Proposal: Gibson to the Avs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Avs don’t need Gibson. Pass. Amazing goalie. I’d love to have him but the cost to acquire makes it a Pyrrhic victory. I agree with the Ducks fans that expect a massive haul. Why else would they trade him?
Unless the Ducks had an heir apparent that was close to taking the #1 job, then there is no reason to move Gibson unless the return was great. Ducks have decent pieces coming up, but probably lack a truly high end guy. More of the same level of prospects of the caliber of Comtois, Lundestrom, Groulx, Lacombe, etc. doesn't do anything for Anaheim.

They can't put themselves in a position where they bank on the development of a 20 year old goalie prospect. that is too much of a gamble to take.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It's unlikely Newhook is even available, so not sure that is relevant.

And you think Gibson is? lol.

Quite a ridiculous statement. We aren't actually negotiation. Calling Sandin and Amirov "just decent" is objectively wrong.

Compared to Newhook they are. They are not good enough to be the main piece in the deal and if the Ducks are not getting a blue chip prospect back then why trade him at all?

Id easily include sandin with our depth on D

Sandin
Hirvonen
1st
Andersen (cap purposes)

Gibson

Pass. Same comment as above. I wouldn't trade Gibson if there is not a potential top line/top pairing guy coming back. I don't see Sandin as that.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Unless we think John Gibson is the best goalie to ever be traded, saying that he should return a top forward prospect, a top defensive prospect (that is NHL) ready, a 1st round pick AND additional assets, quite simply, unrealistic.

Absolutely would take one of, if not the greatest return ever on a goaltender to pry Gibson out of Anaheim this season. Every example of a goalie trade you're about to bring up going right back to Patrick Roy does not represent both of the following criteria:

- Undisputed elite goalie and team's franchise talent, signed long term right through his prime, to a very team friendly extension

- Absolutely no contextual reason (trade demand, two goalie logjam, impending free agency) forcing the team to accept the best offer on the table

You can't come up with a precedence for this trade without stretching or disregarding one or both of those two points. We aren't talking about a situation where a player is on the market for the best offer, you need to put enough on the table to convince the Ducks they have something better to build around than their franchise player signed long term to a team friendly contract.

Historically speaking, goalies this good simply do not get traded in their prime unless they demand to be, and that hasn't happened as far as anyone here is aware.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Id easily include sandin with our depth on D

Sandin
Hirvonen
1st
Andersen (cap purposes)

Gibson
You’re coming from the incorrect place mentally. Saying you’d easily do this deal. Dude, trading for a player of Gibsons caliber is going to hurt. It’s going to be expensive. There is nothing easy or inexpensive about acquiring elite talent via trade. It will cost significant assets and you’ll wonder if the cost was worth it. That’s where your head needs to be if you’re serious about getting this player.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Gibson is elite, but return would be low with the expansion draft. Not suggesting Gibson is not worth the proposal. Better to pursue a backup in a trade market.

AVs primary needs 3C and backup G. Newhook is the future and worth more to the AVs than value in a trade. Goalie is to ensure Grubs can rest. With some of most promising young DMen on the team, they need a good reliable instead of a all star Goalie. Backup can be easily obtained at a relatively low cost.

He would be a fantastic addition, but weakens future 3C and doesn’t solve a need for a backup.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Unless the Ducks had an heir apparent that was close to taking the #1 job, then there is no reason to move Gibson unless the return was great. Ducks have decent pieces coming up, but probably lack a truly high end guy. More of the same level of prospects of the caliber of Comtois, Lundestrom, Groulx, Lacombe, etc. doesn't do anything for Anaheim.

They can't put themselves in a position where they bank on the development of a 20 year old goalie prospect. that is too much of a gamble to take.
I have no idea why Anaheim would trade Gibson. Unless the package was beyond imagination.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
You’re coming from the incorrect place mentally. Saying you’d easily do this deal. Dude, trading for a player of Gibsons caliber is going to hurt. It’s going to be expensive. There is nothing easy or inexpensive about acquiring elite talent via trade. It will cost significant assets and you’ll wonder if the cost was worth it. That’s where your head needs to be if you’re serious about getting this player.
While I agree hes worth alot, the goalie trade market is always lower than expected compared to what position players usually go for
When was the last time a goalie of any caliber was traded for a teams top prospect, 1st rounder, a B center prospect, and a starting goalie that could probably fetch a 2nd if flipped?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Jeez so that's essentially 3 1st-round picks, and a #1 goalie.

Don't get me wrong, Gibson is absolutely elite, but idk if I would want to part with that much.
Exactly. Gibson is nice but those pieces are more valuable to the Avs especially with the cap possibly becoming an issue soon. Grubauer is good enough. I'd rather find a goalie that can back up Grubs if he gets injured than waste assets for an upgrade that slightly increases our chances. Those assets would be better served trading for a 3C and a 2/3 goalie.

Reactions: Richard88

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
EuUjd6HXMAA9CGI

Colorado is in a great spot and Grubauer is playing great right now. The last thing they need to do is spend a bunch of assets on the league's most volatile position.
Perfect summary.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Since coming to Colorado (2018-19 - today), Grubauer has the 8th best SV% in the NHL among goalies with 50+ games played at 0.918%, 9th (tied) in GAA (2.50), and 12th (tied) in SO with 7.

Can anyone please explain how this "isn't good enough"? Because until someone can explain that, I struggle to see why we're giving up 4 good pieces that will help us reload when a bunch of our secondary players become too expensive to keep.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have no idea why Anaheim would trade Gibson. Unless the package was beyond imagination.

See, this is a valid response that is understandable. Anaheim doesn’t need to trade Gibson. Done.

Seeing as it appears that a Ducks fan created this thread, open to moving him, I’m sure you can understand why there would be interest.

Cheers.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
See, this is a valid response that is understandable. Anaheim doesn’t need to trade Gibson. Done.

Seeing as it appears that a Ducks fan created this thread, open to moving him, I’m sure you can understand why there would be interest.

Cheers.
I literally said i'm opposed to trading Gibby in OP lol. I wanted to see how much value he can gauge in a hypothetical Avs trade

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not enough to trade Gibson. Replace Kaut with a 1st and it is tempting.
CO's 1st is likely to be a really late one. Odds on them turning out to be high end NHL players are not good.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As a neutral fan I'd like to see it because super teams are fun. Though it feels like Edmonton/Buffalo would beat that offer if Gibson was available.

Feels like the Avs should try to get Deslauriers as well if he's reasonably available, would give them the same heavy edge that helped Tampa a lot last year after falling flat the year before. I'd also exchange Grubauer for Francouz so Avs can platoon Gibson/Grubauer and the Ducks can tank better, then do a handshake deal in the offseason flipping them back

I would love to have him as an Oiler fan but we just don't have the depth to trade prospects for him . High end prospects are Broberg , Holloway , Samorukov and Bouchard . 2nd tier prospects Benson , Lavoie , Savoie , McLeod and Konovalov . I seen Ducks fans asking for Holloway+Broberg+1st . I would decline that offer so fast . It isn't about value it about our depth and needs . If the Avs trade for Gibson maybe we can do a 1st for Grubauer or a 1st for Kuemper

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
CO's 1st is likely to be a really late one. Odds on them turning out to be high end NHL players are not good.

This is also why the Avs need to keep their youngsters who currently project to be higher end NHL players (Newhook, Byram, Barron, Kaut, etc.). We aren't going to have a lot of opportunities to add good young prospects going forward.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is also why the Avs need to keep their youngsters who currently project to be higher end NHL players (Newhook, Byram, Barron, Kaut, etc.). We aren't going to have a lot of opportunities to add good young prospects going forward.
Yup.

Having said that( I haven't watched Grubauer enough to comment on him), Gibson is a fantastic goalie. I think he's the sort of goalie you win a cup with.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
With all the star power that Colorado has, I don't know if Gibson is necessary. Trading for some depth players might be better for them than Gibson. Gibson probably is the best goalie they could try trading for (best goalie on a non-playoff team), but the price would be painful to give up. Going out and getting a solid 1B option might be better, even if he's used as a #2 behind Grub, that gives them insurance in case of injury during the playoffs. I doubt Miller wants to move, but if he tells management he wants to chase a Cup he'd be a solid pickup. He can still play like a lower/mid end #1 for short stretches (unsure about longer) and wouldn't cost NEARLY as much (probably just a mid-round or conditional pick).

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
While I agree hes worth alot, the goalie trade market is always lower than expected compared to what position players usually go for
When was the last time a goalie of any caliber was traded for a teams top prospect, 1st rounder, a B center prospect, and a starting goalie that could probably fetch a 2nd if flipped?
When was the last time a Gibson was traded with that much term on his contract. The answer is never. There is no drama around this player. Would be another team calling Anaheim. Means Anaheim has the leverage.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If we had an expendable blue-chip prospect I think a deal could be made. But both Byram and Newhook aren't going anywhere and Anaheim doesn't need a quantity package of decent prospects + picks.

Reactions: McJedi

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If we had an expendable blue-chip prospect I think a deal could be made. But both Byram and Newhook aren't going anywhere and Anaheim doesn't need a quantity package of decent prospects + picks.
I think the argument could be make that Byram is expendable, given that Colorado would still have Toews and Girard at LHD, but the player coming back would need to be elite and fill a desperate need for the team.

As it is there are no real holes on the team where you feel that you need to trade a bluechip piece to fill. If Colorado didn't have Grubauer in net but rather something like a Francouz-Werner tandem, then yeah the upgrade in net would be huge and worth considering moving a bluechip piece for, but the upgrade from Grubauer to Gibson just isn't worth moving a bluechip for.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
With all the star power that Colorado has, I don't know if Gibson is necessary. Trading for some depth players might be better for them than Gibson. Gibson probably is the best goalie they could try trading for (best goalie on a non-playoff team), but the price would be painful to give up. Going out and getting a solid 1B option might be better, even if he's used as a #2 behind Grub, that gives them insurance in case of injury during the playoffs. I doubt Miller wants to move, but if he tells management he wants to chase a Cup he'd be a solid pickup. He can still play like a lower/mid end #1 for short stretches (unsure about longer) and wouldn't cost NEARLY as much (probably just a mid-round or conditional pick).
I agree, Miller would be a nice target as backup/3G for Colorado. I asked about his trade price on the previous page; and if a late round or conditional pick is all it costs then it's a no-brainer for Colorado.

He's already really cheap, but if Anaheim were to even retain 50% ($500k) that would make it even more feasible for Colorado to carry all three of Grubauer, Francouz, and Miller on the active roster, giving the team some nice depth in net for the playoffs.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yup.

Having said that( I haven't watched Grubauer enough to comment on him), Gibson is a fantastic goalie. I think he's the sort of goalie you win a cup with.

I agree that Gibson is a fantastic goalie. But, Grubauer is top 10 in SV% and GAA in both the regular season (50 games minimum) and the playoffs (4 games minimum) since coming to Colorado before the 2018-19 season. He would have likely led us to the WCF in 2018-19 if the refs hadn't called Landeskog for a phantom "offside" on a video review on the game tying goal in game 7 against SJ - (I still haven't seen a replay that definitively shows his left skate wasn't on the blueline).

The only knock against Grubauer was that he got injured in the playoffs. But, that was pretty much par for the course last year, and hard to blame on Gru.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Gibson on the Avs makes them the favorite for the cup not just this year, but for the next 3 years

I think you would be crazy not to consider if you’re their front office

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad