Prospect Info: Giorgio Estephan (2015, 152nd) – '16-17: Lethbridge #9 (WHL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Not signed per Hamilton and Vogl. I guess BUF doubts Estephan's pro quickness/pace since they're not issuing him an ELC. They gave contracts to Cornel and Karabacek last year, so idk what's that different about Estephan compared to those prospects other than that and JB. This was a Prendergast pick so maybe he's on the outs too and not there to speak for him? Idk. It's not that I expected Estephan to be a gamebreaker, but I thought he developed well enough for a contract to work on more in Rochester and maybe provide depth in the future if that goes well. Or maybe this is part of upping Rochester's competitive profile with less projects, idk? I wouldn't be surprised to see him reunite with Wong in Chicago/Vegas if he passes through a redraft, given the choice.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Regier and Murray seemed to sign every borderline prospect to entry level contracts and it caused a logjam of outmatched and overclassed players in Rochester that is part of the reason for their lack of success. I, for one, welcome a GM who won't just sign a player simply because they were drafted. As is, the organization is saddled with Cornell, Karabacek, Kasdorf and Martin.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Cornell and Karabacek.Heh. The draft master Murray drafted two guys in the mid second that are barely AHL caliber and could pass as echl players. Laughable.

It could be estephan didn't want to sign or maybe Botterill didn't want him.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Cornell and Karabacek.Heh. The draft master Murray drafted two guys in the mid second that are barely AHL caliber and could pass as echl players. Laughable.

It could be estephan didn't want to sign or maybe Botterill didn't want him.

Not to mention the defensive prospects available at the time, McKeown, Dougherty and Brandon Montour. And no hindsight is not what it is about they were high ranked prospects.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Regier and Murray seemed to sign every borderline prospect to entry level contracts and it caused a logjam of outmatched and overclassed players in Rochester that is part of the reason for their lack of success. I, for one, welcome a GM who won't just sign a player simply because they were drafted. As is, the organization is saddled with Cornell, Karabacek, Kasdorf and Martin.
It's not "just because he was drafted". He was leading the WHL playoffs in scoring at one point. The guy tore it up this year and last, so it's curious but I've never actually watched him play so I have no insights on that. Obviously JB does...

Last edited:

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
I think it's hilarious that Hamilton went on to criticize Estephan's skating in another tweet, like he's some sort of an expert on Giorgio as a player.

Not saying that I'm the expert by any means, but it's a little curious considering Hamilton never talked about him outside of development camp times, and certainly never spoke anything negative about Estephan till now.

Trying to look like a big shot knowledgable reporter (which we all know he isn't).

Rant over.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think it's hilarious that Hamilton went on to criticize Estephan's skating in another tweet, like he's some sort of an expert on Giorgio as a player.

Not saying that I'm the expert by any means, but it's a little curious considering Hamilton never talked about him outside of development camp times, and certainly never spoke anything negative about Estephan till now.

Trying to look like a big shot knowledgable reporter (which we all know he isn't).

Rant over.

Said it in such a condescending manner too.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I remember Tim Murray once saying - in the context of having so many draft picks - that you can't sign them all. The few scouting reports I read about Estephan mentioned that he would need to come to the AHL and work on his quickness and pace. It was mentioned above as well - but I think this was probably the major factor in this non-signing. Additionally, Botteril has said he wants more depth capable of playing in the NHL and leading/providing competition for ice time in the AHL. That means two way contracts. We know they are not anywhere near the 50 contract limit, but perhaps Botteril wants to keep his options open in that regard rather than signing someone with speed and quickness issues.

I have no problem with this non-signing.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
We talking about the 2014 draft where Murray joined 70% into the season and didn't get his scouting team in place until 2015 again? Must be a Thursday.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Wow 650k to pricey for the cap guru Botteril? Its not like Rochester doesnt need depth.

I think Estefan wanted a max contract, so $925K...not his daft position amount.

This was my feeling the whole time. The small sample size in Rochester was promising. I would think any organization signs him.

Why ...I disagree...if he was that God had play top ahl line with 2 of fasching, carier, bailey, baptiste, and nylander.

They may though he wasn't nhl caliber.

As for packed system of 13-14 picks isn't ad much of a factor now.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
Estephan is a perfect candidate for an AHL contract. But Sabres can't do that.
Rules say he goes back in the draft.
Someone will probably pick him.
Will see if he gets ELC. Likely he will.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not signed per Hamilton and Vogl. I guess BUF doubts Estephan's pro quickness/pace since they're not issuing him an ELC. They gave contracts to Cornel and Karabacek last year, so idk what's that different about Estephan compared to those prospects other than that and JB. This was a Prendergast pick so maybe he's on the outs too and not there to speak for him? Idk. It's not that I expected Estephan to be a gamebreaker, but I thought he developed well enough for a contract to work on more in Rochester and maybe provide depth in the future if that goes well. Or maybe this is part of upping Rochester's competitive profile with less projects, idk? I wouldn't be surprised to see him reunite with Wong in Chicago/Vegas if he passes through a redraft, given the choice.

It very well could be about pace and quickness, especially in translating to the pros.

Estephan is a perfect candidate for an AHL contract. But Sabres can't do that.
Rules say he goes back in the draft.
Someone will probably pick him.
Will see if he gets ELC. Likely he will.

It seems like slim odds that he gets redrafted. Redraftees almost never go higher and most don't even get re-selected.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Hopefully this wasn't a case of "I don't want to sign him to an ELC because I'm new in the organization and don't know the kid well enough" out of GMJB.

There's a lot of huge offseason decisions coming up and the "it's my first day" excuse only goes so far.

That being said, I have faith that GMJB opted out of Estephan for good hockey reasons.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
It seems like slim odds that he gets redrafted. Redraftees almost never go higher and most don't even get re-selected.[/QUOTE]

True. But if this year is a weak draft in the bottom half of the draft, (as some have said) I figure Estephan might have a better upside than many. I think someone will pick him. Might not get ELC though.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He's not the type of depth Rochester needs if Botterill is serious about putting a better product on the ice. Maybe in Cincinnati.

I watched a couple of Estephan's games in Rochester and my reaction to him at 19 down there was 'he's made for the AHL'. I saw a Phil Varone and any number of star AHL forwards in his game. His NHL upside, no idea other than he'd have to pile up points down there and get his shots like Varone and others have to make an impression when called up as injury replacements.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I watched a couple of Estephan's games in Rochester and my reaction to him at 19 down there was 'he's made for the AHL'. I saw a Phil Varone and any number of star AHL forwards in his game. His NHL upside, no idea other than he'd have to pile up points down there and get his shots like Varone and others have to make an impression when called up as injury replacements.

Yeah, can't say I even come close to agreeing with that. Maybe he'll eventually be a good AHL player. I'd rather Botterill use this contract or spot in Rochester on someone a bit more proven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad