Getting a players name on a jersey in a design they never played in, fair or foul?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Definitely a foul for me. For example, I could never get a Gretzky jersey in the copper/navy era. Just wrong..

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I thought I was the only one who thought about this... finding an 05-07 era Sundin Jersey is next to impossible but I'd never consider putting Sundin on the back of these new jerseys.
Unless you want the RBK jersey from that time, the logo and design of those Leafs jersey is sold on eBay. Worst case I still see it being sold under the CCM or Koho brand.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Can you even get Koho jerseys anymore?

AW **** YEAH KOHO MY BOY.

Thanks for reminding me of Koho. Anyway, absolutely putrid. I was even weirded out at the 2010 alum game that Lindros was wearing the throwback style Flyers jersey they now wear. Doesn't look correct:

lindroswinterclassic.jpg

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Why would you ever care what anyone else thinks about a shirt? It's a shirt, your shirt: do whatever you want with it! Just don't be one of those goofs who wears #69 and thinks they're funny as a result.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
In somewhat ambivalent about the subject. I think it's a jersey foul in most cases, but sometimes it's not so bad.

I saw a Tavares fisherman jersey, and it gave me a laugh. I thought it was kinda cool honestly.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
In somewhat ambivalent about the subject. I think it's a jersey foul in most cases, but sometimes it's not so bad.

I saw a Tavares fisherman jersey, and it gave me a laugh. I thought it was kinda cool honestly.

Exactly how I feel, few exceptions to the rule. I'd have the same reaction to that Tavares jersey as I would a Burger King Doughty or Kopitar jersey.

I find most to be scared but ridiculous stuff like the above works for me.

I'm a Habs fan but could appreciate a Marchand Winnie the Pooh jersey.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's still a tribute to the player, if I was a retired NHLer and someone had my name on a modern Jersey I would be flattered. So I call fair.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Why would you ever care what anyone else thinks about a shirt? It's a shirt, your shirt: do whatever you want with it! Just don't be one of those goofs who wears #69 and thinks they're funny as a result.

This.^^^ Anyone who wears 69 has a stack of Maxims, wears too much Axe, and has a sex life that is mostly hypothetical.

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
Foul. I mean, its your prerogative ... but still.

An uncle of mine has a navy Jets jersey from this era with Hawerchuk on the back. Looks so out of place!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Most definitely a foul. I've seen somebody at Hurricanes games wearing a New Storm jersey (our 2013-2017 jerseys) customized as a Ron Francis jersey and I just can't wrap my mind around it. Mind you, I acknowledge that I'm a little militant with regards to my jerseys (although I draw the line at being anal about which version of the Reebok logo appears on the back of the jersey) - but as we speak my wife is debating getting her Canes home jersey's nameplate changed from "J. STAAL" to just "STAAL" so she can add an NHL 100 patch to the jersey.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Ah. Jersey fouls. Where NHL hockey fans age 70 years, become more stuck-up than baseball writers, and shout "get off my lawn".

It's your Jersey, do what you want. I actually like the look of older jerseys but not gonna rip someone for wearing what they want.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Team fans like to build all time best rosters of players past and present. What uniform do they envision they all wear? Could you imagine a team like the Canucks, having used every colour of the rainbow in their history, have their greats each wearing their own jerseys. Would you want to see past greats playing the modern game in the inferior equipment they wore during their time as players too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad