German Players in North America

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I haven't seen Gawanke enough and didn't pay enough attention to him when I did see him play. But from what I've heard, not many had him on the radar.

I'm a bit bummed for Ratmann but it's not a surprise that he didn't get drafted. Germany nominates their teams by age group, so Ratmann wasn't nominated for the U18. That really hurt his stock. Playing in the CHL, he would've had NHL draft chances in 2017. But probably not so much playing in the DNL.

I actually like Gawanke a lot. I was a bit worried that he might be too small (then he was listed at 5'9'') but when I saw him at the WJC U18, I was surprised that he looked quite big out there and he played a pretty good tournament playing alongside Maximilian Adam.
I think he has a lot of potential, and it would be great if we could finally get another defenseman drafted.

I fully agree about Ratmann. I would have liked to see him at that tournament, and I think he is the best forward prospect along with Thomas Reichel for the 2017 draft, but both will not get a lot of exposure playing junior hockey in Germany, which will make things difficult for them.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
I actually like Gawanke a lot. I was a bit worried that he might be too small (then he was listed at 5'9'') but when I saw him at the WJC U18, I was surprised that he looked quite big out there and he played a pretty good tournament playing alongside Maximilian Adam.
I think he has a lot of potential, and it would be great if we could finally get another defenseman drafted.

Yeah I like Gawanke a lot too; he actually grew a since he was listed at 5 foot 9 at the WJC he was listed as 6 foot 1, and 181 pounds

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Leon Gawanke and Cedric Schiemenz both were drafted into the chl. Schiemenz I believe was already going to the USHL but I guess we'll wait ans see.

http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/2016/06/schiemenz-eager-to-join-rangers.html

German centre Cedric Schiemenz has chosen the OHL.

Now his agent just has to hammer out a deal with the Kitchener Rangers.

Schiemenz was Kitchener's first round pick in Tuesday's CHL import draft but had committed to play for the University of Maine.

Though grateful for their offer, the 17-year-old has since informed the school that he plans to play with the Rangers.

Landing at the Aud was a bit of a surprise for the Berlin native.

He expected to go to Portland or even Halifax but was excited to see Kitchener select him 47th overall in the draft.

The Rangers took Swedish winger Lias Andersson in the second round but it's expected that he'll remain in Sweden for now.

Scheimanz hopes to have a deal in place with the Rangers in the next week.

Caveman43

Sep 24, 2014
Kai Wissmann, Jonas Müller and Sven Ziegler participate in LA Kings Development Camp

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Where do you get that from? As far as I know he's only drafted by Des Moines but hasn't committed. Seemed like he was staying in Cologne last time I saw him.

Apparently the FB page I linked is his agents, and he said he'll be playing for them next season, I easily could be wrong though.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The only reference I could find about Ugbekile allegedly playing for Des Moines in the coming season was a post in another forum (Eishockey365) which read:
ISMA Klient Colin Ugbekile aus Köln spielt nächste Saison für Des Moines Buccaneers in der USHL

That post was made on July 4th and nothing has been added to the discussion since.

Also as far as I know Ugbekile was never drafted by any USHL team.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
The only reference I could find about Ugbekile allegedly playing for Des Moines in the coming season was a post in another forum (Eishockey365) which read:

That post was made on July 4th and nothing has been added to the discussion since.

Same thing on the FB page

ISMA Klient Colin Ugbekile aus Köln spielt nächste Saison für Des Moines Buccaneers in der USHL

Lean Bergmann wasn't drafted either.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.

He was drafted by Des Moines for sure. But never committed as far as I know. It's probably a misinterpretation with someone thinking that being drafted equals playing there.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
He was drafted by Des Moines for sure. But never committed as far as I know. It's probably a misinterpretation with someone thinking that being drafted equals playing there.

Can you give me a link to any source for this? Because I looked at every recap for USHL drafts for the last few years and not in a single one is Ugbekile listed as a draft pick by Des Moines or any other team.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Can you give me a link to any source for this? Because I looked at every recap for USHL drafts for the last few years and not in a single one is Ugbekile listed as a draft pick by Des Moines or any other team.

Okay forget about it. Must've seen it in a weird random place and it wasn't true. No idea why people come up with this stuff.

As I said, when I last saw him at a preseason game, it seemed like he was staying with Cologne. Must be false news.

Sorry!!

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Okay forget about it. Must've seen it in a weird random place and it wasn't true. No idea why people come up with this stuff.

As I said, when I last saw him at a preseason game, it seemed like he was staying with Cologne. Must be false news.

Sorry!!

No Problem, I'm just glad I didn't miss it somehow.
Maybe he was invited to a training camp in Des Moines or something and somebody thought he was drafted by them.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I have updated the OP.
I added Ugbekile and Kopp and removed Wiederer.

Also added information about when each player's team plays their next game.
Sometimes when there are schedule adjustments during the season, I might miss them, but hopefully I'll be able to keep the information up to date.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
I have updated the OP.
I added Ugbekile and Kopp and removed Wiederer.

Also added information about when each player's team plays their next game.
Sometimes when there are schedule adjustments during the season, I might miss them, but hopefully I'll be able to keep the information up to date.

Wiederer will be back in Moncton this year.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Gawanke and Schiemenz both had very strong preseasons. I know it's only preseason but still a very good sign. Hopefully they can keep it up in the regular season and have a chance at the 2017 draft.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Take the dates in the next game column with a grain of salt. Since all the websites for these leagues changed their design, the dates in the schedules are all messed up for me, because they now have the dates when the games are played based on CET, but not all of them. it is really confusing, so sometimes I might get the wrong date (one day behind).

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
It's Thursday and I'm bored so I'll do a pre-season top 5 for Germans in 2017 NHL draft.

1. Cedric Schiemenz

I saw his stats last year, he put up a lot of points for Red Bull Salzburg U-18, but with no way in seeing him actually play I just kept an eye on him. Then he got drafted this summer by the Kitchener Rangers the same team that drafted fellow German Tobias Rieder. He came into preseason and he tore it up with Kitchener. Racking up 7 points in 4 games. I know it's only preseason however, he showed off that he is really good at skating and very fast. He is crafty when it comes to his play making abilities and sees the ice very well. The problem is he is relatively small weighing only at 160 at 5'11. He has generated some hype from Brock Otten and Brenden Ross of TheScout.ca. If he has a good season he could easily be drafted.

2. Lean Bergmann

He is a fast RW for the Sioux Falls Stampede, with a bit of skill, and knows how to grind the net. Reminded me a lot of Tobias Rieder when I watched him play (less defensively gifted). He hasn't been really noticed by anyone yet, which is possibly because he hasn't been playing for the German international team. He put up 12 points in 28 games last season in the USHL, and might surprise a few this year by sneaking into the draft.

3. Thomas Reichel

I was tempted to put him at number 2 as for many he is the number #1 German prospect from Germany going into this draft. Reichel hasn't done his best so far in the DNL this year, but once he finds his form he could start racking up lots of points. He also chance to be called up to the Rosenheim team in the DEL 2. Reichel possesses great passing, and vision. He is also blessed that he is 6 foot 3 and has a large frame. Hopefully he can start to impress more in the DNL, and do great at the world juniors.

4. Benjamin Beck

The 6 ft 7 in Goalkeeper plays for Salzburg in Austria, and is committed to the University of Maine. While I've never seen him play, I think he could get a look with some scouts this year. Ben Bishop also went to the University of Maine and like Beck, they're both pretty tall. If he actually goes to Maine it very may well be the best for his development. I'd also like to mention 6'4" Wouter Peeters got drafted by the Blackhawks this year, and also played for Salzburg.

5. Leon Gawanke

Leon is great offensively and played fantastic in the DNL finals this year with Berlin. He moves the puck well and can run the power play. He was drafted over the summer by Cape Brenton of the Screaming Eagles. If he can adapt to the N.A. style of play he could have a good year. He head 2 assist in 2 games in the preseason with the screaming eagles.

Honorable Mentions: WOJCIECH STACHOWIAK, and Tobias Eder (OA)

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It's Thursday and I'm bored so I'll do a pre-season top 5 for Germans in 2017 NHL draft.

1. Cedric Schiemenz

I saw his stats last year, he put up a lot of points for Red Bull Salzburg U-18, but with no way in seeing him actually play I just kept an eye on him. Then he got drafted this summer by the Kitchener Rangers the same team that drafted fellow German Tobias Rieder. He came into preseason and he tore it up with Kitchener. Racking up 7 points in 4 games. I know it's only preseason however, he showed off that he is really good at skating and very fast. He is crafty when it comes to his play making abilities and sees the ice very well. The problem is he is relatively small weighing only at 160 at 5'11. He has generated some hype from Brock Otten and Brenden Ross of TheScout.ca. If he has a good season he could easily be drafted.

2. Lean Bergmann

He is a fast RW for the Sioux Falls Stampede, with a bit of skill, and knows how to grind the net. Reminded me a lot of Tobias Rieder when I watched him play (less defensively gifted). He hasn't been really noticed by anyone yet, which is possibly because he hasn't been playing for the German international team. He put up 12 points in 28 games last season in the USHL, and might surprise a few this year by sneaking into the draft.

3. Thomas Reichel

I was tempted to put him at number 2 as for many he is the number #1 German prospect from Germany going into this draft. Reichel hasn't done his best so far in the DNL this year, but once he finds his form he could start racking up lots of points. He also chance to be called up to the Rosenheim team in the DEL 2. Reichel possesses great passing, and vision. He is also blessed that he is 6 foot 3 and has a large frame. Hopefully he can start to impress more in the DNL, and do great at the world juniors.

4. Benjamin Beck

The 6 ft 7 in Goalkeeper plays for Salzburg in Austria, and is committed to the University of Maine. While I've never seen him play, I think he could get a look with some scouts this year. Ben Bishop also went to the University of Maine and like Beck, they're both pretty tall. If he actually goes to Maine it very may well be the best for his development. I'd also like to mention 6'4" Wouter Peeters got drafted by the Blackhawks this year, and also played for Salzburg.

5. Leon Gawanke

Leon is great offensively and played fantastic in the DNL finals this year with Berlin. He moves the puck well and can run the power play. He was drafted over the summer by Cape Brenton of the Screaming Eagles. If he can adapt to the N.A. style of play he could have a good year. He head 2 assist in 2 games in the preseason with the screaming eagles.

Honorable Mentions: WOJCIECH STACHOWIAK, and Tobias Eder (OA)

You should be bored more often. ;)

Thanks for the write up.
I have not seen them play as many times as you, I would guess, but I'll add my two cents anyway.

I am a little higher on Gawanke and Reichel than Bergmann and especially Beck, who would not crack my Top 5 but be an honorable mention instead.
He would be replaced in my Top 5 by either Stachowiak or Marvin Ratmann, who should not be overlooked.
Another kid that I like since I have seen him play a few times for both Mannheim and Germany in August and September, is Marius Ewald, although I still like to see more before I put them up there with the other ones mentioned.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
So far, I've actually been really disappointed by Reichel, especially because it looks like he does everything in slow motion. Such a slow skater. He seems to switch into turbo mode for a few seconds at random times, but usually just skates around with half speed. Sloppy skater too.
Great vision and passing skills for sure. But at this point, I wouldn't use an NHL draft pick on him.

As you might know by now, I'm actually higher on Marvin Ratmann. But a) he doesn't seem to be getting any recognition by the DEB and b) he's injured now, which certainly doesn't help...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad