Girgensons: Buffalo or Rochester?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Send him to Rochester and Larsson as well. Get them big minutes in all situations as 2/3rds of a top line.

Yeah, at this point, I would prefer those guys developing in Rochester. I don't care if we have to stuff the Sabres roster with filler for the remainder of the season. Luke Adam? Sure, why not. I want Girgs (and Larsson, to a lesser extent) forcefed huge minutes in Rochester.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I would normally vote to send him down, but I think Girgensons has that extra will to succeed if pushed hard enough, so why not give him big minutes here and watch him thrive?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, at this point, I would prefer those guys developing in Rochester. I don't care if we have to stuff the Sabres roster with filler for the remainder of the season. Luke Adam? Sure, why not. I want Girgs (and Larsson, to a lesser extent) forcefed huge minutes in Rochester.

I was thinking that I would rather have Luke Adam as filler than have Girgensons and Larsson with the Sabres if the rest of the season is going to be a train wreck.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I'd send Larsson down but I'd actually rather move Girgs up. Give him a spit on the PK or plant in front of the net on the 2nd PP. I just think this is a kid that you dump him in the hardest positions you can find and then watch him succeed. He's a special player if not a special talent. Keep challenging him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With Girgensons i would play him on the top 6 the next few games and see how he does. If he doesnt put up points I would send him down to rochester likely for a few months and then call him up in mid January.

Larsson I would keep him on the team longer, then send him down in December and have him go to europe with Rochester. I would probably send Larsson down when Armia is back and healthy.

Buffalo with a healthy roster only has room for 1 of the waiver exempt kids.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I'd say Buffalo - There is little to no expectations of this club for the season, so why not give Girgs & Larsson top-6 mins?? Make sure you're not playing them to the point of fatigue, but give them the chance to play their equals not their inferiors.

As for Grigs, he could use the lower level experience, or else protected mins in Buffalo - He seems to need a bit of handholding as far as his confidence goes...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would normally vote to send him down, but I think Girgensons has that extra will to succeed if pushed hard enough, so why not give him big minutes here and watch him thrive?

A few posters have mentioned this but we already have a few players in that boat that are a little older (Ennis, Hodgson and Foligno). I'm more concerned with giving them the minutes for now and seeing what we can get out of them first. Just throwing NHL minutes at kids isn't the answer for their development.

The young forwards around the league posters are getting giddy about are not playing a ton of minutes. They are playing sheltered minutes and usually with at least one experienced player. Trying to force feed minutes to Girgs while he plays with other young players trying to find their way may not be beneficial to either.

Right now I'm more concerned with getting Foligno's game going in the top 6 and trying to get Grigs going as well. Let Girgs develop his offensive game in the AHL.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Get as many young players out of this toxic environment as possible.

Drop a couple stacks on Quebec and see if they'll release Grigs too.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Just throwing NHL minutes at kids isn't the answer for their development.

The young forwards around the league posters are getting giddy about are not playing a ton of minutes. They are playing sheltered minutes and usually with at least one experienced player. Trying to force feed minutes to Girgs while he plays with other young players trying to find their way may not be beneficial to either.

Girgensons isn't your typical 19 year old prospect. They argued that throwing him into the AHL wasn't the answer to develop him, by the end of the season he was one of their best players. The young forwards around the league are getting the same treatment as Girgensons, reduced minutes (12-14 a night for Girgs), and a veteran linemate (Porter, which causes people to rage). The snarl and drive and he has is just beyond what I expect from a person. He's a special player who demands a different technique to develop. I'm hoping Rolston treats him the same way he was in Rochester, ease him in with Porter, add another shift or 2 on every couple games, start giving him a fill in role on special teams. With the drive and determination this guy has you aren't going to break him by giving him the opportunity to fail, in fact I think the opposite, he's going to surprise you. He has that "it" thing that people talked about with Toews, he might not be able to match his talent level but I'm not concerned in the least bit about him being an impact NHLer.

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
Send him to Rochester. I have a very low opinion of keeping young players and only giving them limited minutes. I think he's just not ready for big minutes in the NHL.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Girgensons isn't your typical 19 year old prospect.

Actually he is. I think you and a few others are getting a little carried away with how incredible or unique he is as a prospect.
They argued that throwing him into the AHL wasn't the answer to develop him, by the end of the season he was one of their best players.

And why not build on that with him playing heavy minutes in all situations so he can further develop his game. Girgs along with Larsson/Flyn made up the top line by the playoffs with Girgs on the wing. Why not get him back in the AHL and get him going as a center. Thats not going to happen in the NHL any time in the near future. He also needs to develop his offensive game regardless whether or not he plays center. He is FAR from being above the AHL.

The young forwards around the league are getting the same treatment as Girgensons, reduced minutes (12-14 a night for Girgs), and a veteran linemate (Porter, which causes people to rage).

Kevin Porter is a 4th line fringe NHLer. The other rookies are not getting put with players like that as their primary vet to lean on. I like Porter btw.

The snarl and drive and he has is just beyond what I expect from a person. He's a special player who demands a different technique to develop.

He really doesn't have much snarl and I've been a tad surprised by that. He rarely throws big hits nor a lot of them to be honest, at least not nearly what I expected. Girgs also doesn't play chippy at all and backs away from confrontations/scrums as soon as possible even with his teammates engaged. Thats hardly a player with snarl. He certainly is a very hard worker and plays hard but he doesn't quite have the snarl I was expecting. I'm attributing it to his youth at this point. But I'm starting to see vets get in his face immediately when he does try to engage physically and his response so far has been to back away. Thats not good.

I'm hoping Rolston treats him the same way he was in Rochester, ease him in with Porter, add another shift or 2 on every couple games, start giving him a fill in role on special teams.

This somewhat misses the point I was making about already having young players that need those minutes right now. Foligno for example brings more muscle, snarl and better play at this point and he needs those minutes to develop as well.

With the drive and determination this guy has you aren't going to break him by giving him the opportunity to fail, in fact I think the opposite, he's going to surprise you. He has that "it" thing that people talked about with Toews, he might not be able to match his talent level but I'm not concerned in the least bit about him being an impact NHLer.

I'm not dismissing his potential but he has so much to work on in his game and needs to play for it to happen. He would certainly not be hurt at all by going down. I'm as excited about his future as anyone so don't take any of this as a dismissal of him or his potential.

Btw you want to talk about unique as a 19 year old prospect? Then lets talk about Toews at 19yrs old. He was a top 6 all situations center for the Hawks and averaged 18:40 a night that year. His stat line that year : 64gms 24g 20a 54pts. He missed games his rookie year to play for Canada in the World juniors thats why he played only 64gms. Girgs is now where near that level right now as a 19 year old.

EDIT: If possible I would send the entire Amerks top line from the playoffs back down (Girgs/Larsson/Flynn).

Last edited:

twinpeaks

Jul 17, 2013
One more year in the A. This is going to be an ugly season and I don't want him to be scarred even if he's strong willed.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Actually he is. I think you and a few others are getting a little carried away with how incredible or unique he is as a prospect.

We disagree right here. There has not been a player with Girgensons attitude in our prospect pool in a long time. I would be willing to say there probably wont be one like him in a while. Last off season people were slamming their keyboards in all caps that Girgs in the AHL was the wrong decision and no matter what point was made they just threatened to put you on ignore for misinterpreting their opinions so I'm not going to bother debating the point with you, neither one of us will change our opinion. Just like last season I expect to sit back and smile while I enjoy the career of a player that is always gonna rise up to meet the challenge given to him. He's gonna be fine and gonna be an impact NHLer for a long time.

your edit: I agree

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The guy had 28 pts in 61 games last year. He is far from a finished product offensively. I think those three playoff games he had are being given way too much weight.

Send him down, play him at center and in all situations, and give him all the minutes he can handle.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think those three playoff games he had are being given way too much weight.
Same thing happened with Grigorenko and impressing in TRAINING CAMP. A training camp in which he was one of the few players to have been playing since the lockout. Buffalo fans aren't the only people hyperbolic and prone to jumping the gun, our sports management is too.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think Girgensons is the kind of kid who thrives on facing adversity and whose confidence isn't going to be broken by playing on a ****** team or not racking up a lot of points. And I'd still vote to send him back to Rochester. His offensive game can definitely still develop more there, and probably his physical game as well. Let him get big minutes with the Amerks for a little while longer. He'll have plenty of chances to play his way back up to Buffalo this year, either when injuries strike and they need to call someone up or when we're selling off players at the deadline.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I would send him to Rochester just to put off re-signing him for another year. I don't think it's worth burning a year off his ELC for him to play third line minutes on a terrible team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Part of me wants him to stay in Buffalo because he's fun to watch.

Part of me wants him to go to Rochester and slow cook.

The selfish side won the vote.

:laugh:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I don't think Zemgus can improve his offense by playing as a primitive, defensive-minded two-way forward.

I don't think it's a good idea for him to be playing alongside AHL-tier players for a fraction of the time that he could be playing alongside AHL-tier players in the AHL. With no to very little ice time on special teams, mind you.

Also - percentage wise, how often does a Sabres 3rd-line actually get to be in the attacking zone? 30% of the playing time? How much of those 30% is spent desperately trying to hold on to the puck along the boards? You can probably think of some other questions like this.

Unless the grand plan is to gradually play him into a top 6 role during the course of the season, the 3rd or 4th line on the Sabres team is a bad environment for him to be developing in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad