Getting a players name on a jersey in a design they never played in, fair or foul?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say you wanted to purchase a jersey of a player who is now retired and you want their name and number to be on the back of your favorite teams current uniform. Is that a jersey foul or not, so the question is should you purchase the jersey which that player played in or not? For example let's say I wanted a Doug Gilmour Leafs jerseys. Would you purchase one from the era he played with the Leafs or get it on their current uniform design which he never played in?

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Personally, I would never do it, but I wouldn't care too much if someone else did.

Putting your own name on a jersey though, that's a different story.

Short answer: Yes it is a foul.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Many of the few Avalanche fans who still turn up to games seem to be wearing the recent blue thirds with Sakic and Roy on the back. Deviants, the lot of them.

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
Let's say you wanted to purchase a jersey of a player who is now retired and you want their name and number to be on the back of your favorite teams current uniform. Is that a jersey foul or not, so the question is should you purchase the jersey which that player played in or not? For example let's say I wanted a Doug Gilmour Leafs jerseys. Would you purchase one from the era he played with the Leafs or get it on their current uniform design which he never played in?

Seems fine to me.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It seems to be considered a foul by most jersey collectors, but ultimately it's your call.

I'm not a Leafs jersey expert (for obvious reasons...) so I don't know if there was any minor variances throughout the years, but you can probably find a 90s blank CCM Ultrafil authentic on eBay for a similar price point as a crappy Premier blank (130) would cost new and send it to someone like EPS or Keeners to get done up as a Gilmour. A Leafs collector could probably tell you the best place to go specifically for their 90s kits.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Slight foul, for most of the population they wouldn't notice.

I'm particular, I like to have the years right. Nice thing is that you can get the older blanks on eBay for a pretty nice price. I might look to go that route if you're going for an older player. Could end up cheaper than buying a newer style jersey with the customization.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
People can do whatever they want, but I just don't understand why someone would put an old player name on a new jersey.

Sometimes the teams just have ugly jerseys for that time period.

Nucks for example have extremely dated spaghetti plate jerseys during the Bure era.

I think it's fair. The Leafs new jerseys look a lot better aesthetically and if Gilmour is your fav player why not get his name plate?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You could argue if a player has appeared in an on-ice ceremony or been given a new jersey to wear for a team event with his name on it since retirement it makes it ok but nah, I wouldn't do it.

I would love to get a Brad Park Bruins jersey but it will have to be in the early 80's style.

But in the end.....who cares, right?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It seems to be considered a foul by most jersey collectors, but ultimately it's your call.
Someone who works at sports collectables store I go to told me when it comes to autographed jerseys they sell, they like to sell them in the design that player played in. For example even though the Penguins brought back their jersey design they had when winning the Stanley Cup in 1991 and 1992, they wouldn't sell his autograph on the current Penguins jerseys.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC

I thought I was the only one who thought about this... finding an 05-07 era Sundin Jersey is next to impossible but I'd never consider putting Sundin on the back of these new jerseys.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

I would say it's never wrong to honor players who played for that organization. So, as long it's the team he played for, I don't see it as a major foul in that regards. I mean if one can get newer t-shirts with those players, why not jerseys.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Sometimes the teams just have ugly jerseys for that time period.

Nucks for example have extremely dated spaghetti plate jerseys during the Bure era.

I think it's fair. The Leafs new jerseys look a lot better aesthetically and if Gilmour is your fav player why not get his name plate?

canucks_213.jpg

This just doesn't make sense. He played exactly between the two eras this logo was in use. It's just tacky and honestly makes the wearer look ignorant.

The spaghetti plate jersey is gorgeous by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad