Recalled/Assigned: Get Out Your Parkas... There's a Frost Warning (Morgan Frost Recalled 11/18)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost is pretty much as advertised, exciting player who goes MIA for stretches, he's improved defensively but still has some head scratching turnovers. He certainly adds a valuable dimension to this team, but I'd be wary of putting too much on his plate this season, he needs to get used to NHL speed and windows.

Getting Hayes closer to 100% will help Frost, as he can settle into a 3C role and not feel the pressure to live up to the hype.
And if he can be a solid 3C, it allows Laughton to stay at LW, where he just seems more comfortable without the demands of playing center.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I thought Giroux was the most creative passer, I think Frost has a ways to go to approach G.
Or have you already thrown him into the dumpster? :sarcasm:

Creative playmaking and avoiding bad turnovers are not mutually exclusive - it's just a matter of pattern recognition and knowing when a window is closing. There are no Russian judges to impress, they don't give you extra goals for creativity. The object is to make plays for your team, not the opponent.

The one thing I hope Yeo cures on this team are "blind passes," too often I see a Flyer passing to an area instead of a player, or make a pass blindly with their head down instead of calming surveying the ice. This is just as bad as the reflex "off the boards" pass out of the D-zone that teams now pinch and intercept on a regular basis. You're allowed to look at where you're going to pass the puck, and even note where the opposing players are on the ice.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I thought Giroux was the most creative passer, I think Frost has a ways to go to approach G.
Or have you already thrown him into the dumpster? :sarcasm:

Creative playmaking and avoiding bad turnovers are not mutually exclusive - it's just a matter of pattern recognition and knowing when a window is closing. There are no Russian judges to impress, they don't give you extra goals for creativity. The object is to make plays for your team, not the opponent.

The one thing I hope Yeo cures on this team are "blind passes," too often I see a Flyer passing to an area instead of a player, or make a pass blindly with their head down instead of calming surveying the ice. This is just as bad as the reflex "off the boards" pass out of the D-zone that teams now pinch and intercept on a regular basis. You're allowed to look at where you're going to pass the puck, and even note where the opposing players are on the ice.

Frost has been more creative than Giroux in transition these last several games. Which has been really ideal for controlled entry. His backhand passing is better than any we've seen in a long time, and the angles he's passed to accurately backhanded are nuts.

These are the cute skills your boys Fletcher and Flahr want to eliminate from his game in their quest to make him yet another bland, boring, "safe" player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One thing Frost doesn't have now, and which may be the difference between him being a top six player or a middle six player, is figuring out space at the NHL level.

He also hesitates a lot, like he's not sure whether he can make the play.
That will come with experience.
But being "safe" doesn't mean you can't be creative, it just means "a man's got to know his limitations."

The windows are smaller and the players are smarter - i.e. if you have a "tell" on your passes, opposing players will study film, recognize your tendencies and jump your passes. You have to recognize how the play is developing, not just the man you want to pass to, but which defender is capable of jumping the passing lane - and "he who hesitates is lost." So you have to process quickly.

Smart players play the odds, they don't push their luck, try and make low percentage plays and turn the puck over.
Sometimes the smart thing is to keep the cycle going and hope for another opportunity to make a play.
Where experience matters is recognizing what is a low percentage play v a prime scoring opportunity.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He also hesitates a lot, like he's not sure whether he can make the play.
That will come with experience.
But being "safe" doesn't mean you can't be creative, it just means "a man's got to know his limitations."

The windows are smaller and the players are smarter - i.e. if you have a "tell" on your passes, opposing players will study film, recognize your tendencies and jump your passes. You have to recognize how the play is developing, not just the man you want to pass to, but which defender is capable of jumping the passing lane - and "he who hesitates is lost." So you have to process quickly.

Smart players play the odds, they don't push their luck, try and make low percentage plays and turn the puck over.
Sometimes the smart thing is to keep the cycle going and hope for another opportunity to make a play.
Where experience matters is recognizing what is a low percentage play v a prime scoring opportunity.

I suspect the hesitation is still adjusting to NHL time and space. Or I hope it is. I'm not sure I need two Hayesbrains

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Frost is pretty much as advertised, exciting player who goes MIA for stretches, he's improved defensively but still has some head scratching turnovers. He certainly adds a valuable dimension to this team, but I'd be wary of putting too much on his plate this season, he needs to get used to NHL speed and windows.

Getting Hayes closer to 100% will help Frost, as he can settle into a 3C role and not feel the pressure to live up to the hype.
And if he can be a solid 3C, it allows Laughton to stay at LW, where he just seems more comfortable without the demands of playing center.
WHAT HYPE??? If you try to be creative you will have more turnovers. Hayes isnt creative and slow and makes turnovers. Tell me who is better!

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Am I the only one who see's Mike Ribiero when I watch Frost play as in he's really slick like him lol? He's clearly really talented, but as a lot of people said he needs to work on taking and knowing space better. That will only come by playing in the NHL not playing in the AHL, hopefully he figures it all out he could be a really valuable piece to help with the rebuild.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There was a play on the PP the other day where Frost was hit on a slingshot, and he just effortlessly got across the blue line and around a defender, then could've juked another defender, but you could see the wheels turning: "Oh, better not make a skilled play. Play it safe. What's safe? Uh, chip into the corner?" Like it looked so unnatural for a highly skilled player like Frost. But yet, it had the oh so natural look of "Flyers Development." No chance in hell his hockey sense told him that was the best play.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There was a play on the PP the other day where Frost was hit on a slingshot, and he just effortlessly got across the blue line and around a defender, then could've juked another defender, but you could see the wheels turning: "Oh, better not make a skilled play. Play it safe. What's safe? Uh, chip into the corner?" Like it looked so unnatural for a highly skilled player like Frost. But yet, it had the oh so natural look of "Flyers Development." No chance in hell his hockey sense told him that was the best play.

Now let's imagine the amount of fleshmetal shavings in Couturier's skull while playing an anti-possession, anti-defense system.

He may not have any gears left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad