Post-Game Talk: Gilbert longs for Edmonton. Habs lose 4-3

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Is it just me or Gallagher isn't playing good hockey for quiet some time. I know he hustles hard ans works his ass off, but he's been putrid with the puck for a while. We need him and other youngsters to carry us through these games against bottom feeders.

Personally I think it's okay when your best players take it easy against bottom feeders. Though the youngsters need to pick it up against said teams which hasent been the case at all this year.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
Is it just me or Gallagher isn't playing good hockey for quiet some time. I know he hustles hard ans works his ass off, but he's been putrid with the puck for a while. We need him and other youngsters to carry us through these games against bottom feeders.

Personally I think it's okay when your best players take it easy against bottom feeders. Though the youngsters need to pick it up against said teams which hasent been the case at all this year.

The guy is starting to remind of Pouliot...all hustle, no finish and trips over air all the time. Seriously. Something is wrong with his feet. Guy falls all over the ice all the time.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal

I think globally he is having a good year. On pace for a career high in points and hasn't caused any damage to the team during games from what I recall. He never was the most skilled with the puck. He needs to keep crashing the net and get the ugly goals.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The only reason he has a job in the NHL is because he's sheltered. When he's not, he's useless. There's nothing extreme about this point of view. His nickname should be Leech.

Oh the infamous sheltered excuse. And yet, nobody can explain how DD is actually not -100 on road games when he has to be matched with the best lines out there based on the fact that Pacioretty is on his line.

Oh and by the way.....in this 600-man league that is the NHL.....there are PLENTY of guys that are sheltered. Hey, I don't mind if you want to take that league of 30 teams into a league of 20...no problem with me, I'd actually welcome it. But until then, there's a lot of players like him in the league, players that are "sheltered", players that are rather average, grinders that have actually no offensive talent whatsoever etc.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh the infamous sheltered excuse. And yet, nobody can explain how DD is actually not -100 on road games when he has to be matched with the best lines out there based on the fact that Pacioretty is on his line.
Excuse for what? The guy is only productive if we shelter him. That's a fact. Unless he's in the offensive zone for every faceoff with our best players and on the PP all the time he's absolutely useless. And even with sheltering he's a 50 point player.

As for your road example, MT may not have the last change but he can put him in the offensive zone for faceoffs, still play him with Max, still play the crap out of him on the PP. When he's paired with Plek, Max will start most of his faceoffs in the defensive zone, with DD it's all in the offensive zone. YES he shelters the crap out of him. That would be fine btw, if this was some kid we were trying to help develop, but he's not. He's a 27 year old midget with marginal NHL talent who we are coddling while our 21 year old phenom plays on the 2nd line and our infinitely better centers do all the dirty work. End result is that DD gets his 50 points and the rest of the team suffers for it and our offense goes away to die.

Again, not DD's fault. I don't blame him for being David Desharnais, it'd be like being upset with a hammer for not being a saw. But I have zero problem for people who rip him for falling around all the time because it's totally stupid to use him the way we do.
Oh and by the way.....in this 600-man league that is the NHL.....there are PLENTY of guys that are sheltered. Hey, I don't mind if you want to take that league of 30 teams into a league of 20...no problem with me, I'd actually welcome it. But until then, there's a lot of players like him in the league, players that are "sheltered", players that are rather average, grinders that have actually no offensive talent whatsoever etc.
Sure. But there isn't a team out there other than us who use their 4th best center in a 1st line position consistently. You may get the odd shift here or there but nothing like we see here.

So again, I ask the question... if he's not an AHL talent then who the hell wants this guy? Who would take him off of waivers? Nobody. And it's not like this guy is making a fortune, he's relatively cheap. But other teams know this guy can only be marginally effective if you shelter the **** out of him and play him with one of the best wingers in the game. Nobody wants him because he's an AHL level talent.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is only a game why you heff to be mad
Alright what happened to you man? Out with it and tell uncle Lafleurs Guy about what's going on. Don't see you posting anymore and when you do it's telling everyone not to be upset. What happened to the poster I used to know on here?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Alright what happened to you man? Out with it and tell uncle Lafleurs Guy about what's going on. Don't see you posting anymore and when you do it's telling everyone not to be upset. What happened to the poster I used to know on here?

Lost the girl of my dreams because I got caught up in **** that didn't matter and didn't give her the attention she deserved. Now she's on a flight to Ontario to spend the week end with a guy from her work who moved out there and was her 'ear' to talk about our relationship. He snaked her from me and used her anxiety/vulnerability to build up her doubt in me. So now she's a wreck after all the work we did together to be strong and defeat her anxiety and he's praying on it to get what he wants. I didn't even get a second chance to fix all the things I was doing wrong that I could easily fix now that I see them for what they are.

Life is too short. There are way more important things in it than to be mad over a game. Enjoy it. I wish I was back in a place where it mattered a lot to me. Sorry for the depressing post lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lost the girl of my dreams because I got caught up in **** that didn't matter and didn't give her the attention she deserved. Now she's on a flight to Ontario to spend the week end with a guy from her work who moved out there and was her 'ear' to talk about our relationship. He snaked her from me and used her anxiety/vulnerability to build up her doubt in me. So now she's a wreck after all the work we did together to be strong and defeat her anxiety and he's praying on it to get what he wants. I didn't even get a second chance to fix all the things I was doing wrong that I could easily fix now that I see them for what they are.

Life is too short. There are way more important things in it than to be mad over a game. Enjoy it. I wish I was back in a place where it mattered a lot to me. Sorry for the depressing post lol
My friend, I am truly sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. Breaking up is truly hard to do. I would tell you not to dwell on it but you and I both know that is going to happen anyway.

Keep in mind two things as you think about the breakup and how you might want her back:

1. Time DOES heal all wounds. It also lends perspective.
2. She might not be the girl for you anyway. You may look back on this someday as a good thing.

Good luck!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This team wasn't 'poorly coached'. Those who say that have never coached a game in their lives. You know squat.

This team lost because it could care less about the game. Players didn't show up. No intensity. You can have the greatest hockey mind behind the bench, when players don't show up, they don't show up. No kick in the nuts is going to do it.

Tomorrow, ride them a good hard practice again, like last week after the Arizona game. It will do wonders for the game against the Laffs.

I can't stand Michel Therrien, never will. But this one is not on him, but on the players that just didn't care enough.

That's what I saw and Thomas's comment last night sealed the deal for me. The Habs showed up for the first period and the first couple of minutes of the second. When Chuckie scored the 2nd goal, the Habs were already in their cars driving home to their women.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sure. But there isn't a team out there other than us who use their 4th best center in a 1st line position consistently. You may get the odd shift here or there but nothing like we see here.

LG, geez, you are more intelligent than that. You know that despite, sometimes our differences, I respect the hell out of you....but stop while you are ahead now. You're talking about usage. Yes. He shouldn't use him that way. But it has NOTHING to do with being a AHL talent. AHL talent does not equal usage. Talks about how Therrien conducts himself as a AHL coach on that regard all you want....but DD usage does NOT make him a AHL talent.

So again, I ask the question... if he's not an AHL talent then who the hell wants this guy? Who would take him off of waivers? Nobody. And it's not like this guy is making a fortune, he's relatively cheap. But other teams know this guy can only be marginally effective if you shelter the **** out of him and play him with one of the best wingers in the game. Nobody wants him because he's an AHL level talent.

And again....that's something we know NOTHING about. Who wants him, who doesn't. What do they think he's worth. Let say 29 teams wants him.....but think he's just worth a 3rd or 4th line plugger...does that make him a AHL talent? Doesn't it still make him a NHL'er? A AHL TALENT means that as soon as he leaves the Habs, he DOES go through waivers and in the AHL to rot. I don't believe it. And there's nothing you can say that proves it as there's tons of sheltered players in the league, quite a few unidimensional players (we once thought guys like Ribeiro and lately Perreault were guys like that and somehow...they are still in the league) etc. I just hope that it's your way to provoke people more than a real assessment of his qualities of a player.

I don't think he's a top 6 player on a great team. One thing you still can't totally disregard......if the guy would have used his head more and somebody would get to him and geez threaten him that if he doesn't have at least 2 shots per game, he's going in the AHL.....you'd see a different player....with surely more points to his record. Some management might actually think that away from Pac and away from Therrien, DD might actually become a better player as he will have to shoot more as he will be ordered to do so....A DD who would have shot more than making his sometimes stupid passes would have probably meant a DD with many more points to his record. But that is also to be proven.....if he can get that through his head....and if he can or will be traded. Until then...he IS a NHL talent who is totally misused and that DOES NOT deserve to be bashed when he is actually playing better. This guy is the ONLY guy who is bashed more when he's played better as his criticisms goes from analysis of him as a player to....hate and frustration to see him rack points....

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

LG's advice is 100% right.

For what it's worth (and not to hijack this thread), I genuinely feel for you because I've been there. I'll bet 90% of the people on this board each have their own "What-if" relationship, so you have plenty of company. Meanwhile, distract yourself, write emails and don't send them, talk to people - whatever it takes to get past the worst of it. And yeah, it does get better and it'll make you better-equipped for the future relationship with the real girl of your dreams.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006

WTK - I am sorry to hear what happened. Really am - but don't blame yourself. When a relationship is "meant" to work, the small things don't tear them apart. If the complaints were valid, you take the lessons about what you could easily fix and internalize them. You will get the chance to use them. You'll find someone after this hurt goes away, and it will/

Being mad at a game is a great escape. Following a team is a way of life, but at the end of the day it is entertainment that we internalize. Last night when Plex missed the open net I got angry, when the Oilers tied it I banged my table in frustration and complained. I was angry for a few minutes but this morning I got my kids off to school. There is a way to make the Habs very important but keep perspective and keep it where it belongs as an escape.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
LG, geez, you are more intelligent than that. You know that despite, sometimes our differences, I respect the hell out of you....but stop while you are ahead now. You're talking about usage. Yes. He shouldn't use him that way. But it has NOTHING to do with being a AHL talent. AHL talent does not equal usage. Talks about how Therrien conducts himself as a AHL coach on that regard all you want....but DD usage does NOT make him a AHL talent.
I agree, his usage does not make him an AHL talent. I simply think he can't be an effective NHL player unless he's used that way. That's what makes me think of him as an AHL talent.
And again....that's something we know NOTHING about. Who wants him, who doesn't. What do they think he's worth. Let say 29 teams wants him.....but think he's just worth a 3rd or 4th line plugger...does that make him a AHL talent? Doesn't it still make him a NHL'er? A AHL TALENT means that as soon as he leaves the Habs, he DOES go through waivers and in the AHL to rot. I don't believe it. And there's nothing you can say that proves it as there's tons of sheltered players in the league, quite a few unidimensional players (we once thought guys like Ribeiro and lately Perreault were guys like that and somehow...they are still in the league) etc. I just hope that it's your way to provoke people more than a real assessment of his qualities of a player.
Can he be used as a 4th liner? I guess. Would teams invest in him as a 4th liner? I can't think of a team out there who'd really want this guy.

Maybe I should refine what I'm saying then... I wouldn't say he's not good enough to play in the NHL, he clearly is. But I don't think he'd be used in the NHL by anyone but us.

Are there AHLers who are as good as he is? I'm sure there are tons of guys in the minors who could be as good as he is. DD would be a very good AHL player but is he going to be the best in the league? I doubt it.
I don't think he's a top 6 player on a great team. One thing you still can't totally disregard......if the guy would have used his head more and somebody would get to him and geez threaten him that if he doesn't have at least 2 shots per game, he's going in the AHL.....you'd see a different player....with surely more points to his record. Some management might actually think that away from Pac and away from Therrien, DD might actually become a better player as he will have to shoot more as he will be ordered to do so....A DD who would have shot more than making his sometimes stupid passes would have probably meant a DD with many more points to his record. But that is also to be proven.....if he can get that through his head....and if he can or will be traded. Until then...he IS a NHL talent who is totally misused and that DOES NOT deserve to be bashed when he is actually playing better. This guy is the ONLY guy who is bashed more when he's played better as his criticisms goes from analysis of him as a player to....hate and frustration to see him rack points....
Okay, you win. I will refer to him as a 'marginal NHL talent' rather than AHL level going forward. It's probably a more apt description anyway. And you are correct, I can't be sure if some other team wouldn't find some use for him.

I still don't mind when people rip him on falling down though... :)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Thanks guys. Its really tough for me because she still loves me. She's just scared to fight for it and worried it won't ever work out. She told me half the motivation to go away this weekend is because she knows I won't forgive her for it and that it will make it easier for both of us to move on. I don't understand such thinking and believe in fighting for things that are worth it. Not running away when things get tough.

This weekend is tough since she will be with this other guy who before he was in our life. Things were great. And its valentines then next week would be our anniversary. There's a lot of triggers this month and I just really really don't want things to work out with this clown and am still holding on to this stupid hope that she will have an epiphany out there and realize that our relationship is worth fighting for. That this other guy is just a snake full of empty promises.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This guy is the ONLY guy who is bashed more when he's played better as his criticisms goes from analysis of him as a player to....hate and frustration to see him rack points....

Fair point. I think we allow opinions to lag behind ever-changing conditions.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
LG's advice is 100% right.

For what it's worth (and not to hijack this thread), I genuinely feel for you because I've been there. I'll bet 90% of the people on this board each have their own "What-if" relationship, so you have plenty of company. Meanwhile, distract yourself, write emails and don't send them, talk to people - whatever it takes to get past the worst of it. And yeah, it does get better and it'll make you better-equipped for the future relationship with the real girl of your dreams.
How many of us have had a breakup with the "girl of our dreams" only to realize that she wasn't close to the right girl after all? Then we move on to find the 'real deal' and life is great. Sucks that we all have to go through that "mourning period" but it does eventually pass.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

WTK,

I think this is the first time I agreed with Lafleurs Guy. It's great advice. I know it's hard - trust me I know what you're going through.

If it makes you feel any better I noticed you were MIA and was wondering what happened to you. I'm sure a lot people here feel the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00