Injury Report: Girardi - Swollen Knee (DTD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Of course they would.

FWIW I retired a couple years ago. I worked years-decades of graveyard and early morning shifts. I didn't make massive mistakes. I was always systematic in the ways I did things. They might not like me a lot but they couldn't complain about the job I did--I never wanted to give them leverage like that so I had to be organized every day. The supervisors wanted all kinds of things--they always did--some of which were ridiculous. As far as I was concerned at least in some case they only had the vaguest notions about how things worked or what their personnel were capable of. They were pretty much winging it when they weren't being micromanaged by somebody or two or three from 90 miles away.

Anyway we were union. I never looked at the supervisory people in a 'my bosses' kind of way. They had rules to live by. We had rules to live by. There were periods of mutual cooperation and there were occasions for disagreement. Sometimes they'd win the disagreement but mostly we did because usually it was them trying to bend things.

Not to go off-topic, but you just described my (and probably most) union(s) to the letter. :laugh:

I thought I had typed that out for a second.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Just going to drop this here:

Since Girardi either played injured [re-injured/aggravated?] (according to OP, after VAN game on the 9th) or has not been in the lineup, the other team has scored 5 or more goals in 5 out of the last 6 games.

In the previous 29 games, the other team scored 5 or more goals once. And that's admittedly even with G not playing terribly well this year. Once.

Now, obviously there is a bit more going on there than just G. Hank's hot streak. Injuries. Team in a slump. But those injuries, the team slump, and Hank coming out of the hot streak were an issue for a while before G went down. Didn't see the team completely collapse defensively a la the last several games though.

Welcome to life without the favored whipping boy.

But keep on proposing we ship out Girardi or Staal without any sort of replacement on defense. Defense means nothing.

---
As a disclaimer: While I think the defense has been laughably bad; from what I've seen the problem has also been somewhat (if not significantly) with the forwards. Just terrible coverage of the late man. Terrible reads on when to cover for a d-man pinching. Terrible coverage in their own d-zone. Right now there's just bad. Everywhere. Hoping the break gives them a chance to reset and turn it around.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Since Girardi either played injured [re-injured/aggravated?] (according to OP, after VAN game on the 9th) or has not been in the lineup, the other team has scored 5 or more goals in 5 out of the last 6 games.

In the previous 29 games, the other team scored 5 or more goals once. And that's admittedly even with G not playing terribly well this year. Once.

Now, obviously there is a bit more going on there than just G. Hank's hot streak. Injuries. Team in a slump. But those injuries, the team slump, and Hank coming out of the hot streak were an issue for a while before G went down. Didn't see the team completely collapse defensively a la the last several games though.

But keep on proposing we ship out Girardi or Staal without any sort of replacement on defense. Defense means nothing.

---
As a disclaimer: While I think the defense has been laughably bad; from what I've seen the problem has also been somewhat (if not significantly) with the forwards. Just terrible coverage of the late man. Terrible reads on when to cover for a d-man pinching. Terrible coverage in their own d-zone. Right now there's just bad. Everywhere. Hoping the break gives them a chance to reset and turn it around.

Agreed.

We need to get him permanently off this team ASAP if we have any chance of winning since he is still hurting the team even while being injured.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Agreed.

We need to get him permanently off this team ASAP if we have any chance of winning since he is still hurting the team even while being injured.

I don't think you agree with me. I'm not saying he has been good this year (but don't think he's been as bad as you would believe if you only read this board). But if you're not replacing him (as virtually every proposal on this board to ship him off doesn't), this team is not better defensively. That said, the defensemen are also not the only problem with the defense in these past few games.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
You can replace Girardi and Staal with better players at half the price. Just because the Rangers have multiple defenseman in the running for the anti-norris, doesn't mean they miss one of the culprits.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
You can replace Girardi and Staal with better players at half the price.

Just because you can type it on a message board doesn't make it true.

And please don't give me the advanced stats crowd's canned answers of Petry, Gilbert, or Kindl. Because that is just laughable.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

---
An injured 4th-5th dman was replaced by AHL defenders, of course the defense naturally gets worse.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't think you agree with me. I'm not saying he has been good this year (but don't think he's been as bad as you would believe if you only read this board). But if you're not replacing him (as virtually every proposal on this board to ship him off doesn't), this team is not better defensively. That said, the defensemen are also not the only problem with the defense in these past few games.

Heh, just being a bit sarcastic..just upset over yet another loss.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gonna post the same thing in the Girardi and Klein threads because I think the injuries of both of them are the main reasons we've been so bad the last few weeks.

We have really bad depth on the right side of defense. McDonagh is not as good on his off-side, McIlrath has had a decent rookie season but he's not ready for big minutes, Boyle doesn't defend at an NHL level. This also causes problems on the left side. Staal playing top pair minutes when he should be playing bottom pair minutes with his current play. Summers playing NHL minutes when he should be playing AHL minutes. Skjei wasn't NHL ready.

I'll even admit that I was wrong thinking Klein was getting overrated. I thought McIlrath was starting to get to a point where he could replicate Klein's role, but I think the last week or two has shown that he's not ready for that. Girardi's going to continue to get a lot of hate on HF because most regard advanced stats so highly, but I think its fairly evident that the team is a lot worse without him playing healthy. The healthy part is important because most athletes can not be effective at the highest level of their sport playing with a fairly significant injury.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
please, please don't come back any time soon

please

You don't necessarily need a replacement in a trade.

Klein is the replacement. Even outside of his super hot start he's better than Girardi. Obviously there's better defensemen out there than Klein for such a role but what are you gonna do.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Just because you can type it on a message board doesn't make it true.

And please don't give me the advanced stats crowd's canned answers of Petry, Gilbert, or Kindl. Because that is just laughable.

It is laughable because no team would consider trading those players for Girardi lol, they'd be insane.

It is almost impossible now to get rid of Girardi with how bad his contract/play is. Replacing him through a trade that doesn't involve him, or a free agent signing wouldn't be hard because there are a lot more defenseman out there better than him than there are worse than him.

Right now he is the 3rd best RD on a ****** defense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
An injured 4th-5th dman was replaced by AHL defenders, of course the defense naturally gets worse.

You think the difference between a 4th-5th dman and an AHL defenseman is why we've given up 19 goals in the last four games? Or maybe you are underrating the "4th-5th dman" and it also creates a situation where other players on the team have to play roles they aren't capable of playing?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You think the difference between a 4th-5th dman and an AHL defenseman is why we've given up 19 goals in the last four games? Or maybe you are underrating the "4th-5th dman" and it also creates a situation where other players on the team have to play roles they aren't capable of playing?

Definitely could make a world of a difference.

But it's not like the team was playing great defense even when Girardi was fully healthy. They were getting unsustainable otherworldly goaltending during that same period. Lundqvist had the best stretch of his career possibly.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think some things are coming clear. 1. That even if players like Boyle, Yandle can move the puck and have better possession numbers--they're still not very good defensively. 2. We've taken our best overall defenseman (McDonagh) and marginalized his effectiveness by playing him on his wrong side. 3.--there's not enough good options on D right now for killing penalties and a good power play team like the Caps is going eat a defense like we had tonight alive.

I'm going to say that Yandle reminds me a lot of Brian Campbell several years ago. If we're going to resign him we need to be careful about how much and how long.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think some things are coming clear. 1. That even if players like Boyle, Yandle can move the puck and have better possession numbers--they're still not very good defensively. 2. We've taken our best overall defenseman (McDonagh) and marginalized his effectiveness by playing him on his wrong side. 3.--there's not enough good options on D right now for killing penalties and a good power play team like the Caps is going eat a defense like we had tonight alive.

I'm going to say that Yandle reminds me a lot of Brian Campbell several years ago. If we're going to resign him we need to be careful about how much much and for how long.

Brian Campbell, like, a top 20 two way beast Brian Campbell?

I'm perfectly happy having that problem....?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

But it's not like the team was playing great defense even when Girardi was fully healthy. They were getting unsustainable otherworldly goaltending during that same period. Lundqvist had the best stretch of his career possibly.

Absolutely. Hank's been terrible recently. Most of all, I think its exposed our absolute lack of any competent depth after Girardi and Klein on that right side. McIlrath's not ready for big minutes, and there really isn't anyone else to play that side.

Anton Stralman is :popcorn:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Some people here were putting all their animosity on two players (Girardi and Staal)--blaming them for all the team's ills and now Girardi's been out for four games---it's got even worse. It's apparent that there are a lot more problems--maybe even bigger problems than Girardi. There are favorites here who are not playing well. Henrik has lost it the last 3 weeks. Nash is not leading. Yandle--excellent at some things and not good at others. These guys get byes all the time.

It's interesting in any case to see--a lot of people got their wish with Girardi out of the lineup.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not to go off-topic, but you just described my (and probably most) union(s) to the letter. :laugh:

I thought I had typed that out for a second.

I don't know why I missed this but it's funny. Maybe it is the same union. I remember reading Charles Bukowski's book about his travails at the Post Office and thinking---absolutely nothing has changed in 30 some years since when he wrote it and when I was reading it. I laughed and laughed and everyone I passed it to were laughing too but it was also like ****!--it rang too true to them to be a work of fiction. The same stupid ********--the same petty *******s running everything. I don't imagine most workplaces are better but I do think there are lots that are worse and I think it's horrible that for so many younger people the future is not too bright--that it's been sold out from under them. I'm of the mind that my generation has failed the next.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Absolutely. Hank's been terrible recently. Most of all, I think its exposed our absolute lack of any competent depth after Girardi and Klein on that right side. McIlrath's not ready for big minutes, and there really isn't anyone else to play that side.

Anton Stralman is :popcorn:

Literally, McIlrath has been the BRIGHT SPOT of the defense ....

Dear god, you need help with your analysis

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
To be clear, the Rangers put a statistically awful lefty on the top pairing with McDonagh and then called up Chris Summers. Somehow, this exonerates Dan Girardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad