Value of: Getzlaf to the Oilers

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
James Neal has 19 goals, which is way more than anyone on Anaheim.

Nugent-Hopkins and Kassian both have 13 goals a piece, which would make them 3rd on the Ducks ( both have more than Getzlaf).
Yamamoto has been called up, and has 3 goals in 8 games. He's been the depth that Drai-centered 2nd line has needed.

We're not a particularly deep team, but we're certainly not terrible.
Neal is the very defintion of 4th line player who can score on the powerplay. He's playing with McDavid and Connor is carrying him to a very good season. Thrilled with the 19 goals but he's not very good. Much better than Lucic

I hope we trade Kassian. I really do. Also, the McDavid effect.

RNH is a great and very underraed player.

Yamamoto might be great... he's really benefitting playing with RNH and Drai. Hope he sticks. Him and Bear are the 2 best acquistions of our season and they were both free.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Anaheim fans are out of their minds if they think Edmonton would give 1 rounder for a player who has next to nothing left in his tank. A first-round pick for a player who is 35 is a way a Gm gets canned

Who are you talking about? It can't be Getzlaf because he's proven so far this season that he has plenty left in his tank and he's also 34, not 35..

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Who are you talking about? It can't be Getzlaf because he's proven so far this season that he has plenty less in his tank and he's also 34, not 35..
I assume you mean "left?"

As is, it seems like you're suggesting Getzlaf is nearly done.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Apparently this is a hard concept for you.

Playoff experience AND current performance matters. You wouldn't go for a guy like Perry because his current performance is bad. Getzlaf's current production is still good for his situation and age. I shouldn't have to explain this but I guess I do.

'for his age'...

No, once again the cap does not matter in this scenario. We're discussing a scenario where a team can add either Getzlaf or RNH to their team for a playoff run; that goes with the assumption that the team can take on Getzlaf's cap hit (hell in this fantasy scenario Ducks retain 50%). Once again, I should not have to explain like this lol.

First I've heard anaheim is retaining 50 percent. What are we giving up to get Getzlaf again? Are we talking about a totally different team not named Anaheim and who'd they trade for? Because one is still old and expensive and one is still young and less expensive.

Have I suggested Getz is going to outperform himself in the playoffs now? No. Naming a player in his 30's who did better then than in his 20's isn't relevant. Getz isn't going to drop dramatically in 3 months during the playoffs, like that's a hilarious and ridiculous idea to suggest.

So you agree players are worse in their 30's. Good. We now agree on 3 things.

Guys in their mid 30's also perform worse than guys in their 20's. Feel free to look up scoring leaders from the last 5 playoffs... won't see many grey beards on the list.

Again an irrelevant point. We're comparing two players, similar skill level, but one has proven successful playoff history while still also being a productive NHL player. RNH is younger, but his lack of experience in the playoffs and lack of success when he was actually in the playoffs is going to cause a team to shy away from him even if he is younger.

I'm going to repeat this. McDavid and Drai also 'lack playoff experience'. You think GM's will shy away from them? Taylor Hall also lacks playoff experience. He's going to get paid this offseason.

The Anaheim point is irrelevant because we're not talking about who you would build a team around right now. We're talking about one playoff run, that's it. Not sure how many times I have to repeat this.

My point was that teams don't build aroung old players, they build around young ones.

So we're just gonna ignore the years of teams adding playoff rentals for a playoff run? Which again, your point about a team's core being young isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about a team ADDING to what they have for a playoff run. Look at past SC winners, they all have impact players in their 30's.

I'm not ignoring it at all. I"ve asked you to name them? Give me some examples? Name me all the impact players in their 30's on past SC winners? I think you'll be surprised how small the list is. In my head I have a handful of guys in the last 5 years but I'm all ears. Give me examples. Back up what you say.

I've posted stats, tables, cap links.. I've also done my best, despite not agreeing with you, to not insult you. You are getting more condescending and insulting with every post. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong. I've offered several times time agree to disagree. But if you want to continue then please actually back up your stuff with some stats and examples instead of being condescending. Look back the last few pages at how many stats and links I've given. The only stats you've quoted were mine.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Why do you think 5M in Cap dumps is appealing? Getzlaf should essentially pull the other two non-conditional assets by himself.

Granted, the Cap needs to be offset, but that’s not a free throw-in situation.

The proper answer to this thread is “more than its worth”.

Why do the Ducks care if they take back salary? You guys broke?

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
It's after Drai/McDavid - it's an awful group on NHLers. If you take out the top 2 Anaheim guys (Getzlaf/Silverberg) and compare your next 10 to our next 10 it's closer than you think.

Anaheim won't take long to be good again.

You just had a Oilers fan who posted. James old ass Neal has more goals than anyone in our club. That poster is 100% accurate regarding value. As well as comparing both the clubs in the scoring department regarding teams stats.

Last edited:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Why do the Ducks care if they take back salary? You guys broke?

May as well be broke. If it’s not worth a pick why the hell are we taking anything back? It’s first to you. Or open market come February

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
May as well be broke. If it’s not worth a pick why the hell are we taking anything back? It’s first to you. Or open market come February
I never offered anything. I simply asked a question. You ignored it and went on a small rant.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I never offered anything. I simply asked a question. You ignored it and went on a small rant.

Sorry. Been reading bull shit all day long like Getzlaf has no value. How would you feel as a Ducks fan in my position. Dealing with mediocrity. And also having HF boards tell you your players suck.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Sorry. Been reading bull **** all day long like Getzlaf has no value. How would you feel as a Ducks fan in my position. Dealing with mediocrity. And also having HF boards tell you your players suck.

I hear you.

All of our players have sucked for years and everyone told us about it. Again and again and again. They still all suck except for two of them according to some. You are now a cellar dweller and lots of people hated the Ducks over the years for numerous reasons. There are still people who hate the Oilers because of the Gretzky years. Kind of take it as a compliment.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
It’s not that they care about taking back salary, it’s that there’s always an additional cost for doing so if the player attached to said salary isn’t worth their Cap hit.

Surprisingly difficult for some to understand.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Here are Getzlaf's stat's in the same timeframe:

upload_2020-3-1_1-6-1.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad