Speculation: Getting McDavid

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I really hope we win the lottery. Eichel is the best consolation prize ever. But he's never been on McDavid's level. Not even close.

With that said, the amount of premium cornerstone pieces it would take to get someone to trade out of McDavid... simply isn't worth it. You don't win with one player, you don't build around 1 player. Keeping Reinhart, Girgs, Risto, Zads is as integral to building a contender as getting McDavid would be.

I'll gladly add Eichel to the the structure we are building. He's a perfect fit.

If we win McDavid... I think I'll cry tears of joy for months.

McDavid >> Eichel
It was never close.

SeanDog

Feb 1, 2010
I would trade nothing to move up when we are guaranteed a generational talent.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I mean, it is theoretically possible.

Tim values McDavid very high, if lets say, Melony, thinks that difference between Mc and Eichel isn't that big, he could take an enormous over payment. (which will be on the table for sure)

2nd, Reinhart, Girgensons, Zadorov, other 1st.

If Murray did that I would stop being a sabres fan.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I want McDavid as much as the next guy but I'm not sacrificing multiple core pieces to accomplish that.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How far is too far? What is gutting? This team has stockpiled picks and prospects. You can give up a ton without it gutting the team, IMO.
i agree...I really dont want it to happen, but perhaps Murrays longview is different than some of ours

what if the above hypothetical 2nd, Reinhart, Girgensons, Zadorov & NYI 1st is the deal?

Kane, McDavid, Ennis, Moulson, Grigorenko, Larsson, Foligno, Hodgson, DeLo, Schaller, Carrier, Fasching, Baptiste, Compher, Bailey, Hurley, Cornell etcetcetc all still here

Bogosian, Ristolainen, McCabe, Pysyk, Ruhwedel, Florentino, Martin

Pick 31 & 50, 2016 1st etc

+ Pegula $$$'s in UFA over the next 3 years

does Murray believe the lost pieces can be replaced from within or UFA going forward?

its scary to think about, i know...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Reinhart ALONE is more then enough to close the gap between McDavid and Eichel... I mean come on, McDavid isn't a #2 overall future franchise #1 center better then Eichel.

And adding Girgs Zads and a 1st? :lol::lol:

****ing BRUTAL.

Eichel-Reinhart-Girgensons

That's your elite center corps until 2030. No thanks on a idiotic trade for a guy marginally better. Only way it would be worth it if McDavid was a 150 point dynamo and Eichel was "just" a 80 point player. Moving a franchise center prospect, an elite shutdown two way center, future top pairing D and a 1st to gain an extra 10-20 points AT BEST is the worst idea I have ever heard.

Especially because a package of Reinhart,Girgensons,Ristolainen and BUF 2016 1st is enough to get McDavid on his own let alone adding Eichel.

ClassicBusiness

Mar 20, 2012
This isn't basketball where 1 guy can make or break your team.

You need to surround your best with talented guys who fit into their roles really well.

I don't see any trade for #1 happening. Any trade would be a major over payment and all our youth and depth would be gone.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
I like Eichel, and he is probably going to be a damn good player...but the gap between him and McDavid is bigger then people want to admit.

People on this board have already decided we are getting #2 - so they are trying to rationalize the fact we are getting Eichel, and in turn saying he's just as good.

He's not...that's not saying he isn't going to be good...but he's not on the same level as McDavid.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I would be willing to trade Zadorov to move from #2 to #1, and that is nowhere close to being enough.

It would take Zadorov and Girgensons, and maybe more to make it happen, and I absolutely would not make that trade.

I will pull a few of my own teeth if Murray trades up from Eichel to McDavid, because it's a guaranteed loss in significant value for the other team to agree.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I like Eichel, and he is probably going to be a damn good player...but the gap between him and McDavid is bigger then people want to admit.

People on this board have already decided we are getting #2 - so they are trying to rationalize the fact we are getting Eichel, and in turn saying he's just as good.

He's not...that's not saying he isn't going to be good...but he's not on the same level as McDavid.

Would you trade Getzlaf, Perry, +++ for Crosby?

Would your trade Toews, Kane, & Keith for Crosby?

The bottom line is if the Sabres don't win the lottery, the plan should be to build around Eichel and Reinhart moving forward and not get crazy to try and get McDavid.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011

The bottom line is if the Sabres don't win the lottery, the plan should be to build around Eichel and Reinhart moving forward and not get crazy to try and get McDavid.

I think the difference between Toews, Kane and Keith compared to Reinhart, Zadorov, and Eichel is absolutely huge.

It would be tough to give up Reinhart, but unless it's Reinhart AND Risto - I don't see that price being too much.

...with that being said, I'd be fine with not doing that - but you'd have to consider it.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What you would consider giving up, that isn't gutting?.

Risto is the only piece I absolutely would not give up. He is going to be a franchise defenseman, IMO, and you need a guy like that on the back end when all is said and done. Other than that, I would be most reluctant to give up any future 1st round picks. They are currency that is invaluable as the team evolves. Kane won't be moved, so check him off. Bogosian is likely in the same boat. After that, you can string together virtually any group of players and prospects from this organization, and it won't be gutted.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I think McDavid is going to be better than Crosby and I don't think our guys are destined to be as good as the players you mentioned, so it's Not a fair comparison in my mind.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Yep. And it's not like anyone would give him up anyway. Eichel/Reinhart/Girgensons is a pretty darn good top 3 centers in 3-5 years. At that point you are adding experience vets, depth players and 6/7 dmen.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I remember when the Flyers went ape **** over Lindros and payed a massive price to the Nordiques/Avalanche. The Avs gladly robbed them and were able to build a Cup winning team thanks to the Flyers.

The prudent approach is to build around Eichel and Reinhart as others have already stated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad