Movies: Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2020)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I bet Murray and Akroyd are ghosts

Murray makes sense because he was spotted around Vancouver (including at a Canucks game) for over a month this Fall while the film was supposedly in post-production there. Normally, actors aren't very involved in post-production because their jobs are over at that point. If he were playing a ghost, though, he likely would've had to come to a sound stage every day for weeks during post-production to be specially filmed and motion tracked.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I bet Murray and Akroyd are ghosts

my guess is Akroyd is the unseen grandfather

so far we know confirmed to back in one form or another

Akroyd
Potts
Hudson
Weaver

Murrey is pure speculation and since he did not do anything crazy when the film was being made--me maybe added in post production

We know Rick Moranis wont be in it as he is happily retired(his wife passed away 28 years ago--at the time they had young children and Moranis stepped back to look after them and has come back to do a few quick one day things)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
my guess is Akroyd is the unseen grandfather

so far we know confirmed to back in one form or another

Akroyd
Potts
Hudson
Weaver

Murrey is pure speculation and since he did not do anything crazy when the film was being made--me maybe added in post production

We know Rick Moranis wont be in it as he is happily retired(his wife passed away 28 years ago--at the time they had young children and Moranis stepped back to look after them and has come back to do a few quick one day things)

According to the trailers, the grandfather is dead.

So my guess is the unseen grandfather is actually Egon.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess my issue with this film is that the original concept was pretty tongue in cheek.

You weren't ever really supposed to be afraid. The ghosts were sort of frightening but not really. The Keymaster, Vince Glortho, was ridiculous.

Even Gozer was comedified with "aim for the flat-top (haircut)" line and the Marshmellow Man.

Hopefully Paul Rudd can fill Bill Murray's enormous shoes to turn a fairly generic sci-fi plot into something that resonates.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm gonna see it, because I grew up with all the action figures and ruined the ribbons on my VHS tapes from watching the recorded cartoons so much. It looks really good but something is lacking that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the children doing the trapping and not the original crew, maybe it's the HD quality and modern CGI.

Not having Rick Moranis at least do a cameo to shout "ok who brought the dog?!" would be a crime.

Max Landis, though he may have turned out to be a less than quality human being (I never followed up on all the accusations) wrote the perfect script for a modern day Ghostbusters. It's out there somewhere to read still

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Looks good, but way too serious. I really hope there's a lot more comedy than that trailer shows.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'll see it. I'm curious. I like Paul Rudd and Carrie Coon. BUT I'm real skeptical. Echoing some of the points above -- just feels weird to see cornfields and not skyscrapers, seems oddly serious/emotional (certainly moreso than the source) which doesn't match the original at all. The kids joyriding in Ecto1, ugh, I hate to be a grump. Though Ghostbusters certainly had appeal for kids (I was 6 when it came out and loved it) I'm not sure I'd call it a kids movie. More kid-adjacent, kid-accepting. Outside of Slimer, the humor is more adult for sure. The initial impression I get here is that this one feels more like a kids movie. Could work. Could be fine. I dig Stranger Things too. But man .... I don't know.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I'm excited for this and should be interesting to see how they continue the story arc from GB2 to know. Pretty sure the dead grandpa is Spangler, as there is a collection of spores, molds, and fungus in the basement along with his old jumpsuits with "Spengler" on the name tag and the young girl is using the PKE meter. Excited to see how the Terror Dogs are used. Anyone notice the symmetrical bookstacking that was in the living room when the room started to shake? Or the Shandor Mining company is the area where the kids are hanging out near the hole? Nice call back to Ivo Shandor, the architect in of the building in the original.

The whole crew is back so interesting to see how they are integrated into this movie. Just glad it was directed by Paul Feig. And hope the CGI isnt as bad as the female reboot.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Interesting. I don't remember the original Ghostbusters as being a schmaltzy family friendly flick, which is exactly what this looks like.

I'll withhold full judgement until I see this, but the trailer is not promising.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Part of the appeal of the first movie was watching these schluppy middle aged dudes start and run a ghost catching business. With dry humor mixed in. It's a fun premise.

This one looks like it takes itself a little more seriously. With awkward teenagers as our protagonists and some sappy heartfelt family drama mixed in.

I'm sure it will be better than the Paul Feig version, but that's not saying much.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad