Confirmed with Link: Giordano (50% retention) and Blackwell to Leafs (2 x 2nd RD (2022, 2023)+ 1 x 3rd RD (2024))

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Can you guys tell me a little bit about what we can expect out of Blackwell?
Smart player. Speedy, can PK and hustles every shift. Good shot and skill.

Would have loved for Seattle to Re-sign him.

But the player cards that say 5'9" are seriosuly inflated. He's closer to 5'6"-5'7" i think.

He throws his body around, but mostly bounces off other larger players, and when it gets physical, he is not as effective as he gets knocked around a bit due to being one of the smaller guys in the league, but he has a ton of heart.

Depending on your playoff match-up, I think he could be a great pick-up. He can play just about anywhere up and down the lineup. Just don't expect him to make a difference against the Tom Wilson's of the league ;)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You'll absolutely love him.
Hustles all the time, doesn't back down from anyone and able to play both on pp(very good shot) and pk.
There's also a reason why Panarin wanted him on his pp line in NY.

Well, he's 38 and his skating isn't as great as it used to be.

Though, he still played a top 4 role and was solid in doing so.
Thank you!

Best of luck throughout the rest of the season. You guys have a TON of picks and I imagine ever more to follow. Should be a really strong team in the next few years. Beniers looks like a stud too.

Reactions: bukwas

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
I was hoping more for Giordano especially as we gave Blackwell too. On the other hand if our scouting is on the money they will get two centers like Sebastian Aho with those second round picks.:skeptic:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
And another request about whether Blackwell is best on the wing or at centre? Thanks in advance.
Seems like this would entirely depend on the style of play of his line mates. My favorite line the last month or two was Blackwell-Gourde-Appleton. They played hard, had a lot of chemistry, etc.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeah, not a great return for Gio while throwing in Blackwell on top of it.
I also think that their 2nd rounder this year could/should go to Arizona for taking on Ritchie's contract.
I thought about that too, so I looked it up, and it looks like Arizona is getting a 2025 2nd for that deal. :help:

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think I read the 3rd was in 23 though.

Either way, I am not sure Arizona will be patient enough to wait 2 or 3 extra years to just move up a round. :laugh:
You are correct about 23.
I wouldn’t wait for the 2nd in 25 either

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Haha hard to believe just how bad Francis is.

I've been saying this for ages and even I am surprised at how much he has bungled the Kraken's first season.

Wow. Fire him now.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

I've been saying this for ages and even I am surprised at how much he has bungled the Kraken's first season.

Wow. Fire him now.

name the GM that would had gotten us more for gio... Not francis fault the deadline market had a overvalued price on talent especially Dman. Charoit was never ever actually worth a first round pick. Florida over paid for him.. Thats hwy the expectations was a first for gio... Its not franics fault for wanting what the deadline market set for prices. blame the deadline market itself there is a reason why the trades during this time are so stupid...

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Wow. Fire him now.

Have you actually watched any of the games?

Gio has not been great.

No, the return wasn't a huge win, but it sounds like Francis moved him to Toronto out of respect for Giordano, which is classy, and 2 2nds for him is actually more than fair value. (assuming the 3rd was for Blackwell)

This team is not worse with Gio out of the line-up, as we saw last night - which says a lot.

I'd personally be upset if my team traded two seconds for a rental Giordano at this stage of his career. That's just being honest.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Does Giordano look aged - I get that a lot of you guys were expecting a 1st for him - but does he still play like a top pairing dman?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
But then again, Mattews, Nylander, Brodie, and Muzin's deals will all be up and they could all be gone.

That 2025 pick could potentially be in the 30s
The only 1 I still see being there in a higher role is Matthews. Muzzin( for sure )and Brodie will probably be aged out of significant roles but they’ll spend to replace them so it’s most likely a wash. Nylander, I could see being moved this summer if Toronto bows out in the 1st again. That’s likely the end of Dubas who I believe is Nylander’s strongest Allie in their front office.
30’s seems like the result of something catastrophic to me.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Can you guys tell me a little bit about what we can expect out of Blackwell?
What Rainy said about Blackwell. Not the biggest guy, but a lot of heart. Does this trade mean Muzzin is more hurt than let on? Seems like you guys will have a logjam on the left side if/when your D gets healthy. Hope you guys can stop the Panthers.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
What Rainy said about Blackwell. Not the biggest guy, but a lot of heart. Does this trade mean Muzzin is more hurt than let on? Seems like you guys will have a logjam on the left side if/when your D gets healthy. Hope you guys can stop the Panthers.
He skated this past week in full practiec but they said now that they've got a baseline on him, they are going to take it slow with him (at least 2 concussions this season).

Nobody really knows if it's lip service or if they plan to LTIR him to the first game of the playoffs.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think this is a incredible trade for the Kraken. Declining Giordano + a throw in for two 2nds and a 3rd is awesome.
Could turn those picks into a 1st round pick easily.
Gio will most certainly not be re-signed by Toronto and will be looking at 1 year deals in the offseason.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Have you actually watched any of the games?

Gio has not been great.

No, the return wasn't a huge win, but it sounds like Francis moved him to Toronto out of respect for Giordano, which is classy, and 2 2nds for him is actually more than fair value. (assuming the 3rd was for Blackwell)

This team is not worse with Gio out of the line-up, as we saw last night - which says a lot.

I'd personally be upset if my team traded two seconds for a rental Giordano at this stage of his career. That's just being honest.
GMs never seem to mind no-movement clauses on the front side, but they do bounce back to bite. We weren't going to see a first for a limited market Gio rental absent a miracle. It is a reasonable price and good trade for the Leafs. They have issues on D, Giordano gets reunited with an old mate, and Florida's top three lines are pretty damn scary.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
He skated this past week in full practiec but they said now that they've got a baseline on him, they are going to take it slow with him (at least 2 concussions this season).

Nobody really knows if it's lip service or if they plan to LTIR him to the first game of the playoffs.
Ah, yes -- Plan-Nikita! Multiple concussions get scary. Difficult to predict recovery.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
name the GM that would had gotten us more for gio... Not francis fault the deadline market had a overvalued price on talent especially Dman. Charoit was never ever actually worth a first round pick. Florida over paid for him.. Thats hwy the expectations was a first for gio... Its not franics fault for wanting what the deadline market set for prices. blame the deadline market itself there is a reason why the trades during this time are so stupid...
The name I'm focused on is Oliver Kylington.

And I bet we will see leaks saying that Francis could have gotten more elsewhere but wanted to "do right by Gio" and send him to Toronto

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I give Francis a fail on this one. He's had more clear time to work on deals than any other GM (aside maybe from tank city Phoenix) and the return compared to what other D men fetched is low. Low 2nds could end up being nothing. And Blackwell thrown in with retention. Should have gotten more.
So many options for creativity this season and Francis has basically just done the inevitable with meh returns. Fail.

Reactions: dylanmacarthur

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
I give Francis a fail on this one. He's had more clear time to work on deals than any other GM (aside maybe from tank city Phoenix) and the return compared to what other D men fetched is low. Low 2nds could end up being nothing. And Blackwell thrown in with retention. Should have gotten more.
So many options for creativity this season and Francis has basically just done the inevitable with meh returns. Fail.
He is truly awful

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
I think this is a incredible trade for the Kraken. Declining Giordano + a throw in for two 2nds and a 3rd is awesome.
Could turn those picks into a 1st round pick easily.
Gio will most certainly not be re-signed by Toronto and will be looking at 1 year deals in the offseason.
Francis will not turn either of those 2nds into a 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad