Gillis Interview(post game)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Nuckles, Oct 8, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Nuckles

Nuckles Bleed Assets E'ryday

Edit: IF YOU MISSED THE GILLIS INTERVIEW YOU CAN LISTEN TO IT HERE

Part 1: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/sekeres-price-october-10-hour-2-1.1189510
    Part 2: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/sekeres-price-october-10-hour-3-1.1189527

I highly recommend checking it out. It's really ****ing good.

Summary:

Should be good

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia
    I wonder what truths will come out and what he will be political about and just try to be diplomatic.

Have to listen to that podcast when it comes out.

Peter10 likes this.
  3. rypper

rypper EhlersPetterssonPastrnak

I hope he speaks freely (as much as possible) and gives some real insight into his time as Vancouver's GM.

geebaan likes this.
  4. Peen

Peen Dim Jim

Hooooooo momma.

Excited.

5. LordBacon

LordBacon Registered User

Dis gon be gud :)
    Let me grab some popcorn

6. WinterEmpire

WinterEmpire Unregistered User

I doubt he will throw anyone under the bus. I bet he's looking at that Seattle job opening

7. Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit Registered User

CS
    Gillis running the show in Seattle and wrecking Vancouver's **** is exactly what would happen to this franchise.

8. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

Oh hell yes :popcorn:

9. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

The only answers I’m curious about that I hope he can answer are:

1) who made the decision to bring in Torts for an interview?
    2) why extend the twins in late 2013 rather than ride it out since they were 33 and unlikely to leave so long as the Canucks gave them fair offers? Cause by the tdl Lu asked for a trade and so did Kesler. Due to the disappointing 1st round exits in 2012 and 2013. Why not see if something other than a coaching change was needed. Once they locked in the twins seemed ownership wouldn’t think of a rebuild.
    3) during that 13-14 season and off season prior what did he want to do with the roster?
    4) in hindsight what happened with the drafting and player development? In 6 drafts only Bo, connoghton, Hutton started the season on an NHL roster?

10. Burke's Evil Spirit

CS
    I actually wonder if Horvat's future is on the wing. He's more of a north south player, and doesn't have the creativity/distribution you'd like to see from a high end center.

11. F A N

F A N Registered User

I would love to hear Gillis answer your questions. But I think most of your questions aren't hard to answer.

1) In terms of pedigree and resume, Torts was one of the best coaches available. Unless you concluded that Torts' personality and system (a system that he won't change) isn't the right fit, he should get an interview. He got fired after losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs. With a Cup victory on his resume, there's no issue with giving him an interview. Hiring him is another mater given his personality, the system that he ran, and his reluctance to live in Vancouver. What I want to know is whether Stevens was Gillis choice or was it really Torts.

2) There was really no way to replace the Sedins on the UFA market. Realistically, could we have replaced the Sedins on the UFA market the past 4 years? I don't think so. At the time they signed their extension, the Sedins were coming off a season where they were still point per game players. A dropoff is expected but they were still productive players. Their worth to the Canucks' franchise of course is pretty much unmatched. Besides, the Sedins weren't the type to hold the Canucks over the barrel. Their contract wasn't subject to any recapture penalties. If they think it's time to hang up their skates they would as they did. Henrik retired coming off a 50 plus point season and Daniel coming off a 23 goal 55 point season. The Canucks would have signed them to another year and they wouldn't come much cheaper than $6M.

3) That is an interesting question. I would like to know too.

4) I think Gilman kind of spoke to this. They took too long to make changes. In reality, I don't think there was much they would have done to improve things. I suspect Gillis would admit to chasing goal posts and I think that is the biggest problem. There were drafts where they were focused on size and there were drafts where they were focused on overagers. Not much consistency in terms of players they looked for at the draft.

Canucks1096 likes this.
  12. racerjoe

racerjoe Registered User

I drive an Olympia

I am probably going to miss the live version of this as I have some meetings this afternoon, if someone can post some of the quotes, I would be forever grateful. Plan to still try and listen to the podcast version sometime thursday. Thanks!

13. geebaan

geebaan 7th round busted

Wow, I miss Mike Gillis so freaking much. So articulate, so much self reflection. We ****ed up.

14. Nuckles

**** I missed the first 10 minutes

Gillis already said he regrets not changing up the scouting department sooner.

LickTheEnvelope, geebaan and timw33 like this.
  15. Burke's Evil Spirit

CS
    Gillis already had one subtle swipe at Benning with his "I ran a meritocracy" remark.

16. Nuckles

lol, straight up saying that the GM really only has influence on the 1st pick in the draft.

17. cookiefest

cookiefest nothing matters anyway.

He sounds like he wants to be back in the game.

Peen likes this.
  18. Peen

Peen Dim Jim

Also seems like a man who's aware of what worked and what failed during his tenure here.

timw33 likes this.
  19. timw33

timw33 Registered User

20. Nuckles

It's so refreshing to listen to someone who isn't a complete bumbling idiot and is aware of mistakes he made.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  21. geebaan

geebaan 7th round busted

I am making notes as they go, will post a giant list when its done lol

22. timw33

timw33 Registered User

What a breath of fresh air to listen to Gillis talk.

23. geebaan

geebaan 7th round busted

K I'll post what was said so far, otherwise this is gonna be too long lol.

Role would have to be the right role, not as much dealing with the media. Would be overseeing, educating, creating an organization that appreciates science and technology

Biggest regret the young people who passed away, Rypien, Bourdon, Taylor Pyatts wife, Demitra.

Biggest regret in hockey was not changing the scouting staff early enough. Thought they could work it out, wanted to evaluate it properly, came to the conclusion to late that wasn’t the case. Process of how draft was finally formulated well with Eric Crawford put in charge. The first pick you have a lot of influence over, the rest of the picks are done by the scouting staff. People think that we are in charge of it all, but that isn’t the case at all.

Liked the Hodgson pick, Pat Quinn gave glowing report, but things happened after we selected him that hindered his progress, and our opinion of him. Rightly or wrongly, we came to the conclusion we had to move him, lots of factors in the decision. We wanted a bigger, faster, stronger player for Hodgson. Knew there where problems with Zac, but teams knew there was problems with Hodgson

We built a team that was around speed, skill, and a defence on fast transition. We got surprised in the finals by how the officiating went. There was police in the building. Contrarty to popular belief, they didn’t want to build the team differently after the finals.

the plan if he hadn’t left in 2014 to ownership. Team wasn’t going in the direction I wanted. Players drop off dramatically, that was built in a certain way, and still wanted to play that way. High tempo, high skill, fast transitional play.

We wanted to win hockey games. Felt the best way to win games was not be in the penalty box. Had to find the balance with physicality. A lot of people misinterpreted what happened in the finals. Should have won the cup with no problem, Malhotra/Kesler hurt was a huge loss, among others. Ran into the wrong team at the wrong time with too many injuries.

Don’t think I handled the media properly, would have handled it very differently. Not take things as personally.

24. Peen

Peen Dim Jim

When they know the whole market is tuning in so they play 8 minutes straight of ads :eek:

25. Peen

Peen Dim Jim

Paraphrasing but - "I don't watch the canucks. I find other teams more entertaining."

lol