Gilles Meloche likely to step down as goaltending coach

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I was excited about Zatkoff, but given how Zatkoff lived up to his Monarchs reputation this season - great in the regular season, terrible in the playoffs - I'm not sure if he's got much of a future in the NHL, especially not as a potential starter.

I would prefer to see how he looks at the NHL first. I don't put much stock in a handful of AHL playoff games when teams get notoriously stacked (WBS being a glaring exception), unless you also think Thiessen is the next NHL Vezina candidate? If Zatkoff doesn't work, the possibility is there to try Hartzell the next year. If something better comes along the way, go with that. Again, it's not worth getting bent out of shape for because we already have a starting goalie and there won't be as much pressure on the backup since Vokoun isn't a 5x 5x 5x 5x 5x proven playoff liability.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
This is the equivalent to firing a special teams coach in the NFL.

It's a scape goat move. I doubt very much Meloche at any time told Fleury to play pucks off the boards by jumping out of his net & facing the wrong direction.

Fleury just does not want to put the work in. He'll stick with this "If I'm having fun I'm playing well" crap. If he would put half the time into positioning that Vokoun did he wouldn't be here. I remember an article coming out about Fleury goofing around at practice after a big loss in which he played horrible. Let him have fun with another team. He's got no focus.

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
This is the equivalent to firing a special teams coach in the NFL.

It's a scape goat move. I doubt very much Meloche at any time told Fleury to play pucks off the boards by jumping out of his net & facing the wrong direction.

Fleury just does not want to put the work in. He'll stick with this "If I'm having fun I'm playing well" crap. If he would put half the time into positioning that Vokoun did he wouldn't be here. I remember an article coming out about Fleury goofing around at practice after a big loss in which he played horrible. Let him have fun with another team. He's got no focus.

The practice structure seemed to be non existent. Look at the optional skates and the lets **** around lines. I have a feeling the whole practice was generally nothing but a ******** session.

Flower isn't w/o blame but there is more here than the guy has no focus. He has no fundamentals to fall back on or seems to forget them and start floppin. At some point coaching should have focused on this. I didn't see one word/report on fixing Fleury's fundamentals.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Any word on if Meloche is full time or if the position will be full time next year?

I really hope that if the Penguins draft another goalie he's out of the NCAA so the Penguins can't **** up his development.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 25m
Gilles Meloche won't return has the Penguins goalie coach. He knew it was his last season. He'll do some pro scouting for the team. #RDS

Well it's been made official, although he's still going to be a part of the organization. Let the dominoes fall... please?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 25m
Gilles Meloche won't return has the Penguins goalie coach. He knew it was his last season. He'll do some pro scouting for the team. #RDS

Well it's been made official, although he's still going to be a part of the organization. Let the dominoes fall... please?
Doubtful. Maybe they consider a goaltender´s situation solved after this lateral move.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope they dont think Fleury will be magically better only because of this. I really want Fleury gone, we cant gamble yet another year that he may o may not break down during the play-offs.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I hope they dont think Fleury will be magically better only because of this. I really want Fleury gone, we cant gamble yet another year that he may o may not break down during the play-offs.

And if a coaching change turns him into a Vezina and/or Conn Smythe calibre performer, then what?

I feel like people seriously underestimate the impact coaching can have on a goaltender, even in the NHL...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And if a coaching change turns him into a Vezina and/or Conn Smythe calibre performer, then what?

I feel like people seriously underestimate the impact coaching can have on a goaltender, even in the NHL...

I still don't know how much Fleury can be helped at this stage in his career. Though I don't really think it's ever too late to turn around. Here's an interesting tidbit involving Price in Montreal that sort of draws some interesting parallels, though:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425170

Of particular interest:

"Carey hasn't stopped deteriorating since I left. He's all over the place now," said Melanson in a report posted Monday. "At some point, there has to be some accountability in the school yard. The position requires a lot of work and Carey hasn't been consistent. He let things slide in practice and it caught up to him during games."

Hmmmm... requires a lot of work, huh? Like... so... showing up (if you want) to practice after an embarrassing performance and doing jumping jacks during Mustache Boy doesn't count, or... ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad