Value of: Gibson to Colorado

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Getting Gibson would probably cost the Ducks Bowen Byram, Alex Newhook and Tyson Jost. Not sure the Avs would want to do that.
That’s absurd. Even if Gibson was the bonafide #1 goalie in the world he doesn’t get that package. Goaltenders just aren’t in that level of demand. The best centre or defenseman in the world, sure. But not a goalie. Too many teams are set at that position. When you consider teams who need a goalie, are in a position to succeed now and have the cap space necessary there just aren’t enough suitors to earn that level of a return. You can only play one goalie per game.

Byram alone would be the biggest trade return ever on a goalie in the cap era.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Seriously Byram for a f***ing goalie??? Can you imagine how utterly craptastic our roster would be if some of these vocal fans were running the team, they wanted to ship out Bura AND a first too for f***ing Kreider, not to mention trying to dump Bowers and Kraut as throw ins into every trade just cause they didn't start the season out well. *shudders*

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Can the Canes get in on some of this Gibson talk? We have two firsts this year plus other futures and young players.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Yeah, can't believe an Avs fan would even mention Byram for Gibson. Look at some of the goalies that have won Cups recently.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Grubauer might not be a worldbeater but the difference between Grubauer and Gibson is not Byram. The most I'd pay is 1st, 2nd, and Grubauer.

As said above. Goaltender is not the most sought after position in trades. If the price is Byram, I'd rather chase a big name skater. But at this point the liquid assets for Colorado is picks.

Either a deal would get done with picks and Grubauer or it doesn't go at all. Which is 99.99% the likely case right now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seriously Byram for a ****ing goalie??? Can you imagine how utterly craptastic our roster would be if some of these vocal fans were running the team, they wanted to ship out Bura AND a first too for ****ing Kreider, not to mention trying to dump Bowers and Kraut as throw ins into every trade just cause they didn't start the season out well. *shudders*

If you don't enjoy trying to win a cup I hear Buffalo is looking for fans.

Reactions: ayrton2388

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
RoyIsALegend is not in the minority among Avs fans, when it comes to trusting Gru/Franky.
Gibson is holding the Ducks back from a successful rebuild.
He wins games that they need to lose, in order to get better draft picks.

100% agree with this. If there was ONE player who Anaheim has untouchable its Gibson. He’s the only reason why this team wasn’t in last place 2 seasons in a row. Without Gibson we would be competing with Redwings right now.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If I'm the Avs I probably look elsewhere to shore up my goaltending, given that Gibson is likely (and should be) one of the more untouchable goalies in the league. That being said, if they are deadset on acquiring him I bet it ends up costing something like this...

Grubauer/Francouz + Byram/Newhook + Draft Pick

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
There is no way at all. From a team perspective he is unmovable.

He is the hope for this team that this can be a retool and we can still see a competitive year or two for Getzlaf. If Gibson gets traded it would signal that we're burning the current roster to the ground and that's not a direction the owners are interested in right now.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
A 1st and a 2nd should do it

No it won’t. I don’t even know what I would trade Gibson for. This dude literally keeps Anaheim out of last in the league 2 seasons in a row. He ruins Anaheim’s draft picks almost every year single handily. And his contract is amazing.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
100% agree with this. If there was ONE player who Anaheim has untouchable its Gibson. He’s the only reason why this team wasn’t in last place 2 seasons in a row. Without Gibson we would be competing with Redwings right now.
Seems like the perfect guy to trade then for assets and to do the rebuild correctly. Staying in the mushy middle is the worst way to rebuild.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
That’s absurd. Even if Gibson was the bonafide #1 goalie in the world he doesn’t get that package. Goaltenders just aren’t in that level of demand. The best centre or defenseman in the world, sure. But not a goalie. Too many teams are set at that position. When you consider teams who need a goalie, are in a position to succeed now and have the cap space necessary there just aren’t enough suitors to earn that level of a return. You can only play one goalie per game.

Byram alone would be the biggest trade return ever on a goalie in the cap era.

You don’t understand what Gibson has done for this franchise. He’s more invaluable to the rebuilding Ducks than what you’re basing on during the cap era. We are basically shit without Gibson. We are the Redwings right now for the next 3 years.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If you don't enjoy trying to win a cup I hear Buffalo is looking for fans.

Gibson doesn't guarantee the Avs a Cup, nor is there anything to suggest that he'll definitely be better in the playoffs than the two guys we already have. In my view, adding a potential top pairing LHD on his ELC will do much more for the Avs chances of winning a Cup than maybe, potentially upgrading at G, if we're lucky.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You don’t understand what Gibson has done for this franchise. He’s more invaluable to the rebuilding Ducks than what you’re basing on during the cap era. We are basically **** without Gibson. We are the Redwings right now for the next 3 years.
That’s fine. He doesn’t have to be traded. I’m just saying what his value would be if he is traded.

If Gibson’s value is greater to Anaheim than it would be to any team he simply won’t be traded and that’s ok.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The added value from Gibson and our goalie tandem is not enough for me to trade Byram.

I also don't want to give a western conference team a young stud that will accelerate their rebuild. They can go tank for an entire year to get a Byram calibre prospect; one less competition for us.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Grubauer might not be a worldbeater but the difference between Grubauer and Gibson is not Byram. The most I'd pay is 1st, 2nd, and Grubauer.
We may need an upgrade at goalie but you hit the nail directly on the head. No interest in trading Makar's future partner on the top pair for the difference between Grubauer and Gibson.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
That’s fine. He doesn’t have to be traded. I’m just saying what his value would be if he is traded.

If Gibson’s value is greater to Anaheim than it would be to any team he simply won’t be traded and that’s ok.

Yah I can see an open market discussion on value. From your side? But it would be astronomical of a price to move him. He’s the only damn thing worth watching going to Ducks games. We sure as hell aren’t watching scoring happen. We’re watching on how many goals we lose by.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If the Avs goaltending proves to be the flaw in their run this season, I'd just as well see them look at a few guys this offseason.

Just like every offseason, players like Murray, Raanta, etc seem to end up being available. Just as the when Avs acquired Grubauer, they are in a position where taking on a 1 year cap dump to lower the cost won't hinder them much

If the cost is Byram, when I look at the longer term situation for the Avs, I'd much rather look elsewhere

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I just don't see goaltending as being the position to really invest in for a Cup run. Yeah a bad goalie can sink your chances but more often than not, average goalies get randomly hot behind a strong overall team and get their team where it needs to be. It's much more important to have X factors on offense and defense than in goal.

A goalie hasn't won a Conn Smythe since 2012, and look at how Quick is doing now. It's just too volatile a position. And while acquiring a player at any position doesn't guarantee you a Cup, I think it's especially true for goalies; Gibson can easily have a few off nights that can cost the Avs a series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad