Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If thats the case then why draft them? And try to turn them into fourth line grinders?
Or if you dont see it with them then trade them when their value is high instead of jerking them around until they are worth nothing.
Fagemo led the world juniors in scoring and Kaliyev had a great rookie year. If you werent going to let them play in the top six then they should have gotten some value back.

I think I might have said that wrong I think I meant in relation too.....when you put those three players together, and rank them, LAF comes out #1 all day every day,

World Juniors in scoring, great.....but if it won't translate into NHL play, mine was well go put tits on a bull, Pro Hockey is littered with players who could score in juniors.....

Who knows about getting value back, Fagemo was waived....TWICE...what exactly do you think he's bringing back in a trade?

This has probably already been asked but if the intention was to keep Blake all along, why didn't we do anything at the deadline?

Close to two trades, both players on the other side shut it down, other than that, wasn't much room at all to be made

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I think I might have said that wrong I think I meant in relation too.....when you put those three players together, and rank them, LAF comes out #1 all day every day,

World Juniors in scoring, great.....but if it won't translate into NHL play, mine was well go put tits on a bull, Pro Hockey is littered with players who could score in juniors.....

Who knows about getting value back, Fagemo was waived....TWICE...what exactly do you think he's bringing back in a trade?

Close to two trades, both players on the other side shut it down, other than that, wasn't much room at all to be made
What trades were we close to? Are we believing the PLDonut for Ullmark one?

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
But why are we considering Laf a scrub?? His game this past season was unpolished especially on the defensive side but I feel like the potential was/is pretty clearly there - Especially throughout the first 10-20 games or so he was definitely showing flashes of high skill. Hell, there were some games earlier this season where he looked like our best forward at times (I remember a lot of us, myself included, were raving about how good he looked).

He's a first year pro... an unpolished game is to be expected. Why are we assuming we've seen all we need to see from a 22 year old rookie?? Why are we feeling the need to label the player as a 'scrub' or 'the next Iafallo'??

The guy was drafted in 2020 and just played 81 NHL games and 5 playoff games as a rookie... He very much still has more upside and the potential to improve/develop. There are plenty of NHL players around the league who don't reach their full potential until they're 23-25 years old.

Personally, I'm excited to see how Laf looks after another offseason to train & iron out some kinks in his game. I think he could be a legitimate option for the top 6 within the next year or two if he's able to improve a bit and show there's more production / offensive upside there. If he completely stagnates, sure.. He might end up being a similar kind of player as Iafallo. But there's also a chance he could have a similar development/career path as a guy like Troy Terry and could turn into a consistent 20+ goal scorer. Time will tell.
Swap Kaliyev for Laf in your statement and everything else holds true.

I call him a scrub because he’s a good player that fans fantasize about being great because they’re desperate to latch onto any hope because the reality of management is true depressing.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't really see why the Kings wouldn't create space for Portillo and see what he can do. He'll be 24 on opening night. They slow-played Petersen too much in the AHL and look what happened to him.
You don’t understand why the dipshits in charge would do something, fail at it, then try it again. And again?

Kings play 1-3-1, lose to the oilers in 7
Kings play 1-3-1, lose to the oilers in 6
Kings play 1-3-1, lose to the oilers in 5

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
In his first year Iafallo outscored Laffy by 2 points in less games. Pretty sure that wasn’t all on the first line. At the time, we all thought Al was just a step away from 20+ goals. Never happened.
Not that I think Laferriere has a very high offensive upside, but Iafallo was 23 and turned 24 at the time he debuted on the Kings. Laferriere just turned 21 when he debuted.

I think it's fair to say they're pretty comparable.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I think his shot is better than AI's

but all around offensive instincts? Nah. Just because he can dangle a guy or two at the blueline it makes him look visually more impressive than the results. His passing is iffy and if the game is doing anything but north-south-dump-check he's pretty much JAG.
AI was vanilla as they come. Good on d. I just see more offensive instinct in Laf.More creativity.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Listened to Jim Fox on "Locked on Kings", and he said they Kings aren't losing Roy and Arvidsson for nothing, the are gaining cap space....

I could not facepalm hard enough. Good lord Jim have some self respect
Same, doesn’t take into account what they could have got for them. I’d take rv back on a cheap show me deal but I think he goes elsewhere.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Listened to Jim Fox on "Locked on Kings", and he said they Kings aren't losing Roy and Arvidsson for nothing, the are gaining cap space....

yeah i tried real hard to let him explain several things before i freaked out, but he would go straight back to the pravda lines

that line about cap space is absolute insanity

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Kings could not extend an offer to Byfield! He wouldn't be lost for nothing. They'd be gaining cap space instead of extending him.

Blake. You 5D chess player you.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Not that I think Laferriere has a very high offensive upside, but Iafallo was 23 and turned 24 at the time he debuted on the Kings. Laferriere just turned 21 when he debuted.

I think it's fair to say they're pretty comparable.
God forbid the Kings develop solid middle sixers too.

I still think that his offensive potential could have used a full year with the powerplay and key situational minutes that he won't be seeing in the NHL.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Listened to Jim Fox on "Locked on Kings", and he said the Kings aren't losing Roy and Arvidsson for nothing, the are gaining cap space....

One really shouldn't and can't blame Fox here for towing the company line. It's part of the job description.

I just hope after the interview, he was disgusted enough with himself to pull a Karen Carpenter

1715272012705.png

Reactions: 21Dog

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Look at the size of the Canucks D - same issue Oilers had with the Vegas D last year.

There is a difference between Doughty, Anderson, Roy, and Gavrikov vs. Petro, McNabb, Hague, Whitecloud and Zadorov, Soucey, Myers, and Cole.

Vegas and Canucks both have big mobile D who can move the puck, hit and fight, if needed.

Other than the turnovers/counterattacks they just straight won't let them into the middle

big difference from Roy's red carpet

And again bless Roy but that's a flaw in team construction, not in his ability to carry a dcore outside Drew

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Roy's red carpet... thats so f***ing perfect. You can pass a boeing through Roy's stick. Roy was getting exposed for his glorious red carpet habits during the season because you always saw me bitching about it every game when he was guarding no one near the crease and his stick was never active. I know he got exposed a ton more during the playoffs because Gavrikov wasn't playing good either, but yeah roy was having this problem all season.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Other than the turnovers/counterattacks they just straight won't let them into the middle

big difference from Roy's red carpet

And again bless Roy but that's a flaw in team construction, not in his ability to carry a dcore outside Drew
That's one of the biggest flaws of the 1-3-1. With the LD standing up and the RD dropping back in deep to retrieve the forced dump in, you are absolutely screwed if the attackers breach the blueline with possession. Gaps everywhere.

I also wonder if Roy tended to drop back in so deep even on cycles as some sort of residual passive behavior from that role in the 1-3-1.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I’m reminded of a PP goal the Oilers scored in Game 5 of last year’s playoffs where Roy just allowed Kane to skate closer and closer and score. I’m not going to miss his play. I’m just pissed we’re getting nothing for him.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad