Post-Game Talk: Gilbert longs for Edmonton. Habs lose 4-3

PricePkPatch*

How many of us have had a breakup with the "girl of our dreams" only to realize that she wasn't close to the right girl after all? Then we move on to find the 'real deal' and life is great. Sucks that we all have to go through that "mourning period" but it does eventually pass.

Indeed. I know it sounds weird, but many of us are often in love with the idea of a girl, not the actual human being.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thanks guys. Its really tough for me because she still loves me. She's just scared to fight for it and worried it won't ever work out. She told me half the motivation to go away this weekend is because she knows I won't forgive her for it and that it will make it easier for both of us to move on. I don't understand such thinking and believe in fighting for things that are worth it. Not running away when things get tough.
You sure it's worth it?

Think it through. Think about it from the perspective of a third party. Be cold and calculating and think about it. (I don't want an answer from you on this btw.)
This weekend is tough since she will be with this other guy who before he was in our life. Things were great. And its valentines then next week would be our anniversary. There's a lot of triggers this month and I just really really don't want things to work out with this clown and am still holding on to this stupid hope that she will have an epiphany out there and realize that our relationship is worth fighting for. That this other guy is just a snake full of empty promises.
Sometimes we make things into something bigger when they are gone. We have a tendency to romanticize the good and forget the bad. Are you sure that's not happening here? You say you didn't pay attention to her before... maybe there's a reason for that. Again, not asking for the question to be answered... just you know, thinking out loud.

Anyways, off to work. Good luck!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This thread is a combination of true confessions and comedy gold.

The Habs lost last night to a bottom feeder and didn't bother to show up for two periods. It was either sad attempts at bad jokes or a string of posts filled with expletives. I thought I'd try the former for a change.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Tokarski definitely didn't cost them the game last night, guys like Subban and Plekanec are better candidate for the goat horns, but he made it hard on his defense on a lot of occasion. The effort level of the team was terrible also. Puts MT in a tough spot, you don't want to ride Price against weak teams and you don't want to whip your players too hard against weak teams because in the big picture those teams won't even be there at playoff time and you're 1st in the East.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
How many of us have had a breakup with the "girl of our dreams" only to realize that she wasn't close to the right girl after all? Then we move on to find the 'real deal' and life is great. Sucks that we all have to go through that "mourning period" but it does eventually pass.

From experience, that's 100% fact.

Anyways, I just watched it on PVR and, damn, that's three hours of my life I'll never get back.

But I'm not worried, that's what we do usually against bottom-dwellers. MT was right, this is immaturity. Not to put this all on him, but Tokarski was the ***** also, too many saves turned into an adventure. If Price is in and plays to his standards, we win this despite the skaters playing probably their worse game of the year.

Tokarski probably felt pressure to perform against a team that could potentially offer
him a starting job. He failed his test. Maybe he was rusty from not playing for quite a while but still.

Pleks should have passed it late in the third. He had two possibilities to pass it too: Prust on his right and he also had a second man behind him.

Oh well, Toronto next, right? Price will be in, we got this.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
WTK,

I think this is the first time I agreed with Lafleurs Guy. It's great advice. I know it's hard - trust me I know what you're going through.

If it makes you feel any better I noticed you were MIA and was wondering what happened to you. I'm sure a lot people here feel the same.

Its amazing the response I've gotten from friends and family. I know I've got the greatest support system there is and that I've surrounded myself with great people. There's a lesson learned in that. Its a hard fall from being on top of the world to rock bottom.

As far as the questions of whether she was the right girl. Sure some things were tough but being with anyone every day there will be an adjustment. But I was saving money for a ring and getting ready to full time move in with her. The attention waivered while I fought with myself over cold feet and whether I wanted to stay doing what I was doing for work to give us an immediate future or to go back to school for HR management so that we could have a brighter future.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We should be happy, we must have the best record vs playoff teams in the league if we suck this bad vs bottom feeders.

In the big picture, I agree.

The guy is starting to remind of Pouliot...all hustle, no finish and trips over air all the time. Seriously. Something is wrong with his feet. Guy falls all over the ice all the time.

Not sure how you can compare Gallagher to Pouliot. They have different styles, body types and completely different levels of compete.

Gallagher falls a lot because A-he goes into traffic a lot, nobody falls being 15 feet from traffic just watching(same thing for Desharnais) B-he skates with a forward lean, so when he gets knocked off stride, he falls. I'd rather he play like that and get knocked down 8-10 times a game than play like Semin and always be on his feet...no contest.

Well, Klefbom blocked it, technically.

He had the open net a second before, by the time he shot, Klefblom was in the way. Really not a good game for #14.

Subban also looked bad on the 2nd goal, everybody out of gas and he makes a weak flip to the guy at the point, 4 seconds later it's in the net.

Oh the infamous sheltered excuse. And yet, nobody can explain how DD is actually not -100 on road games when he has to be matched with the best lines out there based on the fact that Pacioretty is on his line.

Oh and by the way.....in this 600-man league that is the NHL.....there are PLENTY of guys that are sheltered. Hey, I don't mind if you want to take that league of 30 teams into a league of 20...no problem with me, I'd actually welcome it. But until then, there's a lot of players like him in the league, players that are "sheltered", players that are rather average, grinders that have actually no offensive talent whatsoever etc.

The whole "sheltered" thing is ********. When you play with the best scorer on the team, you won't get anything easier except a better finisher on your wing. The opposing team will usually have it's best shutdown players on you, in the East that's Chara Bergeron Kronvall Datsyuk Fillipula Nielsen etc

A sheltered player is one that usually faces 3rd and 4th lines like Briere did last year and MacKinnon did a lot with Colorado(this year he hasn't and his numbers are affected).

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Its amazing the response I've gotten from friends and family. I know I've got the greatest support system there is and that I've surrounded myself with great people. There's a lesson learned in that. Its a hard fall from being on top of the world to rock bottom.

As far as the questions of whether she was the right girl. Sure some things were tough but being with anyone every day there will be an adjustment. But I was saving money for a ring and getting ready to full time move in with her. The attention waivered while I fought with myself over cold feet and whether I wanted to stay doing what I was doing for work to give us an immediate future or to go back to school for HR management so that we could have a brighter future.

WTK,

Don't beat yourself up over it. I know it's easy for me to say this to you. I'm not going through what you're going through. But I did at one time. Actually a few times.

But if she was having doubts about the relationship, be thankful it happened now and not later. It sounds like she really wants to end it. Accept her decision. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's this other guy's doing. It ain't. It's her. She's using him as an excuse. For whatever reason she wants out. Let her go.

In the long run it has nothing to do with you. The relationship ended because she wanted to end it. Find someone who wants to be with you.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Tokarski definitely didn't cost them the game last night, guys like Subban and Plekanec are better candidate for the goat horns, but he made it hard on his defense on a lot of occasion. The effort level of the team was terrible also. Puts MT in a tough spot, you don't want to ride Price against weak teams and you don't want to whip your players too hard against weak teams because in the big picture those teams won't even be there at playoff time and you're 1st in the East.

I agree that Subban and Pleks had tough games but to me the game was a microcosm of the season. When the team doesn't get absolutely outstanding goaltending it is average at best. The play of Price has masked the talent and coaching deficiencies on this team.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I agree that Subban and Pleks had tough games but to me the game was a microcosm of the season. When the team doesn't get absolutely outstanding goaltending it is average at best. The play of Price has masked the talent and coaching deficiencies on this team.

The other microcosm was playing poorly against a poor team. Aside from Price -- who obviously is a huge part of the success -- this team has a very defined storyline: Start off weak, finish strong; disorganized against bad teams, clutch against good teams.

Not happy about the loss, but this was a predictably lousy mental game. Can't win 'em all. Move on.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Reading this thread is a joke and makes me sad at the reaction of some people to a single loss. Should the Habs have won? Probably but **** happens and the team is still in first in the division now. Also amazing how people have turned on a young backup who was great in the playoffs last year and has had more good than bad games this year.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If they played against Edmonton like they did against Boston, they would have won about 5-1.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions except that they need to stop taking weak teams lightly. Price has been great, but you don't get to be the top team in the east and top 3 in the NHL on goaltending alone.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Reading this thread is a joke and makes me sad at the reaction of some people to a single loss. Should the Habs have won? Probably but **** happens and the team is still in first in the division now. Also amazing how people have turned on a young backup who was great in the playoffs last year and has had more good than bad games this year.

It's disconcerting that this team has now lost 2/2 games to Edmonton and 3/3 to Buffalo this season. Heck, throw in the loss to Arizona as well. That's 6 games lost on the season to 3 of the worst teams in the league. I don't understand how that is not cause for concern. We should be obliterating these teams given our place in the standings.

Don't really consider myself a reactionary fan and I like where the team is at, all things considered. But if you aren't even marginally concerned by those figures then you must have the disposition of the Dalai Lama

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
1 win and 3 losses to Buffalo. Tokarski was in net when we won. Price was in net for 2 of the 3 losses. Our elite goaltender obviously didn't help us against Buffalo.

True, but if I remember correctly, Tokarski got shutout against the Oilers earlier this season, and was there when we blew both leads against Arz and yesterday. So then, if whoever's in net against this kind of teams doesn't make much a difference, isn't the problem even worse?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
True say, Lafleurs Guy. The truth is we're compatible with way more people than we think, but of course when we're down after a relationship it's hard to see it that way...

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
It's disconcerting that this team has now lost 2/2 games to Edmonton and 3/3 to Buffalo this season. Heck, throw in the loss to Arizona as well. That's 6 games lost on the season to 3 of the worst teams in the league. I don't understand how that is not cause for concern. We should be obliterating these teams given our place in the standings.

Don't really consider myself a reactionary fan and I like where the team is at, all things considered. But if you aren't even marginally concerned by those figures then you must have the disposition of the Dalai Lama

We have lost 3/4 against Buffalo...your point stil stands though.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

A couple of points:

1. I wouldn't care about these losses if the Canadiens played well on most nights. But they don't. They regularly get outplayed no matter the opposition. This is concerning imo. This Oilers game is but a reflection of most of the season thus far, expect this time the Habs didn't have Price to absorb the onslaught....This brings to my second point.

2. What Tokarski did in the POs is largely irrelevant to me considering the sample size of his nhl experience prior to that. He isn't the first goalie to surprise in a short stint in the POs with little nhl experience. He hasn't been bad this season, but he hasn't been good. He's been about average in the games he's played. That being said, Tokarski playing that way shows us what happens when the Habs' goalie is just average...they struggle to win games on a consistent basis because they regularly get outplayed. Tokarski is 5-4-2 this season and he hasn't played "bad". The problem is, average isn't good enough to get this team to win because they constantly get outplayed.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A couple of points:

1. I wouldn't care about these losses if the Canadiens played well on most nights. But they don't. They regularly get outplayed no matter the opposition. This is concerning imo. This Oilers game is but a reflection of most of the season thus far, expect this time the Habs didn't have Price to absorb the onslaught....This brings to my second point.

2. What Tokarski did in the POs in largely irrelevant to me consider the sample size of his nhl experience prior to that. He isn't the first goalie to surprise in a short stint in the POs with little nhl experience. He hasn't been bad this season, but he hasn't been good. He's been about average in the games he's played. That being said, Tokarski playing that way shows us what happens when the Habs' goalie is just average...they struggle to win games on a consistent basis because they regularly get outplayed. Tokarski is 5-4-2 this season and he hasn't played "bad". The problem is, average isn't good enough to get this team to win because they constantly get outplayed.
Good post. And the bolded is the real issue.

Do I care that we've lost to Edmonton this year? Not really. I don't care that we lose to Buffalo either. The real problem is that we get outplayed way too often overall.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
If they played against Edmonton like they did against Boston, they would have won about 5-1.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions except that they need to stop taking weak teams lightly. Price has been great, but you don't get to be the top team in the east and top 3 in the NHL on goaltending alone.

Thank you. A lot of haters and our own fans keep harping this sentiment which I think is false. It is a team game and each player plays a part. We have a good core of players and you don't get to the top on goaltending alone, although Price is a great goalie to have.

Montreality

Jul 11, 2012
Montreal
Habs are 1rst in the east. Obviously the game plan is different against bottom feeders. Dont get injured, dont block shots that might hurt you ( like when theres enough space for the puck to rise or hit you in the wromg place) . To me it makes sense with 82 games in a season and youre not feeling pressure to reach a playoff spot at this point. hypothetically i'd rather go into the playoffs in 8th place with a healthy roster than in 1rst with an injured roster. Remember against Ottawa everyone was banged up and we got played

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
It's easy to get more distracted, to party more, to have less adrenaline flowing and to lose focus when you play a "bad" team. For a team whose bread and butter is hard play all the time, it's like a death sentence.

That's why they lose to bad teams and win against better teams. These are players wearing the Habs jersey not robots.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
Don't want to be *that* guy, but yeah...as I thought on the original play, the Oilers were definitely offside on the entry to the zone 3-4 seconds prior to the winning overtime goal.

Not the easiest call to make – there was probably a player in the way – but still, it was rather obvious considering how far Lander was in the zone.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Don't want to be *that* guy, but yeah...as I thought on the original play, the Oilers were definitely offside on the entry to the zone 3-4 seconds prior to the winning overtime goal.

Not the easiest call to make – there was probably a player in the way – but still, it was rather obvious considering how far Lander was in the zone.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

You say definitely, but I can't see how much of Lander's right skate may or may not still be touching the line in that picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00