Girgensons: Buffalo or Rochester?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Simple question: Where would you prefer Girgensons play for the remainder of the season?

As I understand it, if Girgensons is on the roster for four more NHL games, Year 1 of his ELC will kick in. On the other hand, if he is not on the roster for nine games, his ELC will again slide to next season, and next year will become Year 1 of his ELC.

Aside from that, and more importantly in my opinion, is where one believes is the better environment for Girgensons to be in order to maximize his potential. Here, the question is whether you believe that place to be in Rochester or Buffalo. There are arguments for both sides.

In Rochester, Girgensons would play more minutes on a nightly basis. One could argue that he needs to further develop his offensive abilities after scoring 28 pts in 61 AHL games last season. If the organization so chose, they could start developing him at center, which is his preferred position. He would also be able to get away from the mess that is the 2013-14 Sabres.

In Buffalo, he could start the adjustment process to the speed of the NHL game while playing against NHL players. Some may feel that the "trial by fire" method is best for his development. Further, it could be argued that he's performed better than most of the vets on the team, and has earned his NHL roster spot.

So what would you like to see happen to Girgs: sent to Rochester, or stay with Buffalo? What are your reasons?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This year counts for his ELC if he plays 10 games, not 9. Anyway, that's only a minor point and has little bearing on my opinion that he should be down in Rochester.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Rochester where he can play big minutes and work on the offense.

The only reason for keeping him in Buffalo would be the hope that his work ethic and attitude would be contagious to the other youngings on the team.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Rochester. He can develop his offensive game playing more minutes there.

This organization spent years not rushing its prospects to the NHL. I wonder if it is beneficial to do it now. I just dread if this is going to be an Edmonton rebuild. I was hoping it would be a little quicker.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Should have been Rochester all along. Injuries, of course, can't be helped. But there should have been a couple NHL forward brought in for depth this summer so guys like Girgensons can develop properly.

Hawerchuk10

Oct 19, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Shoot, I posted this in the wrong thread. My question is about Grigorenko: Can he go to AHL? I keep hearing he is not allowed to go to RaChaCha but I still cannot understand a reason. He is 19yrs old, so whats the problem? Anybody have any info please?

IMO Grigorenko needs to go to the AHL, so thats my vote. He has tons of potential, but needs to go down and develop.

Girgensons should DEFINITELY stay on the Sabres. Sorry for messing up this thread.:shakehead

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Can he go to AHL? I keep hearing he is not allowed to go to RaChaCha but I still cannot understand a reason. He is 19yrs old, so whats the problem? Anybody have any info please?

IMO he needs to go to the AHL, so thats my vote. He has tons of potential, but needs to go down and develop.

Are you thinking of Grigorenko because I haven't seen anyone say Girgensons can't go to Rochester and in fact he spent all of last season there.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I voted Rochester. I would like to see him play more minutes, develop his offensive game, and marinate a bit more in the AHL. Also, I'd like to see him groomed as a center. I am concerned that the decision has already been made to keep him at LW. It appears they want Larsson at C, and they think Catenacci projects better as a center. With Hodgson already here, and the possibility (likelihood?) that they're going to draft a stud forward (center?) in one or both of the next two drafts, I fear that they want him at LW.

It's not too late to change that, but I believe that Rochester is the best place for him to get his sea legs at center.

Rochester. He can develop his offensive game playing more minutes there.

This organization spent years not rushing its prospects to the NHL. I wonder if it is beneficial to do it now. I just dread if this is going to be an Edmonton rebuild. I was hoping it would be a little quicker.

I was thinking about this last night. Remember the days where we'd be asking if guys like Pominville, Roy, et al. were spending too much time in the AHL and were stuck there instead of playing in Buffalo? Where guys weren't being called up until they truly dominated down in the AHL? I miss those days. It seems that we're now rushing all of our top youngsters to the NHL. These guys need to develop.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I was thinking about this last night. Remember the days where we'd be asking if guys like Pominville, Roy, et al. were spending too much time in the AHL and were stuck there instead of playing in Buffalo? Where guys weren't being called up until they truly dominated down in the AHL? I miss those days. It seems that we're now rushing all of our top youngsters to the NHL. These guys need to develop.

I guess my main thought about this is is it unique to Buffalo? The league seems to be getting younger and teams that keep young guys in the AHL for a while, like Detroit, seem to be the exception. A lot of this seems related to the salary cap, of course, where teams would rather have young guys on ELC filling roles that higher paid veterans might've filled otherwise.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Keep him up here in the NHL.
I see no reason to send him to Rochester, his development should only blossom here in Buffalo.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I voted here.

I'd like to see him play more minutes, in a bigger role... and I want to see him do it here.

His competitiveness/nature/natural desire to be better will benefit more from being in the NHL.

Put Girgensons in a top 6 role....in Buffalo.

Girgensons-Hodgson-Vanek - feed them
Ennis-Larsson-Ott - utilize them
Foligno-Grigorenko-Stafford - protect them
Porter Line - who cares about them

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I voted here.

I'd like to see him play more minutes, in a bigger role... and I want to see him do it here.

His competitiveness/nature/natural desire to be better will benefit more from being in the NHL.

Put Girgensons in a top 6 role....in Buffalo.

Girgensons-Hodgson-Vanek - feed them
Ennis-Larsson-Ott - utilize them
Foligno-Grigorenko-Stafford - protect them
Porter Line - who cares about them

I agree if he were to play a more offensive role up here...Otherwise I'd rather see him develop his offensive game in the A.

He reminds me so much of Kesler when Kesler was breaking into the league. Tons of heart but his body and hands are just not quite ready for the NHL yet.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Rochester for me. I wasn't nuts about sending him there last year but it wasn't the disaster I feared. However, I still fear he's on the Manny Malhotra track, who had a lot of similar positives as Girgensons did at the same age. That's a good consolation prize, but I'm hoping there's still a chance for more of an offensive contribution from him and I'm not sure he's going to get a chance to develop that aspect in his current position with the Sabres.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Girgensons is my favorite prospect. I caught him live last year and was instantly won over by his skill and intensity. Then again, I also was at the Syracuse game when he was hit from behind and went head first into the boards.

I vote Rochester simply because his aggressive and "caution be damned" style of play lends itself to further concussions at the NHL level, where the opposition is bigger, stronger, and faster. Shield him a little, let him prosper at a lower level, and bring him up when he's learned to keep that head on a swivel.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Was going to say Rochester so that he can play top minutes and PP/PK as a center, but Jame makes a good point. We're dealing with a different kind of prospect with Zemgus. Getting used to tougher competition should keep him challenged to the max and directly improve his game as time passes. I do wish that the intention is for him to eventually be at center, and it's still very possible that they're just breaking him in at wing this year.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Send him to Rochester. He needs more seasoning. Let him learn his role in Rochester first. Which will hopefully be a very good two-way player with offensive ability. Rochester is going to be the better team this year as well. That puts him in more pressurized situations. Experience in those situations goes a long way.

I like what I saw from him, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad