Getzlaf vs Thornton - entire careers up to today

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
1: I understand that, you have said it about 5 times now. But that still doesn't make him more valuable or even close to the best forward for that post season. I never said he wasn't important, it's you constantly belittling Thornton for not being the "best player" during his deepest runs, then giving Getzlaf more credit for 07 where he wasn't their best player....Far from it actually. If Thornton was on a 2nd line with a lot of ice time, little defensive responsibilities, and getting matched with the opposing teams weaker defensive units, I'm sure he would excel just like Getzlaf did.

2: Playoff team =/= contenders. Getzlaf came into a Ducks team that was capable of reaching they WCF, then the following year, they win the cup. The Sharks may have been in a position to be contenders in 04, but they were hardly good enough to even make it that far. Getzlaf came into a much better team and much better situation than Thornton with much less responsibility. He wasn't the go to guy, which is why I called him complimentary,

3: Then I don't know what to tell you. Thornton has the stats, hardware, and impact that buries Getzlaf, but for you, Getzlaf has had the better career because he happened to be on a stanley cup winning team where he led them in points....but was far from their best player. It's confusing.

4: Getzlaf wasn't an elite centerman when he won the cup, he wasn't even the number one center.....your not making any sense. He was also not exactly their top forward during the international tournaments either. Your basically saying a cup is a cup regardless of his value, yet you dismiss Thornton based on his value. Again, confusing.

5: So Getzlaf being the better player 1 more time than Thornton certainly makes his career better? Can you nit pick any more? That's a very weak reason and you know that, especially considering that Thornton has led the Sharks farther more times as their number 1 center than Getzlaf.....because that's how valuable he was.

6: That's nice, Thornton still has Getzlaf beat in production no matter how you spin it. His 2016 season in general is one of his best seasons of his career....all while Getzlaf struggled. 09-17, Thornton sits 5th in points and 1st in assists....so sure, Getzlaf could have some better seasons, but he is younger than Thornton, but when Thornton was his age, he was putting up even better seasons, and more consistently.

7: That doesn't suddenly just make the overall team around him not that great.....that 08 Ducks team was scary, and it was mainly because of their blue line.

8: Well it's not his fault he was sheltered on a stacked team as a number 2 center with a great supporting cast, then groomed to be a number 1 center with great wingers. Thornton made a career turning scabs into stars, he has also been THE main guy in SJ and Boston. It's a team effort and Getzlaf was lucky to come into an elite team and get a cup so early.

9: The 2006 team? What? Do you understand how weak that team was? Do you know who Thorntons wingers were? Their defense? Just stop. The Sharks didn't get a solid team depth wise until 2010. Thornton was the Sharks before that, and yes that includes 2009.

10: He still hasn't won a cup, just like Thornton. He still hasn't led them to the finals. He still hasn't delivered. Just like Thornton. This isn't about who did well getting bounced out of the playoffs, it's just a shame management couldn't get a better team around Thornton a lot sooner like they did Getzlaf.

11: That's one year....why are you so focused on single seasons where Thornton didn't do well, yet totally ignore years like 2011, 2007, 2008, etc.....

12: My point is his regular season resume far exceeds Getzlafs playoff resume. And it isn't close. Getzlaf won a cup over 10 years ago as a solid player, but nothing that screams conn smythe....and he hasn't done anything since, but you give him credit for being productive....but so has Thornton. Just because he hasn't been as proactive compared to the regular season doesn't suddenly mean he hasn't had a better career. He sits 5th in points and 5th in assists among active playoff scorers....but that's not good enough? Once again, not his fault he wasn't put on a stacked team in his second year in the league.

13: I'm so confused...Thornton was the main center in Boston and SJ. He had great seasons internationally and in the NHL during his time in Boston, he was one of the best centers in the league. He then broke out in San Jose and went on a tear. Thornton was consistently one of the best centers and IMO the best playmaker in the game....can we say the same thing about Getzlaf? Getzlaf has been better in the playoffs because he broke into the league with a great team....Thornton didn't. Getzlad wasn't relied on to lead his team, Thornton was. When Getzlaf got that responsibility, he hasn't won a cup or even made the finals. Getzlaf has a great international resume, but that has a lot to do with his age...besides he had one great Olympic run(2010) and was nothing to really note in 2014. His WCH showing in 2015 wasn't exactly elite either....so those are 2 times where he won gold, but wasn't exactly a significant player....

14: You see 5 gold medals and a cup, but in reality....it's a bunch of team achievements where half of them he wasn't the most valuable.

1: And your not giving him the credit for what he was which was the best forward in 2007. Thornton was the best for 1 of those deep runs but not the others. Getzlaf was the Ducks best player more times from a deep run and was above point per game 2 from such runs something Thronton has never ever done even once.

2: Sharks were contenders during the cap era they just didn't win. Before they at least made the playoffs its not like Thronton made a team that hadn't made the playoffs in a long time turn into a constant playoff team. With having 2 hall of fame defenseman on our team it is hard for any of our forwards to be the go to guy I guess all our forwards were complimentary then using your logic.

3: Why do you keep bringing up that I am saying just because he won a cup? He won 1 more gold medal as well. He was better in the Olympics. He has been a better playoff performer. Its not just because of 1 cup and that's it.

4: So he played in all situations and given the most amount of ice time by over 2 mins and was our leading producer and he wasn't our #1C :shakehead of course he wasn't the top forward for Canada but he was better in the Olympics then Thornton who wasn't their top forward either.

5: He had a better career because of a combination of things not just any 1 single things why is that so hard to understand? Sharks made it deeper more times with Thornton not being their best player in the playoffs. Getzlaf has needed to be the Ducks best for the team to go deep since our hall of famers have been gone otherwise we wouldn't of gone as deep as we have.

6: In the playoffs Thornton has never been above a point per game and he has 5 more total points while playing 39 more total games. He hasn't been a better playoff performer. In the regular season Thornton has been better I don't need to keep being told that when I have said he has been.

7: Our blueline was great sure but our forward depth just wasn't the same when we played the Sharks in the playoffs and our goaltending was different too. Also Beauchemin wasn't the same after coming back from injury that cost him so many games. That Sharks team was a good team they just failed in the playoffs maybe if Thronton was better the result could of been different.

8: Getzlaf helped to make Perry be as good as he became and he wasn't that elite winger in 2007 and Getzlaf had a Penner who was producing like a 3rd liner dragging the line down. So Marleau was a scrub? Lets not act like Thornton had nothing but trash to play with.

9: They beat a good Predators team in round 1 and took a 2-0 series lead against the Oilers in round 2 if they didn't blow that seires lead they could of possibly beaten the Ducks and then the Hurricanes. Don't act Sharks had no chance at all if Thornton played and produced like you would expect from someone with his size and skill coming of a Art Ross regular season.

10: Getzlaf has been above a point per game leading his team to deep runs while Thronton has never been above a point per game in a playoffs. Sometimes your team doesn't go as deep even if you had been a better player.

11: He had some fine playoffs he just never dominated in them like you would expect. Why am I praising someone for just being fine a number of times?

12: And I have admitted he had been better during the regular season can we finally get off of talking about that? I give Getzlaf credit for being better in the playoffs which he has his production and overall play has been better then Thornton in his playoff career and considering how much better Thornton has been in the regular season that surprised me. Getzlaf wasn't just better in the playoffs but also in the Olympics as well and has 1 more gold.

13: This past playoffs for Getzlaf with a inexperience playoff goalie no longer with a elite Perry injury riddle team was lead to the western conference finals with Getzlaf being above a point per game (something Thronton never did in a playoffs) I would take how good Getzlaf was this past playoffs over how good Thornton has ever been in a single playoffs I would only take the team success the Sharks had in 2016 over the Ducks team success in 2017. The 2014 Canada team didn't score a lot Getzlaf had the same amount of goals and points as Crosby and Toews so I guess Crosby and Toews didn't mean much either to helping Canada win gold I guess.

14: I see being part of teams that won more as well as being better overall in the playoffs and Olympics. I will take being a elite center before who has been better in playoff career and Olympics with a cup and 1 more Olympic gold as a career over better regular seasons.

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Last 10 years Getzlaf has the second highest ppg in the playoffs 1.05. 111 points in 105 games. Behind Crosby.

THIS IS WRONG.

During this time frame Malkin have 153 points in 144 games for 1.0625 points per game.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
1: And your not giving him the credit for what he was which was the best forward in 2007. Thornton was the best for 1 of those deep runs but not the others. Getzlaf was the Ducks best player more times from a deep run and was above point per game 2 from such runs something Thronton has never ever done even once.

2: Sharks were contenders during the cap era they just didn't win. Before they at least made the playoffs its not like Thronton made a team that hadn't made the playoffs in a long time turn into a constant playoff team. With having 2 hall of fame defenseman on our team it is hard for any of our forwards to be the go to guy I guess all our forwards were complimentary then using your logic.

3: Why do you keep bringing up that I am saying just because he won a cup? He won 1 more gold medal as well. He was better in the Olympics. He has been a better playoff performer. Its not just because of 1 cup and that's it.

4: So he played in all situations and given the most amount of ice time by over 2 mins and was our leading producer and he wasn't our #1C :shakehead of course he wasn't the top forward for Canada but he was better in the Olympics then Thornton who wasn't their top forward either.

5: He had a better career because of a combination of things not just any 1 single things why is that so hard to understand? Sharks made it deeper more times with Thornton not being their best player in the playoffs. Getzlaf has needed to be the Ducks best for the team to go deep since our hall of famers have been gone otherwise we wouldn't of gone as deep as we have.

6: In the playoffs Thornton has never been above a point per game and he has 5 more total points while playing 39 more total games. He hasn't been a better playoff performer. In the regular season Thornton has been better I don't need to keep being told that when I have said he has been.

7: Our blueline was great sure but our forward depth just wasn't the same when we played the Sharks in the playoffs and our goaltending was different too. Also Beauchemin wasn't the same after coming back from injury that cost him so many games. That Sharks team was a good team they just failed in the playoffs maybe if Thronton was better the result could of been different.

8: Getzlaf helped to make Perry be as good as he became and he wasn't that elite winger in 2007 and Getzlaf had a Penner who was producing like a 3rd liner dragging the line down. So Marleau was a scrub? Lets not act like Thornton had nothing but trash to play with.

9: They beat a good Predators team in round 1 and took a 2-0 series lead against the Oilers in round 2 if they didn't blow that seires lead they could of possibly beaten the Ducks and then the Hurricanes. Don't act Sharks had no chance at all if Thornton played and produced like you would expect from someone with his size and skill coming of a Art Ross regular season.

10: Getzlaf has been above a point per game leading his team to deep runs while Thronton has never been above a point per game in a playoffs. Sometimes your team doesn't go as deep even if you had been a better player.

11: He had some fine playoffs he just never dominated in them like you would expect. Why am I praising someone for just being fine a number of times?

12: And I have admitted he had been better during the regular season can we finally get off of talking about that? I give Getzlaf credit for being better in the playoffs which he has his production and overall play has been better then Thornton in his playoff career and considering how much better Thornton has been in the regular season that surprised me. Getzlaf wasn't just better in the playoffs but also in the Olympics as well and has 1 more gold.

13: This past playoffs for Getzlaf with a inexperience playoff goalie no longer with a elite Perry injury riddle team was lead to the western conference finals with Getzlaf being above a point per game (something Thronton never did in a playoffs) I would take how good Getzlaf was this past playoffs over how good Thornton has ever been in a single playoffs I would only take the team success the Sharks had in 2016 over the Ducks team success in 2017. The 2014 Canada team didn't score a lot Getzlaf had the same amount of goals and points as Crosby and Toews so I guess Crosby and Toews didn't mean much either to helping Canada win gold I guess.

14: I see being part of teams that won more as well as being better overall in the playoffs and Olympics. I will take haven been a elite center before who has been better in playoff career and Olympics with a cup and 1 more Olympic gold over better regular season.

1. What exactly made Getzlaf the best forward in 07? Especially over Pahlsson.

2. That's exactly what Thornton did....:laugh: the Sharks were at the bottom of the west when he was traded. He literally turned that team around, and then the Sharks finally had a franchise player to build around, but they were not cup contenders for awhile, just up and comers. Even in 09, I don't see us beating Detroit or Pitt that year. We almost always lose to simply better teams, but Joe put the Sharks on the map.

3. Getzlafs playoff and international numbers still don't stack up to Joes Regular season resume. It's far to superior, and I'm talking even his numbers. Having 1 more gold medal and better playoff numbers doesn't exactly make anyone superior, especially with a Thorntons stats. We can't jus ignore Thorntons numbers and focus on playoffs because it benefits Getzlaf.

4. He wasn't used defensively and wasn't heavily covered by the other teams defense. The Ducks that year had so many tools, and when your 4th line is your most valuable line, with 2 continuous scoring lines, Getzlaf had all the space in the world. McDonald and Selanne weren't slouches that playoffs. Selanne had 15 points(2 less than Getzlaf) and McDonald was a stud with 10 goals(leading the Ducks). Getzlaf was not their best forward.

5. I will never understand why that has to be a standard in terms of a more valued career...so Getzlaf was more valuable than Thornton with his team during those deep runs. Well that doesn't make sense at all, and I will tell you why. Getzlaf wasn't their best player in 2007, which was his biggest playoff year and the one year your using so much to overvalue his career. Then your saying he was their best player in 2014 and 2017, ok...and then Thornton was their best player in 2011, so that's once more. Your really going to tell me that that one more time he was their best player, that's enough to call his career better? What kind of argument is that? That's the one time he was more valuable more times than Thornton because the regular season isn't close, but it's one....which is why your clinging to it for dear life

6. Thornton has 4 seasons at a PPG in the playoffs. Since 06, he also leads all Sharks in points and assists, and it's not that close. He's ahead of 2nd place Marleau by 16 points. I never said he was better, I simply said he has been the most valuable Shark. And Getzlaf being better in the playoffs isn't enough to exceed Thorntons regular season resume.

7. You blaming Thornton for the Sharks playoff failures shows me how much you really don't know. You think those Sharks teams were deep? Nope. You think our blue line was just as good? Nope. It has nothing to do with Thornton....but it's sort of funny that you blame Thornton considering Getzlaf hasn't gotten the Ducks anywhere as well.

8. Perry still won a Hart, Rocket, and is a 2x first team AS. And his Hart season came with Getzlaf out of the lineup for a good chunk of time. To have that caliber of a winger on your line, ya I'd say that helps. Did you see Thorntons wingers?? I'm sure he would have loved to have Penner and Perry. Marleau? Marleau became a great goal scorer once Thornton came to town, he was a good player before but Thornton made him a great scorer.

9. Getzlaf and the Ducks blew a lead in the series against the Hawks didn't they? Also being the west teammin the west...news flash as well, your Ducks lost to that same Oilers team with Getzlaf in the lineup. The 2006 Sharks were not good, I don't understand why you continue to go back to that team. Thornton was the Sharks that year.

10. See number 6. And might I suggest you do some research before stating "facts."

11. Getzlaf never exactly dominated as much as well....he doesn't match up very well with a lot of the western conference top centers. He has also had some stinkers. But once again, Getzlaf hasn't won a cup since riding back seat to that 07 team.

12. No because your comparing them like they are equal. Thornton is 2nd among active players in points, 2nd in assists, and 8th in PPG. Thornton is 6th in active playoff points, and 5th in assists....so what exactly does Getzlaf have outside of a better PPG in the playoffs that exceeds Thorntons as a whole? A cup? 1 cup? Doesn't make much sense. You keep brushing aside his regular season numbers like they are average where as Getzlafs numbers are elite.

13. You have a very strange way of looking at things....Getzlaf was not great in the WCF, so I don't see why this past playoffs is being brought up. 4 assists in 6 games? And he was far from their best player. Just because he beat up on a young inexperienced Oilers team for 10 points doesn't qualify him as a better player.

14. So you value team awards more and that's fine. All I'm saying is Thorntons regular season resume is better than Getzlafs playoff resume in terms of careers. And it isn't close

3rd best.

Not sure how I missed Malkin since Malkin is my fav non Canucks player. Strange.

He's actually 4th best, Giroux is 3rd.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He's actually 4th best, Giroux is 3rd.

As Giroux's played like at most only half of the playoff games that guys like Sid, Geno, Getz have, I wouldn't be concerned about him in this discussion.

Although Giroux has been a great playoff performer in his own right.

edit: the referred-to PPG rankings are likely a 100+ GP kind of thing. Would be more wise that way at least...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Great Gonzo, isn't irrelevant to talk about Thornton's all time rankings considering he has an 8 year head start on Getzlaf? Who knows where Getzlaf ends up.

I understand that gap, as pointed out, made the comparison odd from certain angles, but still...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Great Gonzo, your posts are long and I just want to respond to a few points, which you've brought up repeatedly. Therefore i won't quote.

Forget the 07 run.

In another post, I listed FOUR runs where Getzlaf stood out as the main guy on the Ducks. 09, 14, 15, 17.

I think that, not only does Thornton not have as many, if any, playoff runs comparable to those four, but also the Sharks have generally had better depth than the Ducks up front, during those years where they went deep in the playoffs.

Take 2011 for instance, that team had seven players (6 forwards!) with 10+ pts over 18 games. [keep in mind that Dany Heatley was not one of those players, which makes one wonder about that team's forward depth]
2010, they had six (5 forwards!) with 10+ over 15 games.
2016, they had four guys (3 forwards) with 20+ over 24 games.

Thornton was the leading scorer only once, here.

Lets look at Getzlaf.
2009, Ducks have four guys (but just two forwards: Getzlaf and his linemate Perry) with 10+ over 13 games.
2014, Ducks have only two guys to score 10+ in 12-13 games: Getzlaf and Perry.
2015, Ducks have eight guys (5 of them forwards) with 10+ pts over 16 games. This is definitely a deeper Ducks team, with the Kesler/Silf line doing some serious damage.
2017, Ducks have four guys (all forwards) with 10+ over 17 games.

Getzlaf was the leading scorer every of those runs, however.

Points are far from everything, but I think these numbers suggest, and that's how I remember it, that Getzlaf has had to carry a heavier load than Thornton in playoff runs that don't include 07.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
1. What exactly made Getzlaf the best forward in 07? Especially over Pahlsson.

2. That's exactly what Thornton did....:laugh: the Sharks were at the bottom of the west when he was traded. He literally turned that team around, and then the Sharks finally had a franchise player to build around, but they were not cup contenders for awhile, just up and comers. Even in 09, I don't see us beating Detroit or Pitt that year. We almost always lose to simply better teams, but Joe put the Sharks on the map.

3. Getzlafs playoff and international numbers still don't stack up to Joes Regular season resume. It's far to superior, and I'm talking even his numbers. Having 1 more gold medal and better playoff numbers doesn't exactly make anyone superior, especially with a Thorntons stats. We can't jus ignore Thorntons numbers and focus on playoffs because it benefits Getzlaf.

4. He wasn't used defensively and wasn't heavily covered by the other teams defense. The Ducks that year had so many tools, and when your 4th line is your most valuable line, with 2 continuous scoring lines, Getzlaf had all the space in the world. McDonald and Selanne weren't slouches that playoffs. Selanne had 15 points(2 less than Getzlaf) and McDonald was a stud with 10 goals(leading the Ducks). Getzlaf was not their best forward.

5. I will never understand why that has to be a standard in terms of a more valued career...so Getzlaf was more valuable than Thornton with his team during those deep runs. Well that doesn't make sense at all, and I will tell you why. Getzlaf wasn't their best player in 2007, which was his biggest playoff year and the one year your using so much to overvalue his career. Then your saying he was their best player in 2014 and 2017, ok...and then Thornton was their best player in 2011, so that's once more. Your really going to tell me that that one more time he was their best player, that's enough to call his career better? What kind of argument is that? That's the one time he was more valuable more times than Thornton because the regular season isn't close, but it's one....which is why your clinging to it for dear life

6. Thornton has 4 seasons at a PPG in the playoffs. Since 06, he also leads all Sharks in points and assists, and it's not that close. He's ahead of 2nd place Marleau by 16 points. I never said he was better, I simply said he has been the most valuable Shark. And Getzlaf being better in the playoffs isn't enough to exceed Thorntons regular season resume.

7. You blaming Thornton for the Sharks playoff failures shows me how much you really don't know. You think those Sharks teams were deep? Nope. You think our blue line was just as good? Nope. It has nothing to do with Thornton....but it's sort of funny that you blame Thornton considering Getzlaf hasn't gotten the Ducks anywhere as well.

8. Perry still won a Hart, Rocket, and is a 2x first team AS. And his Hart season came with Getzlaf out of the lineup for a good chunk of time. To have that caliber of a winger on your line, ya I'd say that helps. Did you see Thorntons wingers?? I'm sure he would have loved to have Penner and Perry. Marleau? Marleau became a great goal scorer once Thornton came to town, he was a good player before but Thornton made him a great scorer.

9. Getzlaf and the Ducks blew a lead in the series against the Hawks didn't they? Also being the west teammin the west...news flash as well, your Ducks lost to that same Oilers team with Getzlaf in the lineup. The 2006 Sharks were not good, I don't understand why you continue to go back to that team. Thornton was the Sharks that year.

10. See number 6. And might I suggest you do some research before stating "facts."

11. Getzlaf never exactly dominated as much as well....he doesn't match up very well with a lot of the western conference top centers. He has also had some stinkers. But once again, Getzlaf hasn't won a cup since riding back seat to that 07 team.

12. No because your comparing them like they are equal. Thornton is 2nd among active players in points, 2nd in assists, and 8th in PPG. Thornton is 6th in active playoff points, and 5th in assists....so what exactly does Getzlaf have outside of a better PPG in the playoffs that exceeds Thorntons as a whole? A cup? 1 cup? Doesn't make much sense. You keep brushing aside his regular season numbers like they are average where as Getzlafs numbers are elite.

13. You have a very strange way of looking at things....Getzlaf was not great in the WCF, so I don't see why this past playoffs is being brought up. 4 assists in 6 games? And he was far from their best player. Just because he beat up on a young inexperienced Oilers team for 10 points doesn't qualify him as a better player.

14. So you value team awards more and that's fine. All I'm saying is Thorntons regular season resume is better than Getzlafs playoff resume in terms of careers. And it isn't close

1: Played in all situations lead all our forwards in ice time 2 min more then the next closest and had the most points despite Penner dragging things down. He was our best forward. If you don't agree fine then this is a agree to disagree situation.

2: They struggled some for a bit of 1 season its not like they had been struggle for years. Even if you don't see them winning the Cup in 09 doesn't mean they weren't contenders just that they had not been that favorite for some people. A contender doesn't have to be a favorite or even top 2 to win a cup.

3: I already said Thornton was better in the regular season I don't need to be told it over and over and over again. Getzlaf isn't a better player but he has had the better career. You acting like I am saying Getzlaf has been the better player which I am not. Better players don't always have better career.

4: Your acting like he was playing limited mins in a totally sheltered easy role he wasn't. Our MVP shutdown line wasn't our 4th line. Yeah McDonald lead Ducks in goals and Selanne was right behind in points but they didn't play in all situations and having the mins Getzlaf had.

5: Everything has a value. 2007 is important for the Cup win which helps in career value to have that cup win while doing so leading the team in points and overall amount ice time from forwards. Your trying to undervalue him from that championship team which is crazy. Getzlaf at his best in actual play and production per game in playoffs was ahead of Thornton at his best and Getzlaf overall in his playoff career was better. I would take Getzlaf career of being a elite player who won a cup like he did and has 1 more gold medal and has been better in playoffs and Olympics in his career and who should be a hall of famer in the future over Thornton career of been better in the regular season.

6: But zero above point per game and some being a good deal behind the scoring leader on his team from the playoffs totally unacceptable from someone with his size and skill.

7: 2006 playoffs he was 5 points behind the scoring leader in the playoffs and that was from his Art Ross season that is just crazy. If he played and produced as well in that playoffs as expected after that season the Sharks have a good chance to of won the Cup. He needed to be better in that playoffs as well as other be he wasn't. Someone as good as his having zero playoffs above a point per game and his drop off from regular season was big. Getzlaf isn't as good a player as Thronton and Getzlaf has a cup and more goal medals and has been better in both playoffs and Olympics the Ducks failures are not on him like the Sharks are on Thornton you don't like well I am sorry but thats the way it is. I wouldn't be happy with Thornton in the playoffs if I was a Sharks/Thornton fan.

8: Sure but that came later and when Getzlaf was out of the lineup from that Hart season Perry was below PPG. Penner from that playoffs wasn't that good he dragged down his line. Cheechoo in 2006 was better then him. I would take Marleau and Cheechoo as linemates from 2006 over Penner and Perry from 2007.

9: Yeah they did with a goaltending meltdown and Getzlaf having a long playoffs with a sports hernia effecting him. Somehow he still finished above PPG in that series. That 20005-2006 Sharks team with Thornton was great I seem to remember hearing how they had the best record once he joined them. Regardless they have a 2-0 series lead against the Oilers and if Thronton was better and they won they could of beaten the Ducks and possibly the Hurricanes too.

10: I said he never been above above point per game in a playoffs and he hasn't he has been at exactly it before no higher.

11: Lets take a look at some shall we?
2009 vs. Sharks 8 points in 6 games.
2009 vs. Red Wings 10 points in 7 games.
2014 vs. Kings 8 points in 7 games.
2015 vs. Blackhawks 8 points in 7 games.

Even against teams with good centers and many with elite defenseman and some such series playing hurt he has managed to still produce well.

12: I have been saying Thronton is better in the regular season stop acting like I haven't. I am sorry you can't handle me rather having Getzlaf career. Elite centerman during many regular seasons + better in playoffs and Olympics + a Cup + 1 Olympic gold and should be a hall of famer is a career I would rather have then just having a better regular season career like Thornton had.

13: Everyone has some series they struggle in even with that one he finished above point per game in the playoffs something Thornton never did in a playoffs too bad for him and the Sharks.

14: As judging who is a better player no I don't. Who had a better career not just looking at amount of team awards but combining them with how good the player was. I wouldn't pick Draper and his 4 Cups career over Thronton career. Getzlaf has been good enough in regular season that with everything else from Getzlaf for me to take him over Thornton.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Great Gonzo, your posts are long and I just want to respond to a few points, which you've brought up repeatedly. Therefore i won't quote.

Forget the 07 run.

In another post, I listed FOUR runs where Getzlaf stood out as the main guy on the Ducks. 09, 14, 15, 17.

I think that, not only does Thornton not have as many, if any, playoff runs comparable to those four, but also the Sharks have generally had better depth than the Ducks up front, during those years where they went deep in the playoffs.

Take 2011 for instance, that team had seven players (6 forwards!) with 10+ pts over 18 games. [keep in mind that Dany Heatley was not one of those players, which makes one wonder about that team's forward depth]

Lets look at Getzlaf.
2009, Ducks have four guys (but just two forwards: Getzlaf and his linemate Perry) with 10+ over 13 games.
2015, Ducks have eight guys (5 of them forwards) with 10+ pts over 16 games. This is definitely a deeper Ducks team, with the Kesler/Silf line doing some serious damage.

Points are far from everything, but I think these numbers suggest, and that's how I remember it, that Getzlaf has had to carry a heavier load than Thornton in playoff runs that don't include 07.

Also Getzlaf overall game in the playoffs has been better. Thronton is a -26 in the playoffs in his career while Getzlaf is a +16. I know its +/- that people make fun of but wow a -26 for Thornton just wow.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Great Gonzo, isn't irrelevant to talk about Thornton's all time rankings considering he has an 8 year head start on Getzlaf? Who knows where Getzlaf ends up.

I understand that gap, as pointed out, made the comparison odd from certain angles, but still...

Well the question is who has had the better career as of now, right? Your right...Thornton having more years on Getzlaf skews it a bit, but while still answering the question, Thornton has clearly had the better career mainly because of his all time rankings. It may not be the most fair comparison, especially with Getzlaf so young, but Thornton has made good with that extra time.

Well Getzlaf is 32....not exactly getting any younger. And Thorntons peak was far to good, I don't believe Getzlaf will be able to catch up.

Forget the 07 run.

Lets look at Getzlaf.

The Sharks may have had better depth, but Getzlaf has always had better wingers for the most part. I agree Getzlaf was a beast during those runs. My point was that outside of 07, both have had lousy runs, and both have had great runs. Thornton was their best player in 07, 08, 09, 11, and 2012. Now if we are comparing Getzlafs playoff performances to Thorntons, then yes Getzlaf has more "valuable" playoff runs. But that doesn't suddenly mean he has had a better career. That's what doesn't make sense, especially. Inside ring that the Ducks didn't find any succes, just like the Sharks.

Sure, Thornton didn't lead the team in scoring those years, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one of their best players. 2010 he had a bad 1st round while he was one of our best players through out the playoffs in 2016. The problem is that Thornton didn't get a decent team around him until his late 30s. Getzlaf had that mixture very early on.

I understand playoffs are important, but Getzlaf hasn't done enough or anything that significant in the post season that can be called greater than Thorntons entire career.

I mean why ignore that Thornton has also done better in the regular season through out their respected careers? Why ignore Thorntons all time rankings? They mean something when we are talking about a career? Don't they? More than the 3-4 times Getzlaf was better in the playoffs.

1: Played in all situations lead all our forwards in ice time 2 min more then the next closest and had the most points despite Penner dragging things down. He was our best forward. If you don't agree fine then this is a agree to disagree situation.

2: They struggled some for a bit of 1 season its not like they had been struggle for years. Even if you don't see them winning the Cup in 09 doesn't mean they weren't contenders just that they had not been that favorite for some people. A contender doesn't have to be a favorite or even top 2 to win a cup.

3: I already said Thornton was better in the regular season I don't need to be told it over and over and over again. Getzlaf isn't a better player but he has had the better career. You acting like I am saying Getzlaf has been the better player which I am not. Better players don't always have better career.

4: Your acting like he was playing limited mins in a totally sheltered easy role he wasn't. Our MVP shutdown line wasn't our 4th line. Yeah McDonald lead Ducks in goals and Selanne was right behind in points but they didn't play in all situations and having the mins Getzlaf had.

5: Everything has a value. 2007 is important for the Cup win which helps in career value to have that cup win while doing so leading the team in points and overall amount ice time from forwards. Your trying to undervalue him from that championship team which is crazy. Getzlaf at his best in actual play and production per game in playoffs was ahead of Thornton at his best and Getzlaf overall in his playoff career was better. I would take Getzlaf career of being a elite player who won a cup like he did and has 1 more gold medal and has been better in playoffs and Olympics in his career and who should be a hall of famer in the future over Thornton career of been better in the regular season.

6: But zero above point per game and some being a good deal behind the scoring leader on his team from the playoffs totally unacceptable from someone with his size and skill.

7: 2006 playoffs he was 5 points behind the scoring leader in the playoffs and that was from his Art Ross season that is just crazy. If he played and produced as well in that playoffs as expected after that season the Sharks have a good chance to of won the Cup. He needed to be better in that playoffs as well as other be he wasn't. Someone as good as his having zero playoffs above a point per game and his drop off from regular season was big. Getzlaf isn't as good a player as Thronton and Getzlaf has a cup and more goal medals and has been better in both playoffs and Olympics the Ducks failures are not on him like the Sharks are on Thornton you don't like well I am sorry but thats the way it is. I wouldn't be happy with Thornton in the playoffs if I was a Sharks/Thornton fan.

8: Sure but that came later and when Getzlaf was out of the lineup from that Hart season Perry was below PPG. Penner from that playoffs wasn't that good he dragged down his line. Cheechoo in 2006 was better then him. I would take Marleau and Cheechoo as linemates from 2006 over Penner and Perry from 2007.

9: Yeah they did with a goaltending meltdown and Getzlaf having a long playoffs with a sports hernia effecting him. Somehow he still finished above PPG in that series. That 20005-2006 Sharks team with Thornton was great I seem to remember hearing how they had the best record once he joined them. Regardless they have a 2-0 series lead against the Oilers and if Thronton was better and they won they could of beaten the Ducks and possibly the Hurricanes too.

10: I said he never been above above point per game in a playoffs and he hasn't he has been at exactly it before no higher.

11: Lets take a look at some shall we?
2009 vs. Sharks 8 points in 6 games.
2009 vs. Red Wings 10 points in 7 games.
2014 vs. Kings 8 points in 7 games.
2015 vs. Blackhawks 8 points in 7 games.

Even against teams with good centers and many with elite defenseman and some such series playing hurt he has managed to still produce well.

12: I have been saying Thronton is better in the regular season stop acting like I haven't. I am sorry you can't handle me rather having Getzlaf career. Elite centerman during many regular seasons + better in playoffs and Olympics + a Cup + 1 Olympic gold and should be a hall of famer is a career I would rather have then just having a better regular season career like Thornton had.

13: Everyone has some series they struggle in even with that one he finished above point per game in the playoffs something Thornton never did in a playoffs too bad for him and the Sharks.

14: As judging who is a better player no I don't. Who had a better career not just looking at amount of team awards but combining them with how good the player was. I wouldn't pick Draper and his 4 Cups career over Thronton career. Getzlaf has been good enough in regular season that with everything else from Getzlaf for me to take him over Thornton.

1. No, Getzlafs line had it easy. He didn't play in all situations. You need to stop throwing out statements that you can't back up. Pahlsson and McDonalds line got the heavier match ups. Getzlaf was a young up and comer who was paired with a winger who did just as well as he did.

2. I agree we were contenders, but we were injury riddled and our depth, defense, and goaltending took a **** that series.

3. So let me get this straight...Thornton being top 20 in points, top 10 in assists with a Hart/Art Ross, Olympic gold medal....all takes a back seat to a cup, 2 more international medals, and better playoff numbers....that's the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever read.

4. :laugh: YES your MVP line was Pahlssons line. Did you not watch those playoffs? I never said he didn't play well but he was sheltered. Pahlssons line had the top line match up AND was producing with some clutch moments, McDonald line was their number 1 line and they were producing consistently. Getzlaf lead the Ducks in points in 17 in 21 games....and there were, what....3-4 players with 15 points alone? Another few with 10 or better. It was a solid team depth wise and Getzlaf was free to roam.

5. Well you continuously contradict yourself with the 07 run..
A. Getzlaf wasn't their top center
B. Getzlaf wasn't even their best forward
C. He wasn't(yet) an elite center
D. You put so much emphasis on value to a team, but Getzlaf wasn't even the top 3 most valuable players, by your standards it shouldn't count.

6. Don't change your statements. You said he has NEVER had a PPG playoff season. He has had 4. Stop
Moving goal posts

7. Ok....it was one year. What's your point? That team was not going to get far. They lacked everything that was needed. Even if Thornton did better, it wouldn't have made a difference

8. You wouldn't be saying that if Thornton wasn't their center

9. Yes, but they were out of the playoffs by a long shot before Thornton. Once again, Getzlaf and the Ducks lost to the same team so I don't understand how your using this to benefit your argument.

10./11.
2007: R1 vs Nashville: 5-0-6-6
2008: R1 vs Calgary: 7-2-5-7
2010: R2 vs Detroit: 5-3-5-8
2011: R3 vs Vancouver: 5-1-5-6
2012: R1 vs STL: 5-2-3-5
2013: R1 vs Vancouver: 4-1-5-6
2016: R2 vs Nashville: 7-2-6-8
2016: R3 vs STL: 6-0-7
That's 8 playoff series where he was a PPG...

12. No it's the fact that you don't see Thorntons regular season resume as more valuable than Getzlafs, which it is. Having a few more team trophies where as Thornton has more individual awards and better stats doesn't equal a better career.

13. Are you seriously still saying Thornton has NEVER finishes at a PPG in the playoffs? Really?....it's not about who you would choose, it's about who has had a better career.

14. Yet Getzlafs career as a whole isn't better. If their regular season resumes were even remotely close, then ya Getzlaf would have the edge due to playoffs, but it isn't close. As for who is/was better? I'd say the guy who won the Hart with a first team all star honor and 3 second team a lot better. Some players are good in the playoffs, others aren't. Thornton isn't bad in the playoffs, he just couldn't get it going at certain times.

Also Getzlaf overall game in the playoffs has been better. Thronton is a -26 in the playoffs in his career while Getzlaf is a +16. I know its +/- that people make fun of but wow a -26 for Thornton just wow.

Plus minus is a horrible indication of defense. You know better than that. Thornton has been used against the opposing teams top line, Getzlaf hasn't been, especially with Kesler. Thornton is better defensively than Getzlaf, and using plus/minus to prove otherwise is quite weak.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
1. No, Getzlafs line had it easy. He didn't play in all situations. You need to stop throwing out statements that you can't back up. Pahlsson and McDonalds line got the heavier match ups. Getzlaf was a young up and comer who was paired with a winger who did just as well as he did.

2. I agree we were contenders, but we were injury riddled and our depth, defense, and goaltending took a **** that series.

3. So let me get this straight...Thornton being top 20 in points, top 10 in assists with a Hart/Art Ross, Olympic gold medal....all takes a back seat to a cup, 2 more international medals, and better playoff numbers....that's the most ridiculous reasoning I have ever read.

4. :laugh: YES your MVP line was Pahlssons line. Did you not watch those playoffs? I never said he didn't play well but he was sheltered. Pahlssons line had the top line match up AND was producing with some clutch moments, McDonald line was their number 1 line and they were producing consistently. Getzlaf lead the Ducks in points in 17 in 21 games....and there were, what....3-4 players with 15 points alone? Another few with 10 or better. It was a solid team depth wise and Getzlaf was free to roam.

5. Well you continuously contradict yourself with the 07 run..
A. Getzlaf wasn't their top center
B. Getzlaf wasn't even their best forward
C. He wasn't(yet) an elite center
D. You put so much emphasis on value to a team, but Getzlaf wasn't even the top 3 most valuable players, by your standards it shouldn't count.

6. Don't change your statements. You said he has NEVER had a PPG playoff season. He has had 4. Stop
Moving goal posts

7. Ok....it was one year. What's your point? That team was not going to get far. They lacked everything that was needed. Even if Thornton did better, it wouldn't have made a difference

8. You wouldn't be saying that if Thornton wasn't their center

9. Yes, but they were out of the playoffs by a long shot before Thornton. Once again, Getzlaf and the Ducks lost to the same team so I don't understand how your using this to benefit your argument.

10./11.
2007: R1 vs Nashville: 5-0-6-6
2008: R1 vs Calgary: 7-2-5-7
2010: R2 vs Detroit: 5-3-5-8
2011: R3 vs Vancouver: 5-1-5-6
2012: R1 vs STL: 5-2-3-5
2013: R1 vs Vancouver: 4-1-5-6
2016: R2 vs Nashville: 7-2-6-8
2016: R3 vs STL: 6-0-7
That's 8 playoff series where he was a PPG...

12. No it's the fact that you don't see Thorntons regular season resume as more valuable than Getzlafs, which it is. Having a few more team trophies where as Thornton has more individual awards and better stats doesn't equal a better career.

13. Are you seriously still saying Thornton has NEVER finishes at a PPG in the playoffs? Really?....it's not about who you would choose, it's about who has had a better career.

14. Yet Getzlafs career as a whole isn't better. If their regular season resumes were even remotely close, then ya Getzlaf would have the edge due to playoffs, but it isn't close. As for who is/was better? I'd say the guy who won the Hart with a first team all star honor and 3 second team a lot better. Some players are good in the playoffs, others aren't. Thornton isn't bad in the playoffs, he just couldn't get it going at certain times.

15: Plus minus is a horrible indication of defense. You know better than that. Thornton has been used against the opposing teams top line, Getzlaf hasn't been, especially with Kesler. Thornton is better defensively than Getzlaf, and using plus/minus to prove otherwise is quite weak.

1: Getzlaf played a good deal more then his linemates its not like he played limited mins that were easy. He lead all forwards in total ice time (21:43) over 2 min more then Pahlsson (19:25) who was 2nd most from our forwards. He did play in all situations which means power play time as well as penalty kill time to go with all the even strength time.

2: Yes injuries suck but its not like Sharks are the only playoff team to of had that happen to them.

3: I would rather have Getzlaf career where he won a cup and has 1 more gold medal has been better in the playoffs and Olympics while still being a elite center in the NHL that and will be a hall of famer eventually.

4: Our MVP line of Moen - Phalsson - Niedermayer wasn't our 4th line our 4th line was May - Marchant - whoever was used that game. He played in all situations and he had Penner dragging his line down.

5: Getzlaf was our top forward you won't agree with me and I won't change my view on that. Leading the team in points ice time and played in all situations is better then you give credit for.

6: "In the playoffs Thornton has never been above a point per game and he has 5 more total points while playing 39 more total games." The bolded was part of a previous post that I said exactly what your saying I didn't say.

7: If he was better in that playoffs they could of went all the way don't act they they got dominated in a sweep that nothing he could of done would of changed anything. They had beaten a good Predators team and had a 2-0 series lead against the Oilers. If they beat them they had enough that they could beat the Ducks and even the Hurricanes if Thornton was playing and producing like you would expect of someone who was so good.

8: I would be saying the same thing about Thornton no matter what team he was on if he played and produced the same and didn't win a cup.

9: Yes but they hadn't been that crappy team for a long time that needed to be saved so very badly like you have made it sound like.

10/11: Sure Thornton has been above point per game in some series but overall in a playoffs Thronton hasn't been above a point per game.

Lets look at Thornton best point per game from a playoffs

2002 playoffs
2 goals 4 assists 6 points 6 games

2007 playoffs
1 goal 10 assists 11 points 11 games

2012 playoffs
2 goals 3 assists 5 points 5 games

So that is 3 times at exactly a point per game he has never been higher from a playoffs.

12: I would rather have Getzlaf career its that simple. Thornton being better in the regular season just isn't enough for me.

13: "Everyone has some series they struggle in even with that one he finished above point per game in the playoffs something Thornton never did in a playoffs too bad for him and the Sharks."

Take a look at the word above. I know Thornton has finished at point per game he just never finished above.

14: Yes Thronton is the better player but better player doesn't always equal better career. Thornton playoff career isn't bad compared to who? For someone as good as him I would say it has been bad. I wouldn't be happy having my #1C having his kind of playoffs.

15: I know what problems +/- has but a -26 that is just terrible. Getzlaf has been used against opposing teams top lines before. We haven't always had Kesler. With Kesler we have Getzlaf not doing so because we need as much offensive as we can get out of Getzlaf because our lower lines just don't score enough. Thornton all around game gets worse in the playoffs and that includes his defensive game.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Getzlaf's career as in team accomplishments, sure.

His individual peak has never been anywhere near Thornton's, and that's not at all debatable.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
1: Getzlaf played a good deal more then his linemates its not like he played limited mins that were easy. He lead all forwards in total ice time (21:43) over 2 min more then Pahlsson (19:25) who was 2nd most from our forwards. He did play in all situations which means power play time as well as penalty kill time to go with all the even strength time.

2: Yes injuries suck but its not like Sharks are the only playoff team to of had that happen to them.

3: I would rather have Getzlaf career where he won a cup and has 1 more gold medal has been better in the playoffs and Olympics while still being a elite center in the NHL that and will be a hall of famer eventually.

4: Our MVP line of Moen - Phalsson - Niedermayer wasn't our 4th line our 4th line was May - Marchant - whoever was used that game. He played in all situations and he had Penner dragging his line down.

5: Getzlaf was our top forward you won't agree with me and I won't change my view on that. Leading the team in points ice time and played in all situations is better then you give credit for.

6: "In the playoffs Thornton has never been above a point per game and he has 5 more total points while playing 39 more total games." The bolded was part of a previous post that I said exactly what your saying I didn't say.

7: If he was better in that playoffs they could of went all the way don't act they they got dominated in a sweep that nothing he could of done would of changed anything. They had beaten a good Predators team and had a 2-0 series lead against the Oilers. If they beat them they had enough that they could beat the Ducks and even the Hurricanes if Thornton was playing and producing like you would expect of someone who was so good.

8: I would be saying the same thing about Thornton no matter what team he was on if he played and produced the same and didn't win a cup.

9: they were pretty bad....don't see an argument against that that you can use. They were a struggling franchise that needed a boost.

10/11: Sure Thornton has been above point per game in some series but overall in a playoffs Thronton hasn't been above a point per game.

Lets look at Thornton best point per game from a playoffs

2002 playoffs
2 goals 4 assists 6 points 6 games

2007 playoffs
1 goal 10 assists 11 points 11 games

2012 playoffs
2 goals 3 assists 5 points 5 games

So that is 3 times at exactly a point per game he has never been higher from a playoffs.

12: I would rather have Getzlaf career its that simple. Thornton being better in the regular season just isn't enough for me.

13: "Everyone has some series they struggle in even with that one he finished above point per game in the playoffs something Thornton never did in a playoffs too bad for him and the Sharks."

Take a look at the word above. I know Thornton has finished at point per game he just never finished above.

14: Yes Thronton is the better player but better player doesn't always equal better career. Thornton playoff career isn't bad compared to who? For someone as good as him I would say it has been bad. I wouldn't be happy having my #1C having his kind of playoffs.

15: I know what problems +/- has but a -26 that is just terrible. Getzlaf has been used against opposing teams top lines before. We haven't always had Kesler. With Kesler we have Getzlaf not doing so because we need as much offensive as we can get out of Getzlaf because our lower lines just don't score enough. Thornton all around game gets worse in the playoffs and that includes his defensive game.

1. You keep twisting my words around. I NEVER said he played limited minutes, I never said he wasn't good, and I never said he didn't lead all forwards in ice time. I clearly said he had it easy. He wasn't used as a shut down forward, he didn't get matched with the opposing teams top defensive unit...how is that hard to understand? That's what made that Ducks team so dangerous.

2. I wasn't making excuses I was just telling you how it all went down.

3. Then I guess I will never understand your views of on that. He wasn't an elite centerman when he won a cup, nor was he one of the best centers for the Olympic team for his second gold medal. By your own standards, that all shouldn't be taken so heavily in terms of career. Maybe it's just me, but I feel it's more valuable to be named the best player on your team, most valuable in the league, and the top offensive producer, than to be a the 4th-5th best player on a stanley cup winning team as a non elite and not even their top centerman.

4. Ok then I mispoke, your 3rd line was your MVP line. I was clearly naming Pahlssons like though while saying all that. I just accidentally named the wrong line.

5. Getzlaf didn't lead all forwards in SH or PP ice time. He also led the team by 2 measley points while getting eaiser match ups. Pahlsson was better than playoff run. Shutting down the opposing top line, 12 points with 2 game winning goals? That line was ridiculous. McDonald also had 10 goals and 14 points.

6. You have stated a couple of times that Thornton has never been a PPG in the playoffs.

7. I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly knows nothing about the Sharks that year. It's silly. You can believe that they would have made it if Thornton was better, and they used their hopes and dreams as fuel :laugh: the Sharks were not going to win the cup that year. Get over it and stop trying to make a Thornton problem.

8. But in terms of Thornton, you wouldn't be saying that.

9. Because your saying how much they should have beaten them, so could have the Ducks.

10/11. So you went from, "he has never been a PPG" to "he has never been higher than a PPG." Pick up and stop changing your argument.

12. Thornton has a Hart and an Art Ross, that is sure more elite than a cup and an Olympic gold medal, especially in regards to Getzlaf, who wasn't their MVP during his cup run or Olympic gold medal. Thorntons regular season stats souly makes his career better. Being top 20 in points in top 10 in assists ALL TIME is bigger than anything Getzlaf has stat wise. Getzlaf isn't touching anything that high in the regular season or playoffs.

13. See 10/11
14. See 12

15. It isn't the best, but hardly means he is worst defensively. It mostly stems from
His 2010 post season. Can you prove that his all around game gets worst outside of plus/minus? Back up your statements.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
1. You keep twisting my words around. I NEVER said he played limited minutes, I never said he wasn't good, and I never said he didn't lead all forwards in ice time. I clearly said he had it easy. He wasn't used as a shut down forward, he didn't get matched with the opposing teams top defensive unit...how is that hard to understand? That's what made that Ducks team so dangerous.

2. I wasn't making excuses I was just telling you how it all went down.

3. Then I guess I will never understand your views of on that. He wasn't an elite centerman when he won a cup, nor was he one of the best centers for the Olympic team for his second gold medal. By your own standards, that all shouldn't be taken so heavily in terms of career. Maybe it's just me, but I feel it's more valuable to be named the best player on your team, most valuable in the league, and the top offensive producer, than to be a the 4th-5th best player on a stanley cup winning team as a non elite and not even their top centerman.

4. Ok then I mispoke, your 3rd line was your MVP line. I was clearly naming Pahlssons like though while saying all that. I just accidentally named the wrong line.

5. Getzlaf didn't lead all forwards in SH or PP ice time. He also led the team by 2 measley points while getting eaiser match ups. Pahlsson was better than playoff run. Shutting down the opposing top line, 12 points with 2 game winning goals? That line was ridiculous. McDonald also had 10 goals and 14 points.

6. You have stated a couple of times that Thornton has never been a PPG in the playoffs.

7. I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly knows nothing about the Sharks that year. It's silly. You can believe that they would have made it if Thornton was better, and they used their hopes and dreams as fuel :laugh: the Sharks were not going to win the cup that year. Get over it and stop trying to make a Thornton problem.

8. But in terms of Thornton, you wouldn't be saying that.

9. Because your saying how much they should have beaten them, so could have the Ducks.

10/11. So you went from, "he has never been a PPG" to "he has never been higher than a PPG." Pick up and stop changing your argument.

12. Thornton has a Hart and an Art Ross, that is sure more elite than a cup and an Olympic gold medal, especially in regards to Getzlaf, who wasn't their MVP during his cup run or Olympic gold medal. Thorntons regular season stats souly makes his career better. Being top 20 in points in top 10 in assists ALL TIME is bigger than anything Getzlaf has stat wise. Getzlaf isn't touching anything that high in the regular season or playoffs.

13. See 10/11
14. See 12

15. It isn't the best, but hardly means he is worst defensively. It mostly stems from
His 2010 post season. Can you prove that his all around game gets worst outside of plus/minus? Back up your statements.

I said ABOVE point per game in multiple posts. I can't continue with this debate when you keep saying I say something I didn't say.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I said ABOVE point per game in multiple posts. I can't continue with this debate when you keep saying I say something I didn't say.

Why would that still be a standard? Why is it that Getzlad being MORE than a PPG in the playoffs, it means he has had a better career? It's something that doesn't really mean anything, but it's one of the very few advantages Getzlaf has on Thornton, so it's suddenly a key factor.

Why isn't Thornton having more seasons at far above a PPG in the regular season important?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Why would that still be a standard? Why is it that Getzlad being MORE than a PPG in the playoffs, it means he has had a better career? It's something that doesn't really mean anything, but it's one of the very few advantages Getzlaf has on Thornton, so it's suddenly a key factor.

Why isn't Thornton having more seasons at far above a PPG in the regular season important?
I just got to cut in here, PPG is relevant but not only in the regular season. It could just be here that different commentators weighs different things a little differently.
But for full disclosure, i have to admit that while Thornton once pulled a fast one on me which led to me being mildly humiliated in front of amongst others Vlasic and Setoguchi, Getzlaf was more welcoming although he has that strange laid back confidence that is mostly seen amongst athletes.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I just got to cut in here, PPG is relevant but not only in the regular season. It could just be here that different commentators weighs different things a little differently.
But for full disclosure, i have to admit that while Thornton once pulled a fast one on me which led to me being mildly humiliated in front of amongst others Vlasic and Setoguchi, Getzlaf was more welcoming although he has that strange laid back confidence that is mostly seen amongst athletes.

What you said at the end there is interesting because I've always found that both Joe and Getz have that laid back confidence you speak of. Another similarity between the 2. Of course prone to some frustration during games, but generally come off as 2 really cool, relaxed guys.

And I mean, don't their careers kind of reflect that? Joe leaves a feeling that he could have done a bit more in the playoffs, doesnt he? And doesnt Getzlaf leave a similar feeling for his regular season performance? I dont know, just a thought, really.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
What you said at the end there is interesting because I've always found that both Joe and Getz have that laid back confidence you speak of. Another similarity between the 2. Of course prone to some frustration during games, but generally come off as 2 really cool, relaxed guys.

And I mean, don't their careers kind of reflect that? Joe leaves a feeling that he could have done a bit more in the playoffs, doesnt he? And doesnt Getzlaf leave a similar feeling for his regular season performance? I dont know, just a thought, really.
Yes on all accounts. Joe might be too lax to find a real killer instinct, and i have also thought Getzlaf's physical play could have been even better.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'd rather have Getzlaf for a playoff run, so in that sense I think he is better. He obviously will never come close to putting up the numbers Thornton has in the regular season though .

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I'd rather have Getzlaf for a playoff run, so in that sense I think he is better. He obviously will never come close to putting up the numbers Thornton has in the regular season though .

Better? Like better player or career? Extremely different...

I still don't understand why people would take Getzlaf....what has Getzlaf done on the Ducks as their top guy? Thornton led them to a stanley cup....

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I still don't understand why people would take Getzlaf....what has Getzlaf done on the Ducks as their top guy? Thornton led them to a stanley cup....

To clarify, the question in the OP asks who was the better player over their respective careers. Not who had the best career.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

My post was self explanatory, Getzlaf for playoffs and Thornton for the regular season. When a player is that consistently better in the playoffs (I've watched more than enough of both in the past decade there) I have a hard time saying they are not technically the better player. He has just about as much skill but also has a killer instinct and uses his size and strength to his advantage more when the games get tough. Thornton can always pile up the assists but he's nowhere close to my top 20 guys I would take for a playoff run, and Getzlaf would be very close to that I think, for me anyway. I think Thornton's peak was massively inflated by those two high scoring seasons, and he's not as much better offensively than Getzlaf as it would appear from those two seasons, but like I said he still is the better regular season player by quite a bit.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Right now it is Thornton, and it may always be. There is just too much dominance in the regular season to ignore. Thornton is a lot like Dionne that way, while there is lots to be desired in the postseason his regular season is just too good. Getzlaf didn't win a Hart or Art Ross. He never led the league in assists three times in a row. Even so, when judging their careers as all-stars at the centre position here is how they fared so far:

Thornton - 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 9, 9
Getzlaf - 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 7, 8

Not close right now. Thornton has been the better centre. Granted, Getzlaf is younger and might have some gas left in the tank to make more of an impact but the question is how much more? He's 32 now, has played a lot of hockey and there are younger centres taking over the game now. We'll see.

If there is something you can't ignore about him it is his postseason resume, that's just awesome. About as good as you can get for a guy who has only won one Cup. There has never been a poor postseason for him. The Ducks have won or died on his back. He has a lot of healthy runs including a great one last year. Even in a loss, Getzlaf has always looked good. Thornton doesn't have this luxury, he's been mediocre at best in the playoffs. But overall the career still goes to Thornton for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad