German Players in North America

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Tommy Pasanen was the only German player drafted in the first phase of the USHL Entry Draft (only players born in 2001 were eligible).
Usually German prospects are selected in the second phase, which takes place today, where older players are also eligible.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Nicolas Appendino picked 67th by Des Moines. The Buccaneers sure like their German imports.

I can see him succeeding there, just won't make it to the NHL with that size.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Nicolas Appendino picked 67th by Des Moines. The Buccaneers sure like their German imports.

I can see him succeeding there, just won't make it to the NHL with that size.

I was shocked to see him listed at 5'10'' on the draft board (he's listed at 5'7'' on eliteprospects). While I am sure he as grown a little and the eliteprospects listing might be not totally accurate anymore, I doubt he really is 5'10''.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Pasanen, Appendino, Selivanov, Pantowski, Alexandrov, seems the immigrants kids are leading the way in German hockey.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Well it's time for the draft and it's looking like one, maybe two Germans will be drafted. Gawanke and Stachowiak. I think maybe beck or an overager like Napravnik have a slight chance at getting drafted as well. Schiemenz and Bergmann both were pretty disappointing to me. Bergmann had discipline problems all year and schiemenz wasn't strong or fast enough yet.

Then again I'm not all to concerned about how this year when considering the past two years. 2018 is still looking like like a lot more fun.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Still hoping the Oilers will select Gawanke, RHD, good size and a pretty decent rookie season in NA.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Gawanke drafted by the Jets.

His stats look pretty solid. Since he's a D-man, he'll most likely still play in the Q, will he?

How big is the chance that he success in the NHL? Is there even a chance for a 'Hoff 2.0?

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
His stats look pretty solid. Since he's a D-man, he'll most likely still play in the Q, will he?

How big is the chance that he success in the NHL? Is there even a chance for a 'Hoff 2.0?

Yes it's expected he'll play in the Q next year. His chances of making the NHL are not exceptional just like every other 5th round pick. He could very much end up as good as Ehrhoff(it's not likely), he's an offensive defenseman after all. However, Gawanke still needs to touch up on his skating, physicality, and positional play. I don't think he'll end up as good as Ehrhoff but I could see gawanke in the number 3-4 defenseman on a team.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

I think his ceiling is Sabres-Hoff, but I'd say it's more likely that his career follows a similar trajectory as Abeltshauser's.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Can't find him on the camp roster, but Jakob Mayenschein was invited apparently.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/islanders-mini-camp-roster/c-290097084

Daniel Fischbuch and Kai Wissmann invited by the Kings.

Talking about main camp. He attended their development camp a while back but has since become one of Germany's top players. No need to go back to development camp again. Go big or go home this year.

Can't believe Daniel Fischbuch is attending an NHL camp, but that's what the cooperation with Berlin does...

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Talking about main camp. He attended their development camp a while back but has since become one of Germany's top players. No need to go back to development camp again. Go big or go home this year.

Can't believe Daniel Fischbuch is attending an NHL camp, but that's what the cooperation with Berlin does...

Ok. All those camps are confusing. :laugh:

Fischbuch had sort of a break out season, although he cooled off after a really hot start.
And yes, without the cooperation he would never have been invited to this camp, but since they have this cooperation going on, there were really not a lot of options, especially if they wanted a forward.

I guess he is just a warm body, like Maximilian Kastner was last year for the Islanders.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Yes it's expected he'll play in the Q next year. His chances of making the NHL are not exceptional just like every other 5th round pick. He could very much end up as good as Ehrhoff(it's not likely), he's an offensive defenseman after all. However, Gawanke still needs to touch up on his skating, physicality, and positional play. I don't think he'll end up as good as Ehrhoff but I could see gawanke in the number 3-4 defenseman on a team.

Thanks for your insight!

I think his ceiling is Sabres-Hoff, but I'd say it's more likely that his career follows a similar trajectory as Abeltshauser's.

Thank you.

Speaking of Abeltshauser: what was the main thing that held him back of going professional in NA? I mean his path in juniors was pretty good, he even was the captain of Halifax, and he didn't lack size or weight. Is there a chance for him to go back to NA?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Speaking of Abeltshauser: what was the main thing that held him back of going professional in NA? I mean his path in juniors was pretty good, he even was the captain of Halifax, and he didn't lack size or weight. Is there a chance for him to go back to NA?

I am not sure. I remember there were a lot of complains about his lack of physicality and that he didn't really use his size as well as he should.

And I read in the Sharks forum back then that there was some discord between Abeltshauser and the AHL coaching staff in Worcester back then.
This is just hearsay, but apparently he felt that he wasn't getting enough ice time, and they could not work it out.

But again this is a) just hearsay and b) from memory and I am not sure if the old threads are still there so I don't know if I or anyone can go back and check.

As for him going back to NA. I like him a lot, but I don't really see it, unless he takes another couple of big steps and gets a lot more physical, because I cannot really see him succeeding in a #5/#6 role.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Thanks for your insight!

Thank you.

He just couldn't prove himself in the AHL and was even demoted to the ECHL for a while in 2014-15. He may have been named top defenceman in the DEL this year, but watching him in the world championship, he definitely didn't look like a guy with NHL upside. What stood out the most to me there were his terribly inaccurate breakout passes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->