Getting a players name on a jersey in a design they never played in, fair or foul?

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Let's say you wanted to purchase a jersey of a player who is now retired and you want their name and number to be on the back of your favorite teams current uniform. Is that a jersey foul or not, so the question is should you purchase the jersey which that player played in or not? For example let's say I wanted a Doug Gilmour Leafs jerseys. Would you purchase one from the era he played with the Leafs or get it on their current uniform design which he never played in?

It's a foul because CCM makes official customizable vintage jersey replicas for those fans who want a brand new one of a past era player and those are the ones I would purchase.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
You know what's worse than wearing a name on a jersey from the "wrong" era? Giving a ****.

Seriously, if this bothers you in any way there is something wrong with you. Care less about what people choose to wear and more about things that actually matter in life. This is about as dumb as the people who feel like you can't wear a jersey for a team that isn't playing to a game. **** that, wear whatever makes you happy.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
You know what's worse than wearing a name on a jersey from the "wrong" era? Giving a ****.

Seriously, if this bothers you in any way there is something wrong with you. Care less about what people choose to wear and more about things that actually matter in life. This is about as dumb as the people who feel like you can't wear a jersey for a team that isn't playing to a game. **** that, wear whatever makes you happy.

You don't to tell people not to give a **** in the middle of a diatribe about... people complaining. :laugh:

If people weighing in on jersey fouls bothers you there is something wrong with you.

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
I was gifted a Mike Modano jersey in the current Stars' victory green for my birthday, then my son was given a Tyler Seguin jersey in the Stars' black RBK Edge jersey (moms/grandmothers try so hard...). He's too young to know Seggy never played in the black jersey, and Modano actually did a few publicity events for the Stars while wearing the victory green sweater, so I don't see it as a huge issue.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I've heard that you can't get nameplates put onto the old Koho jerseys anymore, the NHL doesn't allow it or something with the licensing being expired. As you can tell from my vague understanding, I heard this through the grapevine, so no idea as to its truth.

Can anyone provide some clarity?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What about getting a retired players name on a jersey a team only used once? For example I have seen other people selling the Maple Leafs 2014 Winter Classic jerseys with Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark and Mats Sundin's name and number on the backs of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad