Gilles Meloche likely to step down as goaltending coach

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Gilles Meloche is expected to formally request his resignation this week.

Meloche, goaltending coach for the past seven seasons, will inform general manager Ray Shero this week of plans to resign. He is expected to take another role — perhaps as a professional scout — with the Penguins, with whom he has spent 27 seasons. Meloche, 62, wants to spend more time in his native Montreal.

Mike Bales, 40, is the leading candidate to replace Meloche. Bales has spent the past two seasons as goaltending coach at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, the Penguins' AHL affiliate. He has worked closely with player-development coach Bill Guerin, who over the past year has emerged as a leading voice among Shero's hockey operations staff.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4164503-74/fleury-coach-penguins

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
This was probably overdue.

Partnering this with Bylsma's support of Fleury today, I imagine the Pens will keep him around this season and see if a new goalie coach makes any difference. If things don't improve dramatically, then you still have the buyout option next summer just before any potential extensions to Malkin or Letang kick in.

I doubt that's exactly what people around here want to hear, but it sounds more and more like that's what the plan is.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
while i'm not too upset about him stepping down, i wish him luck with the rest of his endeavors and thank him for his time here.

i'm not very thrilled about the Pens once again promoting coaches from within, though. can they not be bothered to research available coaches?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I was wondering if he'd go for the gold watch this year or next. Although, I guess scouting wouldn't really be retirement. Still, a graceful exit.

::EDIT::

domaug ... I hear Barasso is available :sarcasm:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
so whats the excuse going to be when fleury delivers another historically bad playoff performance next season?

dude is mentally weak and no goalie coach can fix that.

he absolutely does NOT deserve another chance. its total bs if fleury is still on this team next season.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
so whats the excuse going to be when fleury delivers another historically bad playoff performance next season?

he absolutely does NOT deserve another chance. its total bs if fleury is still on this team next season.

I agree. Hope the next goalie coach is strictly just a goalie coach though. Sports psycologist(sp) should be Fleury's main focus if he wants a future here. Maybe a few years time off will help his game? he will be 30 but his cap wont be effecting us i don't think, then we can sign a goalie to short term.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
There's no way I want to see MAF in a Pens uniform next season. What's going to be the next excuse for his play? He's has been consistently average in the regular season for basically his entire career and is the worst playoff goalie in the league. People are seriously okay with this guy making 5 mil for that kind of production? MAF has 5 straight sub .900 sv% series (actually 6 if you want to count his terrible 2 period game in Game 3 vs Boston). For the past few seasons, there's been so much baloney like "the Pens's style of play makes MAF face super shots, that's why he can't crack .900 Sv%", "He makes big saves when they count" (nope), etc. Well, behind the same cast and coach, Vokoun had a 2.01 GAA and .933 Sv%. Maybe, just maybe MAF isn't very good.

There's no good argument to bring him back. You can replace his production extremely easily. Seriously, guys that can provide league-average goaltending and horrific postseason play are a dime a dozen. Actually, there's a good chance that whoever took his spot would be an upgrade since they likely wouldn't meltdown in the playoffs at every chance. And if he's back, he's going to be the number 1. It'll be the same deal heading into the playoffs, except maybe Vokoun won't be able to bail him out against the 8 seed again.

It makes no sense to keep a guy like that around for the amount he makes and the quality of play he provides. The idea of him and DB both being back is just too much for me. It's like there's zero accountability if that situation plays out. I'm probably going to bust a blood vessel typing this.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That first clip "stay on your skates...stay on your skates" is exactly what Fleury needed to hear. Damn... all he had to do was play old reruns of himself in this guys ears, Fleury that is.

Very over do.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005

You can probably start planning your outrage now. I really think that's the route they're going.

On Vinyl

Oh Danny Boy
Jul 5, 2010
IAVDBTR
You can probably start planning your outrage now. I really think that's the route they're going.

I wish I had the kind of standing at my job that MAF has with the Pens. Completely fail when it counts the most for the last four years, and keep getting undisputed votes of confidence from my superiors.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
while i'm not too upset about him stepping down, i wish him luck with the rest of his endeavors and thank him for his time here.

i'm not very thrilled about the Pens once again promoting coaches from within, though. can they not be bothered to research available coaches?

Goalie coaches don't bounce around like head coaches or assistants do. Guys like Sean Burke, Mitch Korn and Jim Corsi have ties to their cities and generally live there year-round.

I have to assume Bales was brought in with the mindset that he'd eventually move to an NHL job.

I still hope that Fleury is dealt, because his issues are beyond coaching IMO. Hopefully this isn't the organization acknowledging that Fleury just needs different/better coaching. I don't think they'd be that stupid.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The more I think about it the more I believe Meloche stepping down might be evidence to suggest Fleury *isn't* staying. Since Meloche was originally brought in just for Fleury, as a fellow French-Canadian goaltender that was noted in his career for his mental toughness and his ability to shake bad goals. Who knows though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This was probably overdue.

Partnering this with Bylsma's support of Fleury today, I imagine the Pens will keep him around this season and see if a new goalie coach makes any difference. If things don't improve dramatically, then you still have the buyout option next summer just before any potential extensions to Malkin or Letang kick in.

I doubt that's exactly what people around here want to hear, but it sounds more and more like that's what the plan is.

not without the cap penalties. the compliance buyouts are only this and last offseason I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad