Post-Game Talk: Gilbert longs for Edmonton. Habs lose 4-3

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
It's easy to get more distracted, to party more, to have less adrenaline flowing and to lose focus when you play a "bad" team. For a team whose bread and butter is hard play all the time, it's like a death sentence.

That's why they lose to bad teams and win against better teams. These are players wearing the Habs jersey not robots.

I think their bread and butter is getting outplayed and bailed out by their goalie.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
You say definitely, but I can't see how much of Lander's right skate may or may not still be touching the line in that picture.

His leg isn't stretched out that far and he's picking up speed, as you can tell in the video, plus you could see it on the other angle when they showed it on TV as well. Anyway, these things happen...Just wanted to point it out, because the play could have easily been blown dead though. It just goes to show how just an inch or a call here or there can make a big difference.

It's hard not to blame Plekanec for that terrible attempt at the open net at the end (plus his hand-on-puck penalty with 3 minutes to go); even the smartest players can get brain cramps, apparently.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It's hard not to blame Plekanec for that terrible attempt at the open net at the end (plus his hand-on-puck penalty with 3 minutes to go); even the smartest players can get brain cramps, apparently.

A lot of flak for not passing it to Prust instead, but it seems to me that putting the puck on Prust's stick is an equally low chance opportunity. Probably should have shot it earlier, before Klefbom had the angle, since Prust could have been first on the puck after a possible missed shot and he was already over the red line, but that's how she goes. Our whole team has handled empty net opportunities pretty poorly this year.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
A lot of flak for not passing it to Prust instead, but it seems to me that putting the puck on Prust's stick is an equally low chance opportunity. Probably should have shot it earlier, before Klefbom had the angle, since Prust could have been first on the puck after a possible missed shot and he was already over the red line, but that's how she goes. Our whole team has handled empty net opportunities pretty poorly this year.

Yep, or faked a few shots, knowing that Klefbom is, gasp!, not a goalie and all. But yeah, it happens, and Pleks has been incredible all year. I still firmly believe that a team that plays up to level of (and beats) most of the top opponents in the league can afford to have a few stinkers and play down to the worst.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Desharnis inexplicably wins 3rd star of the Week, followed by a flukey OT goal that nets him a flukey first star and he thinks he can rest on his laurels again.

What bothers me most about 2014-15 Desharnais is that he truly thinks he doesn't have to work hard, especially defensively...he basket hangs..and he's a 10-15 goal scorer..not many of them in the league..but apparently this is attractive to Therrien..that along with him being 5-6 I suppose. You could see that goal a mile away if you were watching Desharnais..he cheated from beginning to the end of that shift defensively. The only time he will get involved physically (ie lets someone hit him) is when he is hopelessly caught up ice and it will give him an excuse to fall and not have to skate back hard because there is no use with him already being three lines behind the play...usually at that point he heads to the bench.

It's like a broken record with him..and because he has fluked out a couple of times in OT with goals even he didn't think would somehow cross the goal line...no accountability...while the rumours swirl that Eller is a trading piece. Oh joy..trade Eller for a winger and keep DD as a top two center under the Therrien pet system.

Bergevin's moves over the next three weeks may be pivotal to this team's future success or failure.

If Desharnais is still a top two center in mid March I wouldn't be planning the parade this spring.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
MT's comment on only having 4 skaters out there instead of 5 for about 20 seconds last night was miscommunication on the bench. The entire team was bad top to bottom last night.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Desharnis inexplicably wins 3rd star of the Week, followed by a flukey OT goal that nets him a flukey first star and he thinks he can rest on his laurels again.

What bothers me most about 2014-15 Desharnais is that he truly thinks he doesn't have to work hard, especially defensively...he basket hangs..and he's a 10-15 goal scorer..not many of them in the league..but apparently this is attractive to Therrien..that along with him being 5-6 I suppose. You could see that goal a mile away if you were watching Desharnais..he cheated from beginning to the end of that shift defensively. The only time he will get involved physically (ie lets someone hit him) is when he is hopelessly caught up ice and it will give him an excuse to fall and not have to skate back hard because there is no use with him already being three lines behind the play...usually at that point he heads to the bench.

It's like a broken record with him..and because he has fluked out a couple of times in OT with goals even he didn't think would somehow cross the goal line...no accountability...while the rumours swirl that Eller is a trading piece. Oh joy..trade Eller for a winger and keep DD as a top two center under the Therrien pet system.

Bergevin's moves over the next three weeks may be pivotal to this team's future success or failure.

If Desharnais is still a top two center in mid March I wouldn't be planning the parade this spring.

Hey Grant, good to have you back, it's been a while since I've seen you post.

I won't disagree with your above comments. As for DD, I'm trying to just accept it for what it is, as much I don't like it.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Yep, or faked a few shots, knowing that Klefbom is, gasp!, not a goalie and all.

A lot of credit to Klefbom, actually, who never left his feet to block it, and never left Prust wide open in the process. In hindsight, a fake or a change in pace might have opened up a better opportunity (I think they had a bit of time before the 1st back-checker would have been on them), but that's hockey for you. Best bet was to shoot it earlier, imo, but as it developed further, if Prust uses the open ice to make himself a better passing option (instead of skating a line that would have required a saucer pass anyway), it could have been different too.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lost the girl of my dreams because I got caught up in **** that didn't matter and didn't give her the attention she deserved. Now she's on a flight to Ontario to spend the week end with a guy from her work who moved out there and was her 'ear' to talk about our relationship. He snaked her from me and used her anxiety/vulnerability to build up her doubt in me. So now she's a wreck after all the work we did together to be strong and defeat her anxiety and he's praying on it to get what he wants. I didn't even get a second chance to fix all the things I was doing wrong that I could easily fix now that I see them for what they are.

Life is too short. There are way more important things in it than to be mad over a game. Enjoy it. I wish I was back in a place where it mattered a lot to me. Sorry for the depressing post lol

We are with you man. Can't lie and can't say I know what you're feeling, actually married my first real love and is with her for 25 years now. But pain is still pain and only time will appease it. Yet....nothing is done. You never know how things could worked out to be. She will see what the guy is up to at one point....Time will dictate then the appropriate actions to take or if it would just not take care of itself.

As far as this game of hockey we love and adore, yep, it is just that. And somehow, we probably get way too emotional over it yet, for some, it's also a way to deal with other things they have to deal with. And if venting over DD means not doing some stupidity elsewhere...might as well be it. Good luck man.....keep posting. Your presence in here is important.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Bergevin moves? Based on your analysis...isn't there just one move to make? Replace Therrien? As far as DD work...there is a thread for that. Yet, it wasn't flukey after flukey. But sometimes hate blinds reality. Trading Eller without getting something better would be a huge mistake. And it shouldn't be about having to choose between 1 or the other as both can bring totally different things....And I'm always stunned about how people now are questioning DD's dedication to his game as far as sitting on his laurels again....The guy that always had to prove something on all the levels he played in, has now lost all the character he had before that made him reach the level he reached? Hey maybe...I guess you know him more than we do. Yet, how the heck are professionnals like Bergevin, Therrien, and EVERY SINGLE GUY IN THIS LOCKER ROOM accept a guy who just keep not working, wait for his opportunities and is just not dedicated to the team? How is that possible? Aren't those guys traded at one point or just let go?

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Well said.

Keep the faith, DD's value has gone up.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I just cant beleive this is happening to us.. it literaly sucks the joy out of being a habs fan because the smart ones all know, we're going absolutely nowhere with this guy...and we just CANT get rid of him, its the worst feeling in the world. Have felt this way since the day i heard about the contract , just cant beleive were in this ****ing jam for another 2 years. very frustrating

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Reading this thread is a joke and makes me sad at the reaction of some people to a single loss. Should the Habs have won? Probably but **** happens and the team is still in first in the division now. Also amazing how people have turned on a young backup who was great in the playoffs last year and has had more good than bad games this year.

Something tells me that the ONLY reason why you think it's because of a single loss is that it's on a PGT. Yet...I think that you know that we've been often outchanced, outworked and outtalented most of the year and that Price is responsible for our record. And the frustration that gets out after a Phoenix, Buffalo or Edmoton loss is not about this "single" loss...but it's about the others losses and the significance of it on a more global scale.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
MT's comment on only having 4 skaters out there instead of 5 for about 20 seconds last night was miscommunication on the bench. The entire team was bad top to bottom last night.

Yet, while I liked Therrien comments yesterday, there' sone thing he didn't say....that he was ALSO bad himself. Not sure if we will ever hear that though....Did he say it today? Took any blame?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs and coaches did not bring their A game. Giving up 38 shots to the worst team in the league who are minus their best player is unacceptable. Not to mention this happened on home ice. Tokarski deserves better support.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I think their bread and butter is getting outplayed and bailed out by their goalie.

You are exactly right. It has nothing to do with getting up for good teams and letting down for bad teams. Before anyone gets too cocky they should realize that Edmonton is playing better hockey under their new coach. Montreal still looks like a team without a rudder, they sometimes get to where they want to be but it's totally by accident.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

Now the bolded part is a ridiculous exaggeration

You blame dd for not being physical, why the hell would he get physical? Everyone knows he wont separate any opponent from the puck dishing out a hit, the only thing he can try to do physically at his size is protect the puck, he's actually pretty good at it and it's a big part why he's able to set up plays along the boards on a regular basis. Would you hate on H.Sedin, Gaudreau or Ribeiro (notacomparison) for not being physical, you said it yourself he's 5,6 for gods sake? You also call his OT goal fluky, you're right it was a fluky goal but he still stepped up and made the play, so what's wrong? If Lars scored that fluky goal everybody here would be raving at how his big body took it to the crease and made it happen yet when it's dd it's just a fluky goal, nothing more than a fluky goal.

You wont be planning the parade if dd is still a top 2 C? I think some of you guys need to understand that it's not dd's fault is we dont have a #1 C, would you plan a parade with Pleks and Eller as 1-2 C? No right? Galchenyuk said it himself, he's more comfortable at wing for now, you would force him to play where he's not comfortable? What happens then if his development slows down, who do you blame? MT again right? IMO with a player as talented as Galchenyuk the best thing to do is to give him every opportunity to reach his offensive potential, to boost his confidence offensively so that he can become a top offensive player in the league, if the kid with elite potential walks up to me and tells me he likes it better at wing for now you can be damn sure that's where he'll play.

I'm a big Lars fan and hope to hell we dont move him because I think he can be a very good shutdown 3rd line center but he has shown very few flashes of being a top 2 C aside from the playoffs. A lot of you guys seem to think he would step up if he played with top 6 wingers but usually you're supposed to earn that, and dd did just that a couple years ago. Lars hasnt really done that, It's been 5 seasons and he still has not done anything except from one good night where he takes over every 15 or 20 game or so. It's absolutely clear to me that he's not a natural offensive threat, his vision is nonexistant and he's very predictable as he needs a **** load of space in order to make plays happen, the only thing I really like about his offensive game is that he can dominate the boards but even that does not make him a threat because he doesnt have the playmaking skills to make plays from the boards, it's also pretty clear his shot is not a threat so what's so awful about dd being played ahead of Lars in offensive situations when it's pretty clear he's a better offensive player.

I swear some of you guys are so butt hurt with dd that whenever he's succesful offensively it seems like the bashing gets even worse around here, get me a real top 2 c and I'll go dropoff dd myself to wherever we ship him to but getting rid of dd wont magically turn Lars into an offensive talent all of a sudden.

When it's clear that Chuckie's ready and he feels comfortable as a 1C is when it's going to be time to get rid of dd.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Now the bolded part is a ridiculous exaggeration

You blame dd for not being physical, why the hell would he get physical? Everyone knows he wont separate any opponent from the puck dishing out a hit, the only thing he can try to do physically at his size is protect the puck, he's actually pretty good at it and it's a big part why he's able to set up plays along the boards on a regular basis. Would you hate on H.Sedin, Gaudreau or Ribeiro (notacomparison) for not being physical, you said it yourself he's 5,6 for gods sake? You also call his OT goal fluky, you're right it was a fluky goal but he still stepped up and made the play, so what's wrong? If Lars scored that fluky goal everybody here would be raving at how his big body took it to the crease and made it happen yet when it's dd it's just a fluky goal, nothing more than a fluky goal.

You wont be planning the parade if dd is still a top 2 C? I think some of you guys need to understand that it's not dd's fault is we dont have a #1 C, would you plan a parade with Pleks and Eller as 1-2 C? No right? Galchenyuk said it himself, he's more comfortable at wing for now, you would force him to play where he's not comfortable? What happens then if his development slows down, who do you blame? MT again right? IMO with a player as talented as Galchenyuk the best thing to do is to give him every opportunity to reach his offensive potential, to boost his confidence offensively so that he can become a top offensive player in the league, if the kid with elite potential walks up to me and tells me he likes it better at wing for now you can be damn sure that's where he'll play.

I'm a big Lars fan and hope to hell we dont move him because I think he can be a very good shutdown 3rd line center but he has shown very few flashes of being a top 2 C aside from the playoffs. A lot of you guys seem to think he would step up if he played with top 6 wingers but usually you're supposed to earn that, and dd did just that a couple years ago. Lars hasnt really done that, It's been 5 seasons and he still has not done anything except from one good night where he takes over every 15 or 20 game or so. It's absolutely clear to me that he's not a natural offensive threat, his vision is nonexistant and he's very predictable as he needs a **** load of space in order to make plays happen, the only thing I really like about his offensive game is that he can dominate the boards but even that does not make him a threat because he doesnt have the playmaking skills to make plays from the boards, it's also pretty clear his shot is not a threat so what's so awful about dd being played ahead of Lars in offensive situations when it's pretty clear he's a better offensive player.

I swear some of you guys are so butt hurt with dd that whenever he's succesful offensively it seems like the bashing gets even worse around here, get me a real top 2 c and I'll go dropoff dd myself to wherever we ship him to but getting rid of dd wont magically turn Lars into an offensive talent all of a sudden.

When it's clear that Chuckie's ready and he feels comfortable as a 1C is when it's going to be time to get rid of dd.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'm also a big fan of Lars Eller and I'd really like to see him play with better offensive players and be able to produce more offensively. The thing is, so far, I don't see what he did in particular that would deserve top lines duty... As far as the DD situation goes, I don't like his overall performances this year, but through the years he's shown he's able to produce at least a little offensively, he has good vision and can dish out some nice passes often.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I just cant beleive this is happening to us.. it literaly sucks the joy out of being a habs fan because the smart ones all know, we're going absolutely nowhere with this guy...and we just CANT get rid of him, its the worst feeling in the world. Have felt this way since the day i heard about the contract , just cant beleive were in this ****ing jam for another 2 years. very frustrating

Thanks for the measured response...

Seriously, come on now. As much as we may disagree with where and how Desharnais is used, the guy has been producing and has helped us win games. Having an opinion is great, but opinions shouldn't become cement blocks that block our vision.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for the measured response...

Seriously, come on now. As much as we may disagree with where and how Desharnais is used, the guy has been producing and has helped us win games. Having an opinion is great, but opinions shouldn't become cement blocks that block our vision.

absolutely, Desharnais has won countless games for us. He is a hard working guy that may have his flaws but there is no doubt he is value added, if people could look past the fact that he is 5'7'' he would absolutely be an important piece. He has been and will be, his teammates love him and that is obvious.

The TEAM has to be an important concept in the idea of the Canadiens, not the individuals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad