Gillis Interview(post game)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gillis basically saying the Torts hire wasn't his decision.

Yep. This is huge.

He made it clear that he thought the team was going in the wrong direction and Torts was the wrong hire. Watching all the things that gave them a competitive advantage out the window.

He became a problem for the ownership was no longer influential.

Reactions: geebaan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Price to get Weber in 2012? Was he planning on offer sheeting him cause I don’t think the Canucks have what the Preds would have wanted to move Weber.

Hosgson was traded, and the prospects up to 2012 were meh. Even moving Schneider still leaves a lot left to add.

If 2012 he felt a change was needed why didn’t he make them? Cause it seemed to go the other way based on the contracts he gave out.

Higgins 4 years in 2013, was to end in 2017. 30 in 2013.
Burrows 4 years in in 2012, was to end in 2017. 31 in 2012.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Man alive. Basically said Ownership was the reason the team went sideways this segment. Holy mol.

Sent Sedins a text on retirement, thanked them, then told me best time of there careers, and realized how hard it is to build a championship team. Would be there for Sedins retire night.

Relationship with Luongo, got along really well. Work ethic set the tone for the team. Thinks when Rollie got brought it, made Luongo that much better, thinks he’s the best goalie coach in the world. When we made him captain, we wanted to recognize his work ethic. Wasn’t right decision in hindsight but just trying to recognize his talent.

When you get fired from a a job, you have a lot of considerations. Didn’t pay attention to who the Canucks hired, and didn’t think about it.

I don’t think I’ll ever be over 2011, just with the whole thing. WE worked so hard, we traveled so much, went through the first series, suddenly overtime of 7th game. Having gone though it the first time int he finals. Just the pressure from everything was draining. Lost the series, stuff happens, was just I couldn’t believe it.

I made a decision that this wasn’t gonna work. Didn’t like the direction of the team. I realized I was becoming part of the problem, watched a lot of things go out the window that made successful. I disagreed with certain things that happened, when I wasn’t influential in the decisions that I should be influential in. When your coach gets suspended for 15 games, you are done. He couldn’t remain after the outdoor game.

Unsung hero of management was Eric Crawford. Thinks he’s outstanding in his job, if I take another job, I would attempt to get him hard. Thought the way, took instruction, and did all the right things really hard.
There was a reason we didn’t call up Rypien during 2011, there was something that prohibited that, but can’t remember.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He also had an interesting note about the Chicago series where they were thinking if they complete the sweep they'd had more rest and probably fewer injuries. It was so important to get it done in 4 or 5, and they let them storm back in.

member 290103

The Gilman and Gillis interviews are very similar in some ways. You can tell they've both learned from their mistakes.

I also think the "GM's only deal with the 1st round pick" thing is more specific to him than someone like Benning, who clearly is more involved in that side of things than Gillis ever was.

I think that the stupid PR videos of the draft the Canucks post show otherwise. Benning really can only be applauded or criticized for the 1st round picks the team has made - the rest are scouting selections.

Reactions: nuck luck and Peen

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
People need to realize that the reason why Gillis is so beloved isn’t because he was 100% perfect, but rather because:

- He has the right mindset/philosophy. Even if he didn’t execute everything perfectly, you always understood the logic behind what he did or didn’t do, and it was generally the consensus right approach.

- He was a forward thinker. He didn’t just settle for mediocrity, he constantly looked for ways to get an advantage or advance the organization further, because in order to be the best, you have to innovate, you can’t just follow the leaders.

- He’s very self-aware. Knowing when you have made mistakes and working to correct them and prevent future issues is a huge asset to a president/manager. Compare this to others who double down on poor decisions and continue to try to justify mistakes instead of admitting and learning from them.

- He’s simply an intelligent man. He’s a succesful lawyer, and was an extremely revered player agent, notorious for getting great contracts for his players (a skill he brought to the Canucks where he managed to sign multiple players in their prime for less than market value). Intelligence is a huge asset when a large part of being a GM is negotiating with and trying to outsmart other people. A solid understanding of contract law (and an ability to understand the CBA as a result) are also major assets.

Gillis was a superstar GM who had a rough couple of years but never got the chance to correct his mistakes. It’s quite clear listening to him now that our organization would look a lot like the Maple Leafs right now (multiple young star players, extremely bright future) if he had been allowed to rebuild.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pretty much knew that. Just wanted to hear him say it. How many coaches can a GM fire? The guy after AV, if he’s not the answer then the GM is out too. So, didn’t seem like Torts was the guy Gillis would hitch his wagon to.

Makes you wonder why if everything was going well that ownership would change things. Was it cause Gillis said the end of the line is coming for this group and we need to change? We won’t be this good until we can fix the scouting and player development?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
People need to realize that the reason why Gillis is so beloved isn’t because he was 100% perfect, but rather because:

- He has the right mindset/philosophy. Even if he didn’t execute everything perfectly, you always understood the logic behind what he did or didn’t do, and it was generally the consensus right approach.

- He was a forward thinker. He didn’t just settle for mediocrity, he constantly looked for ways to get an advantage or advance the organization further, because in order to be the best, you have to innovate, you can’t just follow the leaders.

- He’s very self-aware. Knowing when you have made mistakes and working to correct them and prevent future issues is a huge asset to a president/manager. Compare this to others who double down on poor decisions and continue to try to justify mistakes instead of admitting and learning from them.

- He’s simply an intelligent man. He’s a succesful lawyer, and was an extremely revered player agent, notorious for getting great contracts for his players (a skill he brought to the Canucks where he managed to sign multiple players in their prime for less than market value). Intelligence is a huge asset when a large part of being a GM is negotiating with and trying to outsmart other people. A solid understanding of contract law (and an ability to understand the CBA as a result) are also major assets.

Gillis was a superstar GM who had a rough couple of years but never got the chance to correct his mistakes. It’s quite clear listening to him now that our organization would look a lot like the Maple Leafs right now (multiple young star players, extremely bright future) if he had been allowed to rebuild.

You don't what you've got until it's gone.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Couple of opportunities for Luongo to be traded to Toronto.

Had good relationships with all GMs and was not shut out from discussions or deals because of his former role as a high powered player agent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was there a single player that Gillis drafted or traded for who formed the nucleus of those President Trophy winning teams? Weren't the Sedins; Luongo, Kesler, Edler and Burrows already there when he arrived? If Gillis could have made one impact trade or drafted another two or three key pieces, the Sedins and Luongo would have hoisted the Cup at least twice each.

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Thanks everyone who worked for the Canucks, any success he had was direct result of their professionalism and their willingness to join something and get on board with an idea of this is how we're going to play, this is how we'll be viewed in the community.

Reactions: geebaan

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
That was such an illuminating interview. Just reminds me how far we've fallen unfortunately. Here is the last segment.

Can’t disagree with anything Jason wrote about that season

John wanted to live in Point Roberts for tax reason, impacted the job on occasion. Built him a murphy bed so he could stay over at the rink on occasion. Doesn’t think John was invested in the team and where it was going at any point.

Manny suffered a catastrophic eye injury. Flew him to New York to get the best eye surgeon possible. Manny went through the rigours to get healthy, had a young family, concerned about his safety and health. Knew he couldn’t see certain things. Certain plays where Raffi could have clocked him, and he missed on purpose. Thought he was at severe risk, and didn’t want that and was uncomfortable with that.

My relationship with other GMS was great, got along with all of them, and played with all of them. Heard about it, and took great issue with it. Highly competitive business, everyones trying to get an edge, treated highly respectively, treated everyone respectively, no issues with other managers.

Couple opportunities for Luongo to be a Leaf

Way trade deadline works, you frame the trade way ahead of the deadline. Wait as long as possible to get a better offer. Don’t want to preempt the market. At the mercy of the teams who are moving players out. Teams always trying to extract the most value.

Thanks all the people who he worked with at the Canucks. Thought they were dedicated, hard working, and wanted to thank them cause he never had the chance before. His success was there success and vice versa. Everyone was on board, and can’t thank they enough.

Hated how media painted them as evil and worst Canucks in history. Know what we did in the community, and its more than just the superficial stuff, and didn’t enjoy that.

Reactions: nuck luck

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Was there a single player that Gillis drafted or traded for who formed the nucleus of those President Trophy winning teams? Weren't the Sedins; Luongo, Kesler, Edler and Burrows already there when he arrived? If Gillis could have made one impact trade or drafted another two or three key pieces, the Sedins and Luongo would have hoisted the Cup at least twice each.

Are you kidding me?

Ehrhoff trade, MASSIVE.
Hamhuis signing, MASSIVE.
Samuelsson signing, very important.
Sundin/Demitra signings, extremely important for Sedins and Kesler's emergence.
Getting the Sedin's re-signed long term.
Getting Luongo's cap hit down to $5.3 to get the flexibility to compete.
Picking up Torres, Lapierre, Higgins for the run.
Siging Malholtra, MASSIVE.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Ehrhoff? Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Higgins? Malhotra?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Without posting the whole article.. can anyone here touch on some key points on what Jason said in that article that Gillis says he agrees with?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pretty much knew that. Just wanted to hear him say it. How many coaches can a GM fire? The guy after AV, if he’s not the answer then the GM is out too. So, didn’t seem like Torts was the guy Gillis would hitch his wagon to.

Makes you wonder why if everything was going well that ownership would change things. Was it cause Gillis said the end of the line is coming for this group and we need to change? We won’t be this good until we can fix the scouting and player development?

I'm pretty sure that's the time when the "Boston model" was becoming an acclaimed style of playing and Gillis refused to build a team in that manner. He has always wanted to build a fast, high-transition hockey team which funny enough, is how the NHL is played today now.

Seriously, I hope Aquilini listened to that interview, swallows his pride, calls Gillis to apologize and hire him as the President of this team.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Now THAT is an NHL executive. Excellent interview full of insight and professional introspection, admission of mistakes and acknowledgement of where he can be better. I loved Gillis to start, but over his time with the Canucks he started to get too haughty and belligerent...I think he has learned and evolved...he sounds like a man who is ready to step back into the ranks of the employed in the NHL.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Without posting the whole article.. can anyone here touch on some key points on what Jason said in that article that Gillis says he agrees with?
It was all surrounding Torts. Ownership threatening legal action if people accused them of hiring Torts, Torts not being fully invested in the team, Torts charging the Flames dressing room, Luongo waiting years to play in an outdoor game and "fussed over all details for months, making sure he had the right equipment to match the special uniforms. He regularly talked openly about how much this game meant to him" and then he was benched for the backup.

Reactions: timw33 and Peen

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gillis once again confirming he wanted to rebuild before being fired and had trades on the table which would have changed the landscape of the team.
Interesting to speculate on who.

Kesler for sure.
Edler was rumored but would he have waived.

the guys with value would have been Schneider who he traded, Luongo same, Burrows Hamhuis Bieksa......who else? i dont think the twins were going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad