Movies: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2020)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ok, so at the Sony presentation at CinemaCon, Jason Reitman told people to stay for the after credits scene and to not spoil it. AND THEN SCREENED THE MOVIE FOR EVERYONE IN ATTENDANCE!

John Campea and Erin Cummings who were in attendance, loved it.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Bumping this thread as it comes out this weekend.

It was not a movie that I thought I'd be seeing in theatres, but the commercials have intrigued my kids, and, looks enjoyable enough as a movie that we can all see, so, we're going to see if we can make time for it.

It looks on track for a $40M weekend or so, give or take.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The RT critic score has really taken a hit in the last month, down from 86% to 61%. After almost nothing but positive early reviews, it seems that most of the recent ones have been a lot less so. I've read some of them and they've led me to lower my expectations again. At least it still sounds like its heart is in the right place and it's respectful of the franchise.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The RT critic score has really taken a hit in the last month, down from 86% to 61%. After almost nothing but positive early reviews, it seems that most of the recent ones have been a lot less so. I've read some of them and they've led me to lower my expectations again. At least it still sounds like its heart is in the right place and it's respectful of the franchise.

On the other hand it has a 95% Audience Score after 500+ verified ratings.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It sounds like a decent movie that ends up getting derailed by fan service / references.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I saw it last night. If you're a legit Ghostbuster fan, you will walk away happy. Fan service? Definitely but I feel like this movie kinda needs it. To me, it felt very "Spielberg like" in the same vein as like E.T / Goonies, but mixed in with the Ghostbusters obviously. While it has a very "similar" story line to GB#1, it still feels different. Lots of really good moments. Critics are critics guys if it isn't a "woke" oscar-winning film nowadays, it's going to be matched with just disdain for being unoriginal. The fun police.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
On the other hand it has a 95% Audience Score after 500+ verified ratings.

I'm not surprised, since those are presumably diehard fans who went to midnight screenings last night and it's reportedly a film that leans on fan service. It'll probably go down, but that's still a good, initial sign and supports what I said about the film seeming to have its heart in the right place and be respectful of the franchise. That's probably going to be enough to make it a hit, especially after the last movie.

Last edited:

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Saw it yesterday. Picked my 6 year old up from school and took her to the 4 pm showing.

loved it. Absolutely great. Ending is a bit of a tear jerker. Some of the fan service is a little if the top every now and then (I can think of 2 parts where I was like ehhh).

Any Ghostbuster fan will walk away with loving it.

It’s a sons love letter to his father.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw it last night. If you're a legit Ghostbuster fan, you will walk away happy. Fan service? Definitely but I feel like this movie kinda needs it. To me, it felt very "Spielberg like" in the same vein as like E.T / Goonies, but mixed in with the Ghostbusters obviously. While it has a very "similar" story line to GB#1, it still feels different. Lots of really good moments. Critics are critics guys if it isn't a "woke" oscar-winning film nowadays, it's going to be matched with just disdain for being unoriginal. The fun police.
It's curious how many critics appear to be knocking it for being unoriginal when most praised the 2016 movie, which was a re-hash of the 1984 movie with females. I haven't seen this one yet, but it sounds more original than the last movie. It makes me wonder if they're really criticizing it for unoriginality or for not trying to replace the original.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Saw it yesterday. Picked my 6 year old up from school and took her to the 4 pm showing.

loved it. Absolutely great. Ending is a bit of a tear jerker. Some of the fan service is a little if the top every now and then (I can think of 2 parts where I was like ehhh).

Any Ghostbuster fan will walk away with loving it.

It’s a sons love letter to his father.

How intense are the scarier scenes? Were planning on going with our 7 and 8 year old. It feels like it's manageable for that level, but want to know what to be prepared for.

And for people complaining about critics, this movie is still being recommended by the majority of critics. It's okay if a movie doesn't have 100% consensus around it.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
How intense are the scarier scenes? Were planning on going with our 7 and 8 year old. It feels like it's manageable for that level, but want to know what to be prepared for.

And for people complaining about critics, this movie is still being recommended by the majority of critics. It's okay if a movie doesn't have 100% consensus around it.

Honestly wasn’t bad. The first 15 mins were the toughest. I feel most Ghostbuster movies open with their scariest moment.

I took her to see to Eternals 2 days before and the opening scene scared her so much we had to leave. She’s been to a ton of Marvel movies before and loves them so didn’t know Eternals would be that bad.

She came out loving it. She was already a huge ghostbuster fan though. She loves the mini marshmallow men too!

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I ended up seeing it last night. It was decent, but definitely had its flaws. As that 80s style kids adventure movie, that formula has been done better. As a Ghostbusters movie, it works, but, it leans on the orignal films a lot and doesn't bring a lot new to the style or design of the film.

But, it stays fun and light. It's nice to have a blockbuster film that feels a little smaller and personal.

Reactions: Jussi and mattihp

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
You guys are way too serious about this shit. It didn’t hurt the overall story whatsoever and it tied shit up and it had a few nice moments. I paid like $33-34 for this between ticket and a vitamin water and I feel like I got my money’s worth. No regrets. Fun night. McKenna Grace is a talent.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I loved both original movies and grew up with them and The Real Ghosbusters cartoon. Ghostbusters is in my top five favorite movies and franchises of all time. I will wait until it's on Cable etc.

We know exactly what it's going to be. The Force Awakens model which is have the same basic plot or outline as the original film with a new cast and diet the vibe, with callouts. The original cast shows up for like 10 minutes to symbolically pass the torch. The end.

Hollywood's been pulling this for almost 20 years. I'm over it.

The Ghostbusters 2009 video game was the true third movie. It takes place Thanksgiving 1991 which is just under two years from Ghostbusters II.

Extreme Ghostbusters and the comics did better jobs with universe continuity.

The original idea of passing the torch to Oscar Barrett with Winston and Ray being teachers and main characters sounded better.

Guaranteed this movie will be safe. How about a new story like Walter Peck turns to ghosts to get revenge? Or going back to the Oscar thread, he's actually the villain. Show some marbles.

Reactions: Jussi

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I thought it was funny and entertaining enough. It being a direct sequel became a weakness. Too easy to compare. The story really is paper thin.

Worth a watch though; we will also see lots of McKenna Grace.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Saw it last night. I enjoyed the ride. Yes, it was somewhat familiar, although it that wasn't really apparent until the third act. There was enough difference in the first two-thirds of the movie compared to the 1984 version (kids adjusting to their new environment, mother coming to terms with her father's abandonment, her growing relationship with Rudd's character) that it felt somewhat fresh. I would have liked to see more Rudd in the movie, but the focus was on the kids (new generation of Ghostbusters) as it should be. Considering COVID and the tighter budget for this one, it has been a moderate success financially and we should see a sequel...hopefully with very little screen time for the original cast.

McKenna Grace reminds me of Dakota Fanning from 15 years ago. Child actress that appeared in a lot of movies/tv shows. It will be interesting to see how her career develops as she enters her teen years/young adulthood. I really like Carrie Coon. Enjoyed her performances in Gone Girl, Fargo and this one. Haven't seen The Leftovers but looking forward to watching one of these days.

Ernie Hudson looks like he has barely aged in 36 years!

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Saw it today. I loved it. I'm a massive fan of the original movie and this felt like it was made for me.

McKenna Grace was incredible. Little nuanced things like not completely freaking out when she first realizes she's playing chess with a ghost and the dry Spengler humor were perfectly done.

I actually felt they spent too much time on Rudd given what his ultimate purpose was in the movie. Same with Phoebe's brother and his girlfriend. I would have preferred more time spent on Phoebe and Podcast.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Saw it today. I loved it. I'm a massive fan of the original movie and this felt like it was made for me.

McKenna Grace was incredible. Little nuanced things like not completely freaking out when she first realizes she's playing chess with a ghost and the dry Spengler humor were perfectly done.

I actually felt they spent too much time on Rudd given what his ultimate purpose was in the movie. Same with Phoebe's brother and his girlfriend. I would have preferred more time spent on Phoebe and Podcast.
Problem is that when there isn't much of a deep story... It becomes more evident if focus is on fewer characters. If there's a sequel they will likely do a better story; which will give Phoebe and Podcast more focus!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched this. Liked it a lot. But...the first half dragged like hell... On the other hand, the 3rd act was awesome. 8+ or 8½ /10. I hope they do another one with a better story and tighter directing/editing. Also, McKenna Grace is a really talented young lady. The song that plays during the credits....Decent song, terrible chorus.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad