Confirmed with Link: Giordano (50% retention) and Blackwell to Leafs (2 x 2nd RD (2022, 2023)+ 1 x 3rd RD (2024))

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
I guess this is okayish. I mean it's not terrible getting 2 x 2nds and a 3rd but obviously was hoping for more especially with Blackwell involved.

Reactions: bukwas

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Disappointing if it’s just 2 2nds and a 3rd.
Yeah. I would think 2x 2nds + 3rd is close to a 1st but not sure why we threw Blackwell in there.

Also, curious how much we are retaining. Can't say I am thrilled with the return but it could have been much worse. Also, curious if the low value is just because Francis waited too long or there was just not enough of a market for Gio.

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah. I would think 2x 2nds + 3rd is close to a 1st but not sure why we threw Blackwell in there.

Also, curious how much we are retaining. Can't say I am thrilled with the return but it could have been much worse. Also, curious if the low value is just because Francis waited too long or there was just not enough of a market for Gio.
Seravalli says it's 50% retained.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wonder if that's why the return was lower. Francis was working to meet this request.
Potentially. And I am pretty sure Francis comes out and says something like, 'Giordano has been a great leader and captain since he joined us. Blah .. blah .. blah ... We wanted to do right by his wishes and moved him to the team he asked us for'.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So two 2nds for Gio at 50%, and then likely a 3rd for Blackwell.

In a Vacuum, that is likely fair value. I was hoping for more based on the crazy recent transactions, but two weeks ago I was honsetly thinking that I would be happy with two 2nds for Gio.

Fact is, he just has not been all that great. We have been building him up on the trade board, but let's all be honest, he's been fairly pedestrian all season.

If I was a Toronto fan, I likely would not want to give up two 2nds for him.

A 3rd for Blackwell is disappointing in that I feel like Blackwell has more value to this club than that, but I don't see any team trading a 2nd for a guy that an expansion team is playing less than twelve and a half minutes a night,

All in all, fair deals, but I am not thrilled.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sounds like Francis did Giordano a solid and sent him to where he wanted to be. Retaining 50% and sending Blackwell should have netted an additional pick though. Should have been two 2nd's + 3rd + Dermott then Dermott to Vancouver for the 3rd.

Now that the big fish is gone try to see the market for Soucy, take calls on Fluery and Lauzon as well. At forward all of Johansson, Donato, Geekie and Appleton should be available for the right price.

Silkytentacles

Mar 9, 2021
Oregon
It’s not what I wanted but you know I could see Ron respecting where Gio wanted to go and not being able to get as much still I think we should
Be able to select some good guys and I am impressed by the 2021 crop so I do believe in Seattle’s scouting and Ron for the draft

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
While hindsight is 20/20, we can look back on the expansion draft and evaluate the results here since picking Gio was always for the TDL return he would bring.

Unfortunately, those two 2nds are not looking so hot with the opportunity cost being Oliver Kylington.

In fairness, Kylington was not the top of my board for the ED pick last spring either, as I had Gio from a flat out trade value perspective too, so I can't really fault Francis for this one, it just hurts to know what could have been.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
While hindsight is 20/20, we can look back on the expansion draft and evaluate the results here since picking Gio was always for the TDL return he would bring.

Unfortunately, those two 2nds are not looking so hot with the opportunity cost being Oliver Kylington.

In fairness, Kylington was not the top of my board for the ED pick last spring either, as I had Gio from a flat out trade value perspective too, so I can't really fault Francis for this one, it just hurts to know what could have been.
Yeah. And what is the living world man. I mean, Chiarot got a haul compared to what Gio got. He got more than what Blackwell + Gio returned. I just don't get that.

Reactions: smitty10

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yeah. And what is the living world man. I mean, Chiarot got a haul compared to what Gio got. He got more than what Blackwell + Gio returned. I just don't get that.
That Chiarot move was just poor GMing by Zito.

Chiarot was effective paired with Weber, but Weber has historically made all of his D partners look like studs. When Weber was out, Chiarot's game was not the same, and I believe that will be the player Florida is receiving, although they paid the Chiarot paired with Weber pricetag.

Reactions: bukwas

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Can you guys tell me a little bit about what we can expect out of Blackwell?

You'll absolutely love him.
Hustles all the time, doesn't back down from anyone and able to play both on pp(very good shot) and pk.
There's also a reason why Panarin wanted him on his pp line in NY.

also curious as well as an honest take on how Gio's looked this year. Thanks!

Well, he's 38 and his skating isn't as great as it used to be.

Though, he still played a top 4 role and was solid in doing so.

Reactions: Irie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad