German Players in North America

Hoppyness

Apr 16, 2016
Hi Maverick, thanks for providing the player stats. Is it possible to mark the players that are eliminated from the play offs? Thanks in advance.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I am a little late posting this, but Timo Walther was in Cedar Rapids (USHL) Tryout camp a couple weeks back. He looked pretty good and was selected in the NAHL draft the Tuesday after. Looks like he is trying to come to the US to play

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
So the NHL draft is tomorrow and I think Wiederer basically has a 100% chance of being drafted, Eder might has a little less of a chance; but his chances are still very good. While Players like Kislinger, Kalble, and Kiefersauer all have a very low chances of getting picked.

Who do you guys think get drafted on Saturday?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So the NHL draft is tomorrow and I think Wiederer basically has a 100% chance of being drafted, Eder might has a little less of a chance; but his chances are still very good. While Players like Kislinger, Kalble, and Kiefersauer all have a very low chances of getting picked.

Who do you guys think get drafted on Saturday?

I mostly agree with you, although I think both Eder and Wiederer have about a 90% chance to be drafted (probably in the 6th or 7th round, 5th at best).
I would add Simon Schütz and Maximilian Adam to your list of players with an outside chance of being drafted.

kaz

Mar 27, 2014
If he does he will have a problem with the physical part of the game. Alot of young German players have went that way and packed it in after a short time. You need to be tough. He lacks on that part of the game but if he wants it bad enough he will learn.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
If he does he will have a problem with the physical part of the game. Alot of young German players have went that way and packed it in after a short time. You need to be tough. He lacks on that part of the game but if he wants it bad enough he will learn.

On the other hand those that stayed in Germany, have rarely got a chance to make it later on.

Markus Eisenschmid went over after not being drafted and while he never was, he earned an AHL contract and we'll have to wait and see where it leads.
It went the same way for Mathias Niederberger, who ultimately returned to Germany.

It seems that NHL teams will not draft German players out of Germany. If they draft anyone at all, he has to have proven himself in North America. And why not, there is not a lot of teams that even look at the German market, so you might as well wait and see how players develop and just sign them as free agents for little money and give them a try. Not that this has really worked out for players or teams so far (Wolf, Plachta, Treutle).

Personally I feel our best prospects have to go to North America to improve their chances (albeit slightly) to make it to the NHL.

As far as the physical aspect of the game is concerned it should not be a problem if he plays junior hockey over there. It's not all that physical. More than German junior hockey for sure, but not (much) more than Oberliga hockey in Germany which Eder has been playing rather well.
He would definitely not be ready for the AHL, but CHL would not be a problem just because of physicality. There may be other factors that could contribute to it not working out for him, but those are risks with every prospect leaving behind his home at a young age to go to another country.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
So will Eder go the NA to improve his chances of being taken as an overager next year?

Well first he has to decide if he just wants to become a DEL player or take a chance at the NHL, because if he stays in Germany I can't seem him getting to NA. If he does go to the CHL I think he can do exactly what Wiederer did and get drafted as an orverager.

kaz

Mar 27, 2014
@Munchkin10 the CHL is harder then the DNL, DEL or DEL2, when it comes to body contact. Check penalty minutes out.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
@Munchkin10 the CHL is harder then the DNL, DEL or DEL2, when it comes to body contact. Check penalty minutes out.

I am not sure using penalty minutes as a way to determine the physicality of play in a league is a real conclusive way to do that. At best they can give an indication and that is hardly enough to make such a claim.

I am not sold that playing against kids the same age or younger (a few older ones as well) is more physically demanding that playing against grown men, even IF there was more body contact in the former case.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Leon Gawanke and Cedric Schiemenz both were drafted into the chl. Schiemenz I believe was already going to the USHL but I guess we'll wait ans see.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Matthias Plachta did not receive a qualifying offer from the Penguins and will become a UFA. I guess he will be coming home for next season.
Same goes for Treutle in Arizona.

Last edited:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Leon Gawanke and Cedric Schiemenz both were drafted into the chl. Schiemenz I believe was already going to the USHL but I guess we'll wait ans see.

I haven't seen Gawanke enough and didn't pay enough attention to him when I did see him play. But from what I've heard, not many had him on the radar.

I'm a bit bummed for Ratmann but it's not a surprise that he didn't get drafted. Germany nominates their teams by age group, so Ratmann wasn't nominated for the U18. That really hurt his stock. Playing in the CHL, he would've had NHL draft chances in 2017. But probably not so much playing in the DNL.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
I haven't seen Gawanke enough and didn't pay enough attention to him when I did see him play. But from what I've heard, not many had him on the radar.

I'm a bit bummed for Ratmann but it's not a surprise that he didn't get drafted. Germany nominates their teams by age group, so Ratmann wasn't nominated for the U18. That really hurt his stock. Playing in the CHL, he would've had NHL draft chances in 2017. But probably not so much playing in the DNL.

That sucks but honestly the best player going into 2017 from what I can tell right now is probably Bergmann. With Gawanke and Schiemenz we'll just have to see how they adjust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad