Gilles Meloche likely to step down as goaltending coach

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
If there is even such a thing as a "famous goalie coach", Francois Allaire has been without a job since last year. The guy coached Roy and Giguere, and most recently Reimer. Not sure how well he'd work with Fleury since Allaire is of the "put on the biggest gear and stick to the butterfly" school but he's got a very good reputation overall.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The more I think about it the more I believe Meloche stepping down might be evidence to suggest Fleury *isn't* staying. Since Meloche was originally brought in just for Fleury, as a fellow French-Canadian goaltender that was noted in his career for his mental toughness and his ability to shake bad goals. Who knows though.

IDK, I think it's more indicative of giving it one last go with Fleury. Meloche didn't help him, but maybe someone else could;one last push with a different approach. Completely giving up on Fleury seems to be a tough pill for this organization to swallow. I hope you're right though...

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
If there is even such a thing as a "famous goalie coach", Francois Allaire has been without a job since last year. The guy coached Roy and Giguere, and most recently Reimer. Not sure how well he'd work with Fleury since Allaire is of the "put on the biggest gear and stick to the butterfly" school but he's got a very good reputation overall.

he's already been hired by Colorado. here's the Hfboards thread. Roy, Giguere and Allaire in one organization. if those three can't turn Varlamov into a stud...

Nordekes

Feb 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Unfortunately they just missed the chance to hire Francois Allaire...who just joined the Avalanche organization the other day.

I wish Gilles the best. He's a good guy, but a fresh voice is needed

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Cool. I'm confused about those two being bought out last off-season then. Because they both definitely were.

a special exception was made for those two so they could actually play this season. so the Habs and Rags have both already used one of their buyouts.

NHL and NHLPA have agreed to open another window for compliance buyouts on contracts — one that begins now, ends before Jan. 19…and comes with a wrinkle regarding cap hits.

Teams utilizing the “accelerated cap buyout” will take their player’s entire cap hit for the 2013 season, even if the player signs with another team as a UFA.

For future seasons, the cap hit would come off the books.

This ruling is in response to situations the Rangers and Canadiens found themselves in with Redden and Gomez, respectively.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...n-gomez-can-be-bought-out-now/comment-page-1/

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Good.

Fleury has elite-level talent, and has done well in the playoffs in the past at a fairly young age. What went wrong, why has he regressed so badly? Can't all be coaching but clearly it hasn't helped him much either. How did he go from a guy who closed the door on the Red Wings in games 6 and 7 after being blown out in game 5 and beaten by the same team the year before, to what he is now? A guy who crumples and allows goals at the worse possible times. It's ridiculous, he is embarrassingly bad now come playoff time. It's like his brain got replaced with Erik Christensen's.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This isn't a dramatic change in the grand scheme of things, but it could prove to be very beneficial.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The more I think about it the more I believe Meloche stepping down might be evidence to suggest Fleury *isn't* staying. Since Meloche was originally brought in just for Fleury, as a fellow French-Canadian goaltender that was noted in his career for his mental toughness and his ability to shake bad goals. Who knows though.

I hope you're right. I could see the opposite logic / excuse being made by Bylsma, if he stays.

I used to think he needed a new coach but IMO the problem with Fleury is all between the ears. No coach is going to make him mentally tough. Not once you get past high school / college, anyway.

BTW All: I read somewhere today that each team has TWO buyouts they can use before the start of the 2014-2015 season. I thought it was only one but apparently it's two? Bodes well for us. We can buy out Fleury if needed and still have one left.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
so whats the excuse going to be when fleury delivers another historically bad playoff performance next season?

dude is mentally weak and no goalie coach can fix that.

he absolutely does NOT deserve another chance. its total bs if fleury is still on this team next season.

Agreed. The time to try this, if there ever was one, was after the Montreal series. Two more total meltdowns and another series where he was awful in 3/7 games is way too late to be trying stuff like this. They've "rebuilt" Fleury at least twice that I can recall as a professional. It didn't work those times, it won't work now.

I have no memory of any goaltender anywhere who had so many excuses and exceptions made for him...who was treated with kid gloves like this for so long and had future success.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Unfortunately they just missed the chance to hire Francois Allaire...who just joined the Avalanche organization the other day.

Don't think that would have been an actual opportunity. Francois Allaire didn't go to Colorado so much as he went to work for his 27 year associate, one Patrick Roy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bylsma seems so delusional, I don't know if I can watch this team play if he's still coach. I'd need to boycott watching them.

I like how Meloche's likely replacement is Mike Bales, a guy that's been a goaltending coach in the AHL for all of 2yrs. Just what Fleury needs, an inexperienced goaltending coach that hasn't really done much with the AHL guys. Brilliant.

Right, this team is so moronically managed.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I actually think Fleury could turn it around and be a top tier goalie with a new coach and possibly a sports psychologist. It's a big risk though and don't know if Shero will bet the immediate future of this club on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad