Value of: Getzlaf to the Oilers

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
His cap hit is 8.25 for another year after this one and he’d be 3C behind McDavid and Drai the way our lineup is currently constructed. Strange target who we can’t afford at all.

If the Oilers traded some salary back and the Ducks retained some of Getzlaf’s, you could move Drai back up to the top line and have Getzlaf with Nuge and Yamamoto. Would be a great add imo.

Reactions: bert and Homesick

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the Oilers traded some salary back and the Ducks retained some of Getzlaf’s, you could move Drai back up to the top line and have Getzlaf with Nuge and Yamamoto. Would be a great add imo.

The problem is what does it cost to take back cap dumps, retain and give up a good center.

Likely a lot more than you guys would want... I mean what would be the cap coming back? Russel + gagner + 30% retention on getzlaf(not sure that even works)

I mean your looking at Bouchard + 20 1st + 21 1st... to even get the conversation started.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The problem is what does it cost to take back cap dumps, retain and give up a good center.

Likely a lot more than you guys would want... I mean what would be the cap coming back? Russel + gagner + 30% retention on getzlaf(not sure that even works)

I mean your looking at Bouchard + 20 1st + 21 1st... to even get the conversation started.

Obviously the Oilers wouldn’t even give up Bouchard to get Getzlaf, let alone the rest.

I agree that it’s a strange target and not at all who the Oilers should be looking for, especially at that salary.

Reactions: Getz2noone

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Gagner + Chaisson + puljujarvi + 1st + conditional.
What value does Gagner/Chaisson/Puljujarvi actually add though? They are all the caliber of players you can get for free every offseason.

Since they aren't going to contend (obviously), they'd be better off trying to get a 1st and a 2nd, maybe more etc. Ideally just as many futures as possible.

Reactions: go4hockey

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Obviously the Oilers wouldn’t even give up Bouchard to get Getzlaf, let alone the rest.

I agree that it’s a strange target and not at all who the Oilers should be looking for, especially at that salary.
I agree... its just a weird idea... and way too much cap retention + dumps.... that the value is going to go way up in anaheims favor.

If anything oilers should target Kase Ritchie rakell or silfveberg(not really saying any are openly available... but those make more sense... and prob much easier to accomplish.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
What value does Gagner/Chaisson/Puljujarvi actually add though? They are all the caliber of players you can get for free every offseason.

Since they aren't going to contend (obviously), they'd be better off trying to get a 1st and a 2nd, maybe more etc. Ideally just as many futures as possible.

The only value they have is by enabling the trade. Because EDM cannot take on that much salary. Maybe if Anaheim made max retention. But then Getzlaf is too long in the tooth for EDM to want to give up Bouchard, Samarukov, Broberg, or Lavoi for. They'll be targeting yougner players with longer team control who can be part of the long term plan.

Reactions: Getz2noone

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Anaheim would have to take Neal to make it work, which means Getzlaf would get more expensive

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Most random proposal ever.

Good wingers like Kase or Rakell would be proper targets. Oilers don't need to overpay for a center like Getzlaf... and him between Nuge and Yams? Well... Drai ALREADY works there. Why mess up chemistry now??

Reactions: mattihp

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010

for an older player on the down side of his playing days you want that much .All I can say is thank Christ Chia not our GM

Reactions: WIOiler

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Russell and one of Gagner or Manning would be part of this deal before we discuss the return.

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's realistic.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
2 unconditional firsts and some cap dump to the Ducks. Thats what the ducks would want I would think

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
2 unconditional firsts and some cap dump to the Ducks. Thats what the ducks would want I would think
You do realize that he's a 35-40 point forward who'd be a second line C here, right?

I'm not even sure a first round pick would be necessary. We're clearing their cap biggest commitment.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Why do you think 5M in Cap dumps is appealing? Getzlaf should essentially pull the other two non-conditional assets by himself.

Granted, the Cap needs to be offset, but that’s not a free throw-in situation.

The proper answer to this thread is “more than its worth”.

Salary is a key here. Without retention the Ducks save a lot of real money on that trade. That has value to them I am sure since they don't need the cap space.

Still, he seems like a very unlikely target.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad