German Players in North America - 2013/14

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
dominik tiffels -> minnesota wilderness (NAHL)
janik möser -> muskegon lumberjacks (USHL)
tuomie parker -> wenatchee wild (NAHL)
lukas laub -> odessa jackalopes (NAHL)
marcel kurth -> des moines buccaneers (USHL)
markus eisenschmid -> medicine hat tigers (WHL)
lennart palausch -> aberdeen wings (NAHL)

draisaitl, kahun and f.tiffels staying with their team

source: http://www.deb-online.de/index.php/...ei-summer-hockey-challenge-in-poprad-svk.html

Thank you for the information. Although I am a little confused by some of it. Especially Möser who was drafted by another team and I cannot find any info about this transaction anywhere. And Frederik Tiffels who is listed as a Muskegon Lumberjack as the year before but also at Western Michigan. I don't know how this cooperation between the NCAA and the USHL works, so I have no idea where he will actually play as of yet. I'll make some adjustments in the OP, but I do not fully trust the source.
By that I don't mean zecke, but the DEB obviously. ;)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Thank you for the information. Although I am a little confused by some of it. Especially Möser who was drafted by another team and I cannot find any info about this transaction anywhere. And Frederik Tiffels who is listed as a Muskegon Lumberjack as the year before but also at Western Michigan. I don't know how this cooperation between the NCAA and the USHL works, so I have no idea where he will actually play as of yet. I'll make some adjustments in the OP, but I do not fully trust the source.
By that I don't mean zecke, but the DEB obviously. ;)

im assume they probably mix up old and new teams. the NAHL are obviously new teams.

as for tiffels, i think he wanted to play college, so could be old team listed there, but could also mean he's waiting for another year.

as usual the DEB is a mess.

i assume we won't get final confirmation on USHL/NAHL/NCAA stuff until after the camps in september. but it looks like a lot of german kids cross the pond.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
im assume they probably mix up old and new teams. the NAHL are obviously new teams.

as for tiffels, i think he wanted to play college, so could be old team listed there, but could also mean he's waiting for another year.

as usual the DEB is a mess.

i assume we won't get final confirmation on USHL/NAHL/NCAA stuff until after the camps in september. but it looks like a lot of german kids cross the pond.

Yes, and I like it, because, even if they don't make it all the way they almost always seem to be getting better playing there.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can't believe Kahun wasn't picked in the 6th or 7th round. The kid is going to tear up the OHL next season.

There were several smaller forwards available in this draft who didn't get taken and it left a number of people scratching their heads.

Ikonen and Arvidsson were two others.

This said, the fact that you only have a 2 year retainment period on draftees and that many guys can just be signed later in their early to mid 20s as UFAs has a lot of teams thinking they'll just sit back with a 'wait and see' approach when it comes to this smaller, sleaker players.

This said, Kahun has some goods and I'd be shocked if teams don't look at him as a possible AHL signing in the near future. Actually, a big 13-14 season will likely see him get drafted. In addition, he and Draisaitl will be pairing up for every tournament possible this year, so he'll continue to be watched internationally.

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
It's great to see so many young german players going to NA. Not counting Draisaitl and possibly Kahun who do you think could be drafted next year?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It looks like Andreas Eder might not be playing for Vancouver this season, since both import spots are already taken. So I guess he might stay another year in Germany, unless he finds some other team.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It looks like Andreas Eder might not be playing for Vancouver this season, since both import spots are already taken. So I guess he might stay another year in Germany, unless he finds some other team.

And with that, he'll be Germany's top draft prospect for the upcoming season.

Still, I'm not sure if simply playing the whole year for Bad Tölz in the Oberliga would be the best thing for him.

Wonder if they could work out something to have him be with Bender in the Salzburg MHL club???

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
just from twitter:

Andi Eder ‏@eder_andi 2h

One day left until training camp with the @WHLGiants #excited

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
just from twitter:

Andi Eder ‏@eder_andi 2h

One day left until training camp with the @WHLGiants #excited

I guess he will play for the Giants, if Tvrdon plays in the AHL. Osipov seems to be a lock for one of the import spots. So if Tvrdon plays another year in the WHL will have a hard time to get one of the import spots.
I do think that Tvrdon would also occupy an Overager spot, though I am not sure. So it might work out for Eder after all.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I guess he will play for the Giants, if Tvrdon plays in the AHL. Osipov seems to be a lock for one of the import spots. So if Tvrdon plays another year in the WHL will have a hard time to get one of the import spots.
I do think that Tvrdon would also occupy an Overager spot, though I am not sure. So it might work out for Eder after all.

Tvrdon will almost certainly go pro next season. Whether it's in the ECHL or AHL to start, he has nothing left to learn in junior.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
germans who are at the moment in USHL and NAHL:

USHL:
marcel kurth - des moines buccaneers
janik moeser - muskegon lumberjacks
frederik tiffels - muskegon lumberjacks

NAHL:
erik gollenbeck - aberdeen wings
lennart palausch - aberdeen wings
huba sekesi - bismarck bobcats
denis shevyrin - MN magicians
dominik tiffels - MN wilderness
lukas laub - odessa jackalopes
parker tuomie - wenatchee wild

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I have removed Tim Bender from the list. He is apparently playing his first game in the DEL tonight, so it seems that he won't be playing abroad.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Thanks Maverick for your work here. :handclap:

And the situation for Eder and Kammerer is still unclear? By the way, Kai Herpich and Artem Klein seem to have a good start in the MHL season with Salzburg II.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks Maverick for your work here. :handclap:

And the situation for Eder and Kammerer is still unclear? By the way, Kai Herpich and Artem Klein seem to have a good start in the MHL season with Salzburg II.

No problem, I love doing this. :D

Kammerer appears to be a lock to play for Regina this season, unless I missed something. From what I have read he has been doing well in the pre-season games.

I have not heard anything new about Eder.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I saw a couple of videos posted on the Pens board from last nights pre-season game. I hadn't seen Kühnhackl for a while so I was a little surprised to see how much he has grown. I mean there is still a lot room for him to get bigger, and even then he will never get as big as his dad, but compared to two years ago, when he was tall but so lanky and fragile looking, he now looks a lot more solid to me.
Hopefully this will help him to stay healthy for a change.

Last edited:

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I just wanted to stop by and thank you guys for compiling this list, I got a subscription for a streaming site and was looking for something like this as I can now watch all AHL and Major Junior games. Very helpful. :handclap:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So far I had no luck finding out why Marco Sedlar (Charlottetown Islanders) and Maximilian Kammerer (Regina Pats) did not play in their teams most recent games.

the skipper

Jan 16, 2010
Canada
It appears that Leon Draisaitl is starting the season exactly where he left off (I know, only 3 games but impressive so far. On another note, I was speaking with someone in Pittsburgh who said the Pens were really impressed with Kuhnhackl training camp. Nor bad for a guy who hasn't played much in the last 2 years. Obviously he was sent downbut he could be in line a call up this season if he continues his good play. As always, great job Maverick

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I have removed Herpich, who made his debut in the DEL on Sunday, and Zauner from this thread and moved them to my thread about German prospects in Europe. Just makes more sense. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad