German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Dominik Bokk - a still very small and light player who has put up almost eye-popping offensive numbers in the DNL - for a 16-year old. Cologne is one of the better clubs in that currently watered down league.

Alberg: He's only 14 and isn't playing in any type of league that'd be indicative in one way or another. It'll be a long time until we have any idea of his true status. Let's just see if he's in the U16 within the next two years. Especially between the ages of 13-16, it's often AMAZING how much a young man going through puberty can change - for better or worse.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The Championship tournament of the DNL will be streamed live on sportdeutschland.tv, starting on Sunday.

The following teams have qualified:

Group A
Jungadler Mannheim
Krefelder EV
EC Bad Tölz

Group B
Kölner EC
Düsseldorfer EG
Eisbären Juniors

Mannheim and Köln should be the favourites.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
^ Nice, I could see Ratmann having a good chance at the 2017 draft. I watched a couple games, and the kid is good. He has a nice pair of hands, and good passing. He's 6'1 and 157 pounds, if he can get his weight up a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if a CHL team picked him up.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Next season there will be some changes in the German youth leagues:

DNL:
There wil be 16 teams instead of 12. Iserlohn, Dresden, Ingolstadt and Schwenningen will be added to the league. These 16 teams will be divided in two groups. The red group will include the top 8 teams while the blue group will have the bottom 8 teams.
For next season the teams of Mannhein, Köln, Berlin and Bad Tölz are seeded for the red group and the 4 new teams are seeded into the blue group.
The remaining 8 teams (Augsburg, Düsseldorf, Kaufbeuren, Landshut, Regensburg, Hamburg, Krefeld and Rosenheim) will play a qualification round before the start of the 16/17 season to determine who will join the red group and who will play in the blue group.

DNL2:
The south division will add 3 teams (Ravensburg, Deggendorf and Heilbronn)

Schüler BL:
Here will also 3 teams be added (Ravensburg, München and Nürnberg)

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I only recently noticed, that I had forgotten the last update with the final stats from the end of the season.
Now I finally finished the last update.

I also think about making a few changes for next season. Instead of grouping the players by draft year I might group them by birth year since the cut off date in German juniors is not September 15th, but December 31st.
That would make the stats within each group more comparable.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I remember that German hockey federation said they had plans for maybe a future development national team, any word or update if it will be implemented soon or even at all?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
There's been no word I've seen about making a USNTDP team like the i.e. the USA or even a U20 Team Orange like in Slovakia.

However, there was an article this week the the 3rd league, Oberliga Süd, is entertaining the thought of having a U20 team in their circuit consisting not only of Germans, but also Austrian players. They'd look to get a bit of an all-star group between the two countries together for such a team.

There would be complications, so no word yet on that.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
^ Nice, I could see Ratmann having a good chance at the 2017 draft. I watched a couple games, and the kid is good. He has a nice pair of hands, and good passing. He's 6'1 and 157 pounds, if he can get his weight up a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if a CHL team picked him up.

Here's my report on Ratmann, really liked him this year. I know at least one CHL team's got an eye on him, hard to say if he'll be picked, though.

image.png

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Has a player ever been drafted from the DNL? Kind of disappointing as he supposedly is one of our best prospects for 2017.

I'm assuming he'll get some pro time as well, but he'll definitely start the season in the DNL. That's the way it usually goes and players like that have been drafted before. Mirko Höfflin, David Elsner, Jerome Flaake are the most recent ones I could find.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Has a player ever been drafted from the DNL? Kind of disappointing as he supposedly is one of our best prospects for 2017.
Phil Grubauer is a product of Rosenheim's youth system and played DNL. :nod:
I guess there are a few more though.

I'm assuming he'll get some pro time as well, but he'll definitely start the season in the DNL. That's the way it usually goes and players like that have been drafted before.
Yep, he's not part of the first team but i'm sure he'll get some time on the 4th line. Injuries will happen and I guess he's one of the first "call-ups".

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Phil Grubauer is a product of Rosenheim's youth system and played DNL. :nod:
I guess there are a few more though.

Yep, he's not part of the first team but i'm sure he'll get some time on the 4th line. Injuries will happen and I guess he's one of the first "call-ups".

Most drafted players out of Germany have played in the DNL at some point.
But I think he meant players that played in the DNL in the year they were drafted. And that's not Grubauer. He was drafted in 2010 when he played in the OHL and won the Memorial Cup with Windsor.

Here is a list of German draftees since the inception of the DNL in 2000 and the league they played in when they were drafted:

2001:
Marcel Goc (DEL)
Christian Ehrhoff (DEL)
Dimitri Pätzold (2.BL)
Rob Zepp (OHL [Not German at that point])
Christoph Schubert (DEL)
Stefan Schauer (2.BL/DNL)
Dennis Seidenberg (DEL)
Robert Müller (DEL)

2003:
Alexander Sulzer (DEL/2.BL)
Patrick Ehelechner (DEL)
Kai Hospelt (DEL/DNL)
Eduard Lewandowski (DEL)

2004:
Darin Olver (NCAA [Not German at that point])
Thomas Greiss (DNL+1 DEL game)

2005:
Philip Gogulla (DEL)

2006:
Korbinian Holzer (2.BL)
Felix Schütz (QMJHL)
Constantin Braun (DEL/OL/DNL)
Justin Krüger (BCHL)

2007:
Timo Pielmeier (DNL)
Sebastian Stefaniszin (OL)
Denis Reul (OL/DNL)
Robert Dietrich (DEL)

2008:
Jerome Flaake (DEL/DNL)

2009:
Dominik Bielke (OL)

2010:
Tom Kühnhackl (2.BL)
Philipp Grubauer (OHL)
Mirko Höfflin (2.BL/DNL)
Konrad Abeltshauser (QMJHL)
Brooks Macek (WHL [Not German at that point])
David Elsner (2.BL/DNL)

2011:
Tobias Rieder (OHL)
Marcel Noebels (WHL)

2014:
Leon Draisaitl (WHL)

2015:
Frederik Tiffels (NCAA)

2016:
Manuel Wiederer (QMJHL)

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Most drafted players out of Germany have played in the DNL at some point.
But I think he meant players that played in the DNL in the year they were drafted. And that's not Grubauer. He was drafted in 2010 when he played in the OHL and won the Memorial Cup with Windsor.

Here is a list of German draftees since the inception of the DNL in 2000 and the league they played in when they were drafted:

2001:
Marcel Goc (DEL)
Christian Ehrhoff (DEL)
Dimitri Pätzold (2.BL)
Rob Zepp (OHL [Not German at that point])
Christoph Schubert (DEL)
Stefan Schauer (2.BL/DNL)
Dennis Seidenberg (DEL)
Robert Müller (DEL)

2003:
Alexander Sulzer (DEL/2.BL)
Patrick Ehelechner (DEL)
Kai Hospelt (DEL/DNL)
Eduard Lewandowski (DEL)

2004:
Darin Olver (NCAA [Not German at that point])
Thomas Greiss (DNL+1 DEL game)

2005:
Philip Gogulla (DEL)

2006:
Korbinian Holzer (2.BL)
Felix Schütz (QMJHL)
Constantin Braun (DEL/OL/DNL)
Justin Krüger (BCHL)

2007:
Timo Pielmeier (DNL)
Sebastian Stefaniszin (OL)
Denis Reul (OL/DNL)
Robert Dietrich (DEL)

2008:
Jerome Flaake (DEL/DNL)

2009:
Dominik Bielke (OL)

2010:
Tom Kühnhackl (2.BL)
Philipp Grubauer (OHL)
Mirko Höfflin (2.BL/DNL)
Konrad Abeltshauser (QMJHL)
Brooks Macek (WHL [Not German at that point])
David Elsner (2.BL/DNL)

2011:
Tobias Rieder (OHL)
Marcel Noebels (WHL)

2014:
Leon Draisaitl (WHL)

2015:
Frederik Tiffels (NCAA)

2016:
Manuel Wiederer (QMJHL)

Yes, I was referring to straight out of the DNL. As in played the entire year in the DNL and then got drafted.

Cool list, it seems like the north american route has been a really popular route for Germans over the past 10 years, compared to the early 2000s when almost everybody was drafted from Germany.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yes, I was referring to straight out of the DNL. As in played the entire year in the DNL and then got drafted.

Cool list, it seems like the north american route has been a really popular route for Germans over the past 10 years, compared to the early 2000s when almost everybody was drafted from Germany.

Yep, it's safe to say that NHL teams are very aware of how much the DNL lacks in comparison to its international competition (as recent U18s have also clearly attested to) and basically will only take a German talent truly seriously once he's strutted his stuff on North American - preferrably CHL - soil.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Guys, how good is the SCHÃœLER-BUNDESLIGA and DNL compared to other junior leagues ?

When Leon Draisaitl was 15, so Schüler Bundesliga age, he had 97 goals and 192 points in 29 games, if that answers the question.

At 16, he had 21 goals and 56 points in 35 games in the DNL. The next year, he recorded 21 goals and 58 points in 64 WHL games.

The Schüler Bundesliga is terrible, the DNL is far worse than Canadian junior leagues. The Schüler Bundesliga is an under-16 league but the good 16-year-olds already play in the DNL, so that's why it isn't a very good league.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
By the way, these are the DNL groups to start the season:

Group A:
Iserlohn
Düsseldorf
Bad Tölz
Ingolstadt
Krefeld
Rosenheim
Mannheim

Group B:
Dresden
Schwenningen
Augsburg
Köln
Landhut
Regensburg
Berlin
Kaufbeuren

I like group A because I'll hopefully get to see Mannheim and Rosenheim a bit that way. Don't like the system in general though.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad