signings. Not all signings need to be home runs, but they can't be massive failures either on their top free agent signing(s).

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This is truly a draft where I don’t think you can give a grade for a few years. These guys seem like swinging for cheap ELC filler down the road, on the second contracts of Matthews and Marner. In other words, what we’ve been missing the last couple years.

There’s some upside to like with a couple of them, so it’s not just drafting to fill the bottom lines of the squad

Reactions: The Podium

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For me it’s a C-.

Just feels like everything is parlay on the original “we can and we will” bet in terms of scratching out just enough cap, fix enough previous mistakes to make X, Y, Z work. Some okay picks with a thought process you can follow along but not exactly the kind of picks where you start dreaming of a star studded kid line being formed down the road. Missed out on the early goalie movement. Lots of uncertainty.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think he did well under the circumstances. I don't know enough about the players selected to grade Dubas in that respect, but he was able to unload Mrazek's dead cap space for next to nothing, and he turned 3 draft picks into 5 draft picks.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
It's an incomplete pending who we get to play goalie

The entire draft centers around dumping Petr in the hope we can upgrade.

If we end up with a bonified 1 I'll be Happy

Jack at an inflated price is probably a c solely because we probably could have had him for cheaper if we didn't sign mrazek then insult him

Any tandem not including blackwood is a D to F especially if they cost together more then what Jack does on his own.

Special shout out to Stevie Y for trying to talk dubas off the ledge one day then absolutely blowing up the goalie market day two. Absolutely savage

• Haha
Reactions: Eric bungay

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
For me it’s a C-.

Just feels like everything is parlay on the original “we can and we will” bet in terms of scratching out just enough cap, fix enough previous mistakes to make X, Y, Z work. Some okay picks with a thought process you can follow along but not exactly the kind of picks where you start dreaming of a star studded kid line being formed down the road. Missed out on the early goalie movement. Lots of uncertainty.
You know nothing about these picks. No one does. That’s what makes these threads and your response silly

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I think he did well under the circumstances. I don't know enough about the players selected to grade Dubas in that respect, but he was able to unload Mrazek's dead cap space for next to nothing, and he turned 3 draft picks into 5 draft picks.

The biggest issue I have with this is that he caused every difficulty he had with this draft

Additionally selling next year's 4th for one this year kind of creates the same issue next year and leaves us with less chips on deadline day

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Probably like a C-.

Minten was a major reach and you can't do that in the early 2nd for a low upside project pick. I still have him as a top 10 prospect in our pool (barely) but there were guys who easily could have been in that Blue Chip or top 5 territory available.

Moldenhauer was fine for the spot, especially since we traded back, but he is nothing special for our pool and we are not lacking wingers. Didnt find him overly impressive in the WJC, but he did have some adversity to get through with injuries so we will see. There were still better options (including Brennan and George).

Hildeby is interesting because he is big, but he is also older and will need to establish himself as an SHLer next year. We don't have much time to wait for him to figure things out, and we had other opportunities to get solid prospects in net from this draft. I did watch his highlights in the SHL when he did have his stretch of games and he did look impressive, so if you really wanted a goalie prospect who wasn't small like Ivanov or Milic, it would have been tough to find much better at that point.

Grebyonkin is just another wasted Russian pick as far as I am concerned. We can keep throwing pick after pick at these long shots but we are not even drafting the best Russians... which is why we will continue having more success finding them in UFA than in the draft. Grudinin was available. His linemate Kvochko was more impressive even if he is smaller. Even taking Sergei Ivanov as an undersized goalie made more sense.

Lisowsky was easily the best value pick, and maybe even overall pick, for us in the draft. He has the most upside and while he does have some risk involved with needing bulk and a bit more speed, his shot is lethal and most of his issues are things which should become less of a concern as he strengthens up. The only BPA pick we actually made in this draft.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How? None of them will be playing in the NHL in a few years. It doesnt take much to have a good grade for a draft as long as one of them becomes an impact player, but we wont be able to find out till a few years later.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
B-

Getting themselves out from under the Mrazek contract instead of adding 4 years of dead money in itself was worth a A- unfortunately they lose a whole mark for that contract in the first place.

The picks look OK I guess I mean who knows the Leafs have had some luck with 2nds and got some games out of them over the last few years.

Its my feeling that they still have a pretty big deal or two to make this off season in order to take a real run at it this upcoming season.

Reactions: Beaumaris

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Minter was probably an ok pick as a second

However, when there's a media narrative that's created where the spin is that were getting the same guy we were going to get at 25 and then we pick a dude with a lot of third round projections we look stupid.

I hope that narrative wasn't being sent out/leaked by our front office because it made us look like clowns.

Either temper expectations or sell the incoming goalie or you need to be absolutely sure you get what you're thinking you're going to get because this looked similar to the hafa arrujo raptors pick where they panicked when their dude went off the board

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
F

Dubas is always chasing his tail ... no plan ... constantly giving up picks to fix his past mistakes - Brutal GM ... BRUTAL!

Do this ever year

Blow picks. Pick late, we never see those picks, is justified as good picks because we didn't pick in the first because we dumped it in a wasteful effort.

Reactions: fahad203

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad