Gillis Interview(post game)

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
One of the trades was probably Kesler, wonder what the other ones were. What could've been if they had gone through a rebuilding year in 14/15

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Kesler not surprised since he asked for one. Full ntc, but still talking about a similar return that Anaheim gave. Main issue would be that “prospect” which benning never got instead taking pizza over someone like Theodore.

Again, if the aquilinis have final say over deals, then what can he do?

It will always remain a mystery what he could have done trade wise. His track record isn’t that long in terms of trades.

Erhroff, Ballard, Booth, Kassian are his main ones right? But he’s going in the opposite direction in terms of giving up proven guys for prospects if he’s trying to change the team Dynamic or maybe it’s guys of similar age to change up the team.

Schnieder for 9th overall pick. Luongo for Markstrom and Matthias

I think if you get the 24th plus Theodore/Vatanen and Perrault its still better. Or if you get Rakell + Vatenen/Theodore + a later pick you are laughing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gillis went after Shea Weber hard. They were close to it, he visited him in Kelowna, then got the massive Philly offer and were knocked out of the running. Were crafting a trade in advance of signing him.

Lost Ehrhoff to the massive Buffalo contract.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Thought Rome on Horton was a clean bodycheck.

Timing of late hit was poorly defined. 4 game suspension was like a 16 game regular season suspension.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Hear that folks, players are humans too. The media and this rampant fanbase can actually drive players away from joining the team.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
This has been such an amazing interview so far. SO much amazing insight. Here is more!

Think the NHL tries the best they can to prevent concussions. Due to size speed and strength of players its hard to be as good as they can with that, but trying. Mitigate it as much as possible.

If Daniel was healthy for 2012, perhaps they could have made another run, but Quick was unbelievable and they knew how to beat us. Hard to say if they could have beaten them.

We were coming to the conclusion that after 2012, that it was time to start changing things. The intent was to do that, but things intervened.

Alain Vigneault was great. Started off rocky, didn’t know what was gonna happen. Sat there for most of a day asking questions. Needed a guarantee that he’d do the style of play I wanted. Changed from a defensive minded coach to offensive minded. I just thought he was incredibly passionate about the team, and he was agreeable to changes. Liked the way we played during the losing streak, then we really took off.

Negativity in the canadian media was a small number of people, that made media requests for players at bad times. Didn’t like the way we played, didn’t do it the right way. Marchand doing it in front of the official, with a 4 minute power play that changes the whole game. Didn’t want them to do it that way, some members of the media didn’t feel like we deserved to be there, and I took that personally. Should have just ignored it.

Easiest players ever to work with where the Sedins. Zero maintanence, hard working, dream players. We had others that were similar, but they were the best.

Went after Shea Weber really hard. Thought he would bring something we were missing. Thought we were close on Weber, visited him, then he got that massive offer, then we got knocked out of the running.

If you recall, Aaron Rome, hit Horton at the blue line, thought it was clean, and he got suspended 4 game. Thought we played hard enough, but after that we had not enough depth. Not turn the other cheek, but play really hard, and not go in the penalty box.

Thinks fan, media negative attention has an effect on players wanting to play here. Very different landscape in this day and age, in city like Canucks, there are some people that don’t want that level of scrutiny, and it prevents some players from coming here. Would have been a hero if won, but then we lost and there was riots and we couldn’t leave, so its a double edge sword.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Schnieder for 9th overall pick. Luongo for Markstrom and Matthias

I think if you get the 24th plus Theodore/Vatanen and Perrault its still better. Or if you get Rakell + Vatenen/Theodore + a later pick you are laughing.
Based on his trade history and what his vision for changing the complexion means. I would be fine with the Kesler deal simply swapping Theodore for pizza.

In theory always easier to talk about ntc not being an issue until you have your list of 3 teams. And seriously, you would destroy the fabric of the organization that you built if you threaten guys with ntc with the minors, especially guys the other players in the room respect. One thing to dump Gagner who has 1 year with the team another to do it to a guy with 5 or more years invested with the team.

Maybe those moves he wanted to make in 13-14 should have been done earlier.

But it sounds like aquaman controlled the direction of the team. And going from what they were the prior few years to moving out some core guys seemed like a major no no for them. Which sucks for the fans.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Gillis is 100% bang on about the officiating in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I made a post about it at the time, but basically the way the Bruins played was to play over the line at all times.

They challenged the referees to actually call penalties on them, and because they were basically committing multiple penalties each shift, they figured that the refs couldn’t really penalize them enough to offset the advantage they gained by playing over the line.

Basically they cheated the entire Stanley Cup Finals, which not only gave them an advantage, but put the Canucks at a disadvantage as they weren’t built for that kind of game.

Had the referees actually called penalties like they had been called all playoffs, we win the Cup, even with the injuries we had.

It can’t be understated just how much of an advantage Boston got from playing over the line and not being penalized for it.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Gillis talking about valuing science, technology and analytics vs Benning’s Stone Age philosophy makes me so depressed thinking of where we would be as an organization if he had stayed on as GM.

His insight on how he said he spent time in Australia and realized how much more advanced they are in fitness is something he would want to apply to an NHL club. That type of edge he is always looking for is what separates great teams from good teams.

I honestly would love to see him back as the President of the Canucks.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The Gilman and Gillis interviews are very similar in some ways. You can tell they've both learned from their mistakes.

I also think the "GM's only deal with the 1st round pick" thing is more specific to him than someone like Benning, who clearly is more involved in that side of things than Gillis ever was.

Reactions: alternate

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
His insight on how he said he spent time in Australia and realized how much more advanced they are in fitness is something he would want to apply to an NHL club. That type of edge he is always looking for is what separates great teams from good teams.

I honestly would love to see him back as the President of the Canucks.

He made the organization a first class organization during his time here as well, with the sleep doctor’s, cap friendly contract culture, offensive zone starts, etc.

He was always a forward thinker, a stark contrast to Benning’s backwards thinking.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad